Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PP heads and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All of our valve guides are diamond honed to size.I have an ISO 9000 quality system in place to make sure the product is right on.Quality is my number 1 goal.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what type or brand does pp install??? are the viton the best seal??? that must depend on single or double springs,????

Last edited by more carbon; 01-26-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the research I've just done, Viton seems to be the seal material of choice because of better sealing properties and better overall longevity. Teflon is good for short term, but as the valve wears the teflon seal stays the same size and allows more oil to bypass. Viton is more flexible and will shrink more allowing the valve to wear and still maintain good oil control.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

At this time,I use teflon pc seals.I am researching the valve seal world.I may switch to viton.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
All of our valve guides are diamond honed to size.I have an ISO 9000 quality system in place to make sure the product is right on.Quality is my number 1 goal.
if Quality was in mind then why do you install short term valve seals on your heads. is it that much more $$$ to use the viton seals. It seems more guys buying your heads are pulling them off after installing them. thats not good customer service in my book. mailing someone a new set of seals is a cheap way out for you. sorry for the negative but im sure who ever installed or paid to install these heads would agree.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike m
if Quality was in mind then why do you install short term valve seals on your heads. is it that much more $$$ to use the viton seals. It seems more guys buying your heads are pulling them off after installing them. thats not good customer service in my book. mailing someone a new set of seals is a cheap way out for you. sorry for the negative but im sure who ever installed or paid to install these heads would agree.
I never heard anything about " poor customer service" from Terry. I have a set of Patriot 5.3 heads and I have NO oil consumption issues. As far as bashing sponsors is not cool in my book. I'm sure Terry will be going over to viton seals very soon also.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have spoken to many seal companies and have been working with engines for years.I have never heard that the teflon pc seal is short term only.FYI,the teflon pc seal cost us more money than the viton seal from our supplier.Like I said in an earlier post,I am checking to see if I need to switch to the viton type seal.If need be,I will.Do you think I want to just sit here and ship out free seals that cost money?I do not wish that anyone has to work on their car twice.I want to use the best parts available.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

I have Patriot Stg 2 LS6 heads and i have no oil consumption problems whatso ever. I have had no problems outta these heads and they are excellent quality and terry is a stand up guy.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Launching!

I'm sure Terry will look into the valve seals. It doesn't seem to me he's ducking the problem but quite the opposite. This might be a isolated incident or valve guide supplier issue too. Terry keep us posted as to what comes out of all this.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok it seems to be more of a guide clearance issue. I talked to a well known engine builder. If the guide clearance is not right this would wear out the seals. You guys with oil loss should look into that.
mike98ws6 im not bashing a sponsor. i myself would not be happy if i had to pull my heads off it is a real pain in the ***. Not that you would know seeing as how you had someone else do the work, but im sure you wouldnt want to spend the $$$ to have them pulled back off right? Im just looking out for fellow ls1'ers to save them the hassle. it is things like pulling heads on and off that make people loose their interest in their cars.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok it seems to be more of a guide clearance issue. I talked to a well known engine builder. If the guide clearance is not right this would wear out the seals. You guys with oil loss should look into that.
mike98ws6 im not bashing a sponsor. i myself would not be happy if i had to pull my heads off it is a real pain in the ***. Not that you would know seeing as how you had someone else do the work, but im sure you wouldnt want to spend the $$$ to have them pulled back off right? Im just looking out for fellow ls1'ers to save them the hassle. it is things like pulling heads on and off that make people loose their interest in their cars.
Cool deal.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate the new seals, will PMed you my address. I am very happy with the service offered to me by PP. The world of producing power is trial and error, its good to have people back up their products!
Old 01-26-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robiferretti
I appreciate the new seals, will PMed you my address. I am very happy with the service offered to me by PP. The world of producing power is trial and error, its good to have people back up their products!
I will send the seals out tomorrow.I will send you a few extra in case some mess up on the install.Thanks,
Old 01-26-2004, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
I will send the seals out tomorrow.I will send you a few extra in case some mess up on the install.Thanks,
And people ask me why I've bought 6 sets of heads from this man in the last 18 months!! Even my Canfields that are on my mustang were done by him. Looking forward to the next set Terry, keep up the good work
Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh come on gomer did you really BUY 6 sets???? The way you post here for them you obviously didnt BUY the 6 sets. I think you win pimp of the year dude.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you use thread sealant on your rocker bolts? Most ported heads have the boss inside the intake port removed, and if you don't put sealant on the rocker bolts you can suck oil into the intake port. My car used to have a puff of smoke when I got on it, and used some oil after the H/C change. I put some Loctite PST on the threads and its all good.

Bruce
Old 01-26-2004, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

so uh Terry since I threw out the idea that it might be valve stem seals, and that is the problem , can I get a discount when I'm ready to buy some heads from ya??

Puhllllleeeease!
Old 01-26-2004, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

oh come on gomer did you really BUY 6 sets???? The way you post here for them you obviously didnt BUY the 6 sets. I think you win pimp of the year dude.
You are the ********** of the year, *** clown has already been taken. I have all six of the cancelled checks you SOB. I don't know what your ******* problem is, but unless you can contribute something technical, why don't you shut the **** up.
And I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey gomer its nice to see you get all upset and curse. did you kick your dog after you read this???? whast the matter boy you cant take a joke. and i have contributed plenty of techincal matter. i was addressing a problem with someones heads be it pp tea gtp absolute etc... i would put my 2 cents in. the only technical matter you ever have to say is how great terry is. let me ask yah did atleast one of those heads come with a set of knee pads???? and do me a favor after you get terrys dick outa your mouth you shut the **** up.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

ooh this is getting good now.

Quick Reply: PP heads and oil consumption