Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does tsp make crap cams ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you saying the 2.5 5.3 heads have stock guides? when i looked at them they looked bronz to me

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
I don't mean to be negative but every TSP GM ported head has FACTORY GM guides in them. Every casting is brand new. They absolutely do NOT have different length guides in them. If the cam had a bad core, we could have more than likely got it replaced with Comp. A simple phone call would have more than likely got it resolved.

Jon
Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my tsp cam is doing fine. its not the best cam but its far from the worst it was priced perfect! its a proven setup with good numbers through the power band. I don't have a ton of miles on it so who knows but so far it hasen't given me any reason to doubt
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Ok you called 6 months ago but the heads were pulled yesterday,is it just me or am I missing something here,I'm 100% positive if something was wrong with anything you got from them they would fix it,Jfolm I agree with you totally
I called 6 months ago about the cam, they said there was really no way to prove that was a bad core, lifters could have been hangin a bit and caused the damage or something else. I was running stock lifters at the time. I left it at that, b/c there was an NA custum cam just taken out of someone elses car, so I just went with that. Yes, the cam could have been something else. The cam was not that big of an issue, however they did not jump at the chance of sending me a new one.

I have not called about the heads because I still have not seen them with them off yet. I was planning on it today, but the car wont be running til tomarrow, so I will just make one trip tomarrow. I did see the valvetrain wear and feel the valve play with the covers pulled a few days ago. I want to see the heads before I call about it. The shop is telling me there are different lenght guides and that caused a problem, now they need to be replaced along with the valves and rockers.

Maybe I came out a little strong, but I am frustrated with the situation. I prolly should not have posted anything before I called, but I didnt make a thread that says "Texas Speed Sucks" or anything like that.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JFOLM
Some people do not want to call the vendor after something goes bad. They just will chunk the cam and give the company they bought it from a bad name. Regardless of who did the grind.
I actually did call, I did not get a new cam, and did not say or post **** about it at the time.

Now that I have a possible second issue I am bringing it up.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club

TSP was great for me, around 8k on my cam setup from those guys, spraying 200 on my Torquer 2 and it love it! Times in sig...
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Launching!

HE SAID .... !!!! i don't see your tuner breaking any records that we know off .... TSP is a well respected vendor & i think your post should have been more appropriate by not bringing what sort of junk talk you heard in this thread. TSP all the way & if its a cam choice go with the MS3 (It likes those 125-200shots)
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark97ta
Yes I live in eastern NC, and I don't know if I should say his name or not but his shop is in Vanceboro and his first name is William. I actually talked to someone at tsp today and he took plenty of time to answer all my questions and was helpful and sold me on a 228r.
Yeah exactly who I thought. I could have told you that was going to happen beforehand. I can assure you we know what we are doing and can get you setup with the right, quality parts for anything you are doing.

Jon
Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Again, PRC stock casting heads have used GM guides as long as I can remember. They are all CNC ported. Each head is the same as the next. Each port is the same as the one next to it. I don't think the CNC machine just decided on this set of heads to say "screw it, I'm cutting this one different!" If there is a valve guide wear issue, maybe the valvetrain wasn't setup properly. It is probably more likely of that than the CNC machine theory.

On the cam situation, it is a Comp core. It is up to Comp to warranty. We have no problem getting you setup with them to have them take a look at it. It's not like someone can just call and say I have a bad cam I need a new one. It has to be inspected by the manufacturer. Not saying that's what you expected but you mentioned we did jump to send you a new one so I thought I'd give you the reason why.

Jon
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J LT1 TA
does your friend work at a nissan dealership?

I guess I am the only one that caught this. Bunch of great guys over at TSP.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Philip@HPE

I remember that thread
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Captain Double Post

Yeah silver I feel ya its frustrating when things like that happen,I wish ya the best of luck getting things back together,who knows what the issue could be,you never know with what a shop says,trust me I've had smoke blown up my a$$ by a few people,that's why I like dealing with tsp though always been straight up people
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

TSP has been around for a very long time.. If their service, and products suck they would not be in business anymore.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya i got it right away too but i was still shocked by the thread...
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Launching!

I was waiting for someone to catch it.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought some tsp heads a couple years ago andqas from impressed with the quality. I will never buy heads from them again.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I remember the Nissan fiasco too.

I ordered from TSP a week ago and they were great to me! I think they are a great asset to the community and on the phone very nice and helpful.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

To update this thread, I was just giving an opinion of a tuner in the area. It was not what I wanted to hear, because I was wanting to install a TSP cam kit. In a nut shell, his opinion was that " if I ordered the as is cam kit" I would not be getting and or installing the right length push rods, Because quote unquote the ls1 engine has too much lifter pre load in stock form. I now know after talking to him and TSP that he has some personal issue with TSP and that is his own personal issue. NOT MINE ! I have ordered everything needed to do my cam swap from tsp and I wait to get the chance to install it. Every one I talked to at TSP was very helpful and knew off hand of who gave me the "bad" opinion of TSP.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I think you made a good decision. I have TSP heads and cam in my car and I'm happy with the results. They are nice to do business with, ship fast and have always been helpful when I've had a question. I'm glad to see you are having a similar experience. When you have this many positive comments from people who have no vested interest in the outcome (its not like TSP sends out free parts for saying nice stuff about them) that says a lot about the company.

Good Luck with your build .... ONLY 90 days until spring !
Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

TSP knows what they are doing. Ive been more than pleased with the results in performance and customer service Ive got from them.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nissan dealership, that's great!