Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

block rear oil mod, learn from my mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont want to start a new thread and this may not be the place but it this the "oiling issue" associated with 97-98 ls1s. I currently have one at the machine shop and i am very interested in doing this mod. I have a few questions.....

again, Is this THE oiling issue associated with the 97-98 blocks?

Have you guys decided that it is best to modify just the block, just the cover or both?

How deep should the channel in the block be?I understand about the depth in the cover i think(only as deep as the factory points just all the way across)?

If this isnt the issue of the 98 blocks what is. I want to fix it if i can.

Thanks a ton!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just doing the cover should add 20% more volume, across this transfer channel, and is far safer than risking the block. Plus you can always go back to stock, in case you ever think of a reason to do so. Just replace the rear cover.
I don't have the answer to your other question.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm thinking about doing this to my 97 block,that I'm building now!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello poeple , why not just port out the aluminum cover instead ? It's aluminum as already stated and has plenty of extra material and if You were to screw it up it would'nt be nearly the large problem that screwing up the block would be and it would be easier to clamp guides to the cover ???
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Launching!

Sounds good, Ill do the cover. Anyone know about other 97-98 block issues?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by racer7088
I actually know some race shops that block that side back off on the ones with the channel cut bigger back there!

They want to keep primary oil pressure going to the crank first but yes those lifters on that side get more oil pressure.

Maybe VVT and DOD need more oil pressure to that side so they complete the oil into a ring front and back like this so oil can come from both sides and have the slightly higher vol pump too.

I just leave it all alone and never ever see any problems anyway.
What are you talking about erik, you've never seen the countless number of pass. side cylinder head and valvetrain failures due to lack of oiling????? I mean come on, it take minutes for the oil to get to that side. 35% of my business last year was replacing passenger side components in the earlier motors due to lack of oiling. LOL!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got my cover off going to start it tonight!!I agree,cover is replaceable!if I can almost double the size of the restrictive oil path It should help alot
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaltech Tuning
What are you talking about erik, you've never seen the countless number of pass. side cylinder head and valvetrain failures due to lack of oiling????? I mean come on, it take minutes for the oil to get to that side. 35% of my business last year was replacing passenger side components in the earlier motors due to lack of oiling. LOL!!!
Im picking up on your sarcasm ....
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Default rear channel

The depth I machine the rear channel to in the block is .400". You won't be able to get anywhere near that cross sectional area by machining the cover alone.

The rest of the oil passages in these blocks are identical to later blocks as far as I can see.

Steve
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kaltech Tuning

Yeah, I'd just leave it the hell alone. I see far worse problems by people hacking at their blocks with a dremel then "oil" issues. Regardless if it does take a little longer for oil to get to that side at idle as soon as you increase RPM/Pump flow that is going to change completely.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I measured my cover grove to be .233 x.220 in ..when I'm done with it on the mill it will be around .500 x .500!!that should double the oil flow!what u guys think??
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't double the depth of the channel, but if you could, you'd have 4x the volume, not just twice the volume.
You can't go any deeper, because you don't want to make the thin part of the cover any thinner. Trying to go double would break clean through.
Clean the old cover and the old gasket, plus the old bolts, then use the bolts to align the gasket to the cover. Then use a Sharpie to trace the gasket.
You can take the lines, but that's it. No farther.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went down almost double the depth,I was only able to make it .330 wide!still should help alot!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

this is neat to see. i like the trial and error approach with pictures. great information.

however; this looks like a recipe for oil starvation. that's great the ported pump will move tons of oil and now your passages will, too, but...oil needs to return equally as fast to be useful.

i really don't understand how the passenger side of the valvetrain could lack oil for minutes on startup (repeatedly) and not make a sound or give any problems (or even a hint of such) for hundreds of thousands of miles. i fail to see this logic.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
i really don't understand how the passenger side of the valvetrain could lack oil for minutes on startup (repeatedly) and not make a sound or give any problems (or even a hint of such) for hundreds of thousands of miles. i fail to see this logic.

What logic? Open up the passenger side valve cover, start the car & see for yourself. It's not a guess, it's fact.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s346k
Fear. If people don't see oil splashing around they think somethings wrong when in fact things are just fine. Obviously the lifters have to have oil or the damn thing wouldn't run... hehe
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-450
What logic? Open up the passenger side valve cover, start the car & see for yourself. It's not a guess, it's fact.
And what up there requires tons of oil? Nothing, your lifters have oil; the rockers basically rely on "splash" lube and don't require much at all.

You could run the damn engine without oil for a few mintues and the valvetrain (put solid lifters in it so you don't have to worry about the lifters pumping up) would be fine. The Main/Rod/Cam bearings would be the first to fail.

Your looking for a problem where there isn't one. There have been enough 7,500rpm plus screaming LSX engines in the last 13 years that have done fine without this mod.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chrome, you've already lost. You'd know that if you had read the first 3 pages of this thread. Being too lazy, or ignoring what you read if you did read it, just reflects poorly on you, and makes us laugh at you.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I went down almost double the depth,I was only able to make it .330 wide!still should help alot!
You probably made it too thin. I bet you it'll break as soon as it sees a cold start with lots of pressure.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah,I have about .090 thickness left!Should be good!

Quick Reply: block rear oil mod, learn from my mistake