Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long till it ruins ur rings

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mtuggle86
My car has a cam so I doubt id tell a difference/slight miss at idle. It deff doesn't have a misfire at all while driving. It sucks thinking I could be losing some power/performance from such a stupid thing. Id say its fine though I'm sure people have drove on engines with misfires before longer then an hour before without issues.
They have, don't worry about it man. You can do this with or without raising the idle to beyond the chop of the cam, you can disconnect the coil or injector on that cylinder for a quick second and see how bad the affect is, and then go to another cylinder, that is usually a pretty laymans way of determining how strong a cylinder is firing, usually a low compression cylinder won't give you much of a shake in the engine when you pull the wire off the plug (or whatever method you use) but a strong cylinder will, this works especially well on an automatic car when in gear with the idle raised.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS

So you are saying a cylinder that is burning no fuel what so ever will be burning lean? You cannot burn lean nor rich if there is no fuel present so please explain that to me....

ok, ill explain this to you once...the O2 monitors one bank, that includes 4 cylinders...if one injector shuts down, there is no fuel on that cylinder. however, there is still air because the piston and valves are still letting fresh air in to be "burnt". guess where that fresh air goes...right out the exhaust past the O2 sensor causing a lean condition. end of story.

Lean and rich are relative to A/F ratio, so if there is no F in the A/F ratio how can it be lean?
this makes me giggle...

since there is no fuel on that cylinder, your only getting air...fresh air introduced into an exhaust system with 3 correctly operating cylinders spent gasses causes a lean condition...use your head.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bww3588
ok, ill explain this to you once...the O2 monitors one bank, that includes 4 cylinders...if one injector shuts down, there is no fuel on that cylinder. however, there is still air because the piston and valves are still letting fresh air in to be "burnt". guess where that fresh air goes...right out the exhaust past the O2 sensor causing a lean condition. end of story.

this makes me giggle...

since there is no fuel on that cylinder, your only getting air...fresh air introduced into an exhaust system with 3 correctly operating cylinders spent gasses causes a lean condition...use your head.
Really.... my god. let me break it down for you, use YOUR head, I said cylinder not bank, you even quoted me where I said cylinder.....
Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Really.... my god. let me break it down for you, use YOUR head, I said cylinder not bank, you even quoted me where I said cylinder.....
who gives a **** about the cylinder????? the o2 does not monitor each cylinder. one dead hole will cause a lean condition.

btw i also quoted you where you said "if there is no F in the A/F how can it be lean or rich?" well nobody cares if each cylinder is rich or not, if the O2 is doing its job it will compensate.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bww3588
who gives a **** about the cylinder????? the o2 does not monitor each cylinder. one dead hole will cause a lean condition.

btw i also quoted you where you said "if there is no F in the A/F how can it be lean or rich?" well nobody cares if each cylinder is rich or not, if the O2 is doing its job it will compensate.
Who gives a **** about a cylinder? Pretty much every person in this conversation that was having a conversation about a single cylinder issue, except you!! I am not talking about a bank or an 02, its not relative to my point, you are trying to tell me how things work that I already understand, I am trying to tell you that you have comprehension issues.

And yeah you did quote me on the A/F comment, and my point still stands the A/F of that cylinder is what is being spoken about, when did I ever say anything about a bank or an 02 sensor? You are looking at it like I was having a conversation about 02 sensors, fuel trims, or rich/lean conditions on a particular bank, I wasn't.

Does it click yet?????
Old 10-30-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines a stick car I pulled two different wires and the computer bumped up the idle so neither one made much of a difference at idle I couldn't really tell anything from that test
Old 10-30-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[quote=00pooterSS;14058826]

First you suck at quoting

I will agree with you on this one.

Third, you and phenomic keep saying misfire and running "perfectly" fine in the same sentance, not possible, never will be, misfire cannot equal running perfectly fine... Is that really that hard to understand?
Wow a misfire is not always an engine miss is that hard for you to understand?

