Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged 347 for NA....waste?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nastyss
Believe me, id thought about it more than once, just don't have the funds , id rather have a badass NA motor than a halfass boosted setup for around the same price
I'm starting to plan for mine now.. but it will happen in like 1.5-2yrs
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultimately it is up to you but I went with a LQ9 408. A little bit of extra weight is really the only penalty. Payed 350 for the block, crank, pistons, rods. Bought a callies comsptar crank for approx 900, mahle pistons for 600, callies rods for 600, ecs blower cam for 400, and 317 heads from SAM for 1050. So im in for 3900. All the rest of the parts have come to about 5k(which you have a lot of parts already from your old block). Not too bad really when you consider N/A it will make 500-550rwhp at 9.5:1. Just giving options. Whatever you decide, it will be fun.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO a poorly done forced induction motor will make more power than a correctly done NA.

Now if you do the forced induction properly.....
Applying the available power becomes your biggest problem.

One nice thing is that a even seriously speced blown motor has excellent street manners and it will have a far greater chance of passing emissions should that ever become an issue.
Another is you can run any fuel you want to with a simple boost adjustment and you can extract the extra performance that true race gas provides via this same adjustment.
A stout NA motor will always require premium and will not benefit as much running higher octane fuel. Changing from 93 to 116 on a boosted motor can be worth 250 hp (properly tuned for the 116 at a higher boost level).

In the long run it is hard to beat boost, especially if cost is a factor.
I would think that a reasonable turbo system should be able to be built for approx the same amount of money that tricking out a NA motor would cost.

Kurty85's motor sounds perfect for boost! On 93 at 8psi I'd expect 750+hp and on 116 at 18-20 psi more than 1000 HP.
This would tend to consume driveline componets and rear tires at a faster rate however.
I also believe that motor will run fine on 87 non-boosted (not that you should).
Properly built I would also expect 100K miles+ street use out of it at the 750 hp level.
Not boosting that motor would be a crime IMO.

Start out with a stroker built to the lowest compression that will meet your immediate goals. This may provide you with further options down the road if you HAVE to have more power.

Quick Reply: Forged 347 for NA....waste?