So you are saying a cylinder that is burning no fuel what so ever will be burning lean? You cannot burn lean nor rich if there is no fuel present so please explain that to me....

Lean and rich are relative to A/F ratio, so if there is no F in the A/F ratio how can it be lean?
You are just playing bullshit word games here. You cant stop the pcm from compensating for then lean condition no matter how you word it. It will effect the whole bank.

Last edited by BaddBird; 10-30-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll solve this whole argument ladies.... My dick is bigger than all of yours. There, I win

EDIT: Post #1000 for me! Yay
Old 10-30-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=BaddBird;14059209]

First you suck at quoting

I will agree with you on this one.

Wow a misfire is not always an engine miss is that hard for you to understand?

You are just playing bullshit word games here. You cant stop the pcm from compensating for then lean condition no matter how you word it. It will effect the whole bank.
Hold on getting note pad, note to self: an engine misfire is not always an engine misfire. Got it!

And no, its not hard to understand but I would like you to point out where you have stated in this thread that there was something other than a misfire that was a misfire that I didn't understand...

Im assuming with that comment you are talking about something to the tune of how exhaust hitting the body of the car can cause false knock? Nope never heard of anything like that at all.

IWGF, Thank you sir, it was getting a bit tiring!

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 10-30-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're welcome mang. I'm glad I could clear things up for you fellas
Old 10-30-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[quote=00pooterSS;14059416]
Originally Posted by BaddBird

Hold on getting note pad, note to self: an engine misfire is not always an engine MISS. Got it!

And no, its not hard to understand but I would like you to point out where you have stated in this thread that there was something other than a misfire that was a misfire that I didn't understand...

Im assuming with that comment you are talking about something to the tune of how exhaust hitting the body of the car can cause false knock? Nope never heard of anything like that at all.

I'm going to make this short. Example P0300 throw a scan tool on the vehicle shows random misfires but the car has no miss. Only complaint is the Cel. There is a reflash update for the pcm to guess what? raise the threshold for the misfire counter. Re flash the pcm and guess what car still runs perfect and no Cel. Just one of many ways you can have a "misfire" and the engine run perfect as in no engine miss. If you are a dealer tech for those glorified Toyota's in a Lexus wrappers then you should be well aware of the keep the light out till the warranty is up game they play with the software updates. That is unless you are to busy zip tying floor mats and installing washers on the accelerator pedals. I do have a note for your note pad if you want any more info from me your going to have to give me a credit card # because I'm done schooling you for free.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=BaddBird;14059809]

I'm going to make this short. Example P0300 throw a scan tool on the vehicle shows random misfires but the car has no miss. Only complaint is the Cel. There is a reflash update for the pcm to guess what? raise the threshold for the misfire counter. Re flash the pcm and guess what car still runs perfect and no Cel. Just one of many ways you can have a "misfire" and the engine run perfect as in no engine miss. If you are a dealer tech for those glorified Toyota's in a Lexus wrappers then you should be well aware of the keep the light out till the warranty is up game they play with the software updates. That is unless you are to busy zip tying floor mats and installing washers on the accelerator pedals. I do have a note for your note pad if you want any more info from me your going to have to give me a credit card # because I'm done schooling you for free.
LOL that was pretty good, i'll have to give you that. But im gonna keep the card number man. I understand what you are saying about the threshold, its kinda like when Ford had an issues around 10 or so years ago with getting a CEL for misfire caused by rough roads and had to raise the threshold and now on the trucks especially the PCM will barely even pick up an actual misfire.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by IWGF
You're welcome mang. I'm glad I could clear things up for you fellas
Your sig pic is effin bad *** man, car looks good!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your sig pic is effin bad *** man, car looks good!
Thanks man! I need to get some updated pics with the new headlights and sidemolding removed. It's going under the knife soon though... Boosting time

Quick Reply: how long till it ruins ur rings