Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should a brand new cam look like PICS posted?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do pitted lobes look like and what is the best way to determine how bad they are?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks like cosmoline. its used on lots of different equiptment and new rifles military stuff. if it is it will come off with brake cleaner. i have never seen comp ship a cam with it on their cams?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Teching In

i got the exact same cam from tsp about three weeks ago it had the same marks as yours. i cleaned it up with soome break cleaner, lubed it up and put er in. its workin good. make shure the lobes are in good shape
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

So it appears that the verdict is to try and clean it with break cleaner

TSP has a pretty good rep on this forum so I am sure they will go out of there way to make it right.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Ive had cams look like that, and all i done was take a rage and soak it down with gas and wipe it off . The oily residue is when the cam is spray or dip in a rust preventer and drys over time to give it that look.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Call TSP first so they are aware before you touch the cam. It may be simple rust protective coating, but speaking with TSP first will notify them of the concern in case it turns out that there is an issue. They will likely tell you to clean it and see if its OK, but at least they are involved in the decision if something is wrong with the cam.

They have good customer service, if there is an issue I'm sure they will replace it if necessary.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give us a call and we'll get it replaced ASAP! Sorry for the inconvenience...but as they said, they definitely should never be shipped looking like that! We'll get the issue fixed at no cost to you, rest assured

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll bet if you clean it up it will be perfect...you always will have to clean one up before you install it....all of them have crap inside of them and the stuff on the lobes looks like dried up rust preventive like cosmoline .. get some brake clean and give it a good cleaning...get a coat hanger and straighten it out and pull a rag through the inside like you would clean a rifle barrel and it will be fine...just a FYI for ya it is always better to notify the vendor first if you have a problem rather than throw them under the bus on the forum... Texas Speed has a very good reputation for their customer service...
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Send it back, pronto.......

Bozz
Old 12-29-2010, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

Already talked with him. He's going to clean it and see if it is the coating or actual rust. If it is rust, we will get it exchanged, no problem.

Jon
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I'd follow your vendor's advise.
Posts like the one above from them have gained them yet another customer with me although I haven't purchased anything yet. Looks like they are top-notch guys.
Did you e-mail them the pictures first? You should have...
When it's time to buy I'm contacting them first.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

TSP has replaced cams for me before without any pictures. They call Comp. Cams and Comp send another one out in my case the same day.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TSP really is the best in the Game when it comes down to customer service. Hands down.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That actually looks REALLY protected against corrosion to me. You should be able to use WD-40 to clean that off.

When we get a brand new CNC machine in for a customer, the ENTIRE inside of the machine looks like someone set off a bomb of that stuff...but when you clean it off, it's all PERFECT with no corrossion at all...the stuff is a little sticky, so sometimes it makes cardboard and other stuff stick to it, and sometimes that looks like sawdust...or it also could actually be sawdust from a pallet it may have been on at some time during shipping.

The flash might be making a couple pieces of lint look like scratches too...but I'd clean it with regular old paper towel and WD-40 (wear gloves, edges of cam lobes can be SHARP), then make sure it's free of lint, inspect it, and then COVER it in motor oil and install it...if WD-40 isn't strong enough, I guess use brake cleaner...I'd use mineral spirits though as I don't like smelling that much brake cleaner...makes me feel like I'm going to pass out.

Either way, props to TSP for posting up and saying they'll make it right if it's not ok...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Already talked with him. He's going to clean it and see if it is the coating or actual rust. If it is rust, we will get it exchanged, no problem.

Jon
And that is why i love working with Texas Speed! great company!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

After cleaning the cam with brake cleaner some off the brown sticky stuff did come off. There was still alot of staining from the brown antirust protectant on it so I called TSP. I spoke with Jon and he was extremely helpful. I was informed that the staining was due to the colder temperature and how the cam is oriented in the comp cam box and that it would not effect the functionality or durability of the cam. He even offered to send me a freshly grinded cam directly from comp if i still did not feel comfortable with the cam. These guys have great customer service, care about their customers and stand by there product. Thanks again TSP for for all the help.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Use one of those plastic non metallic brillow type pads made by Scotch .. it will not hurt the surface of the cam but it should remove the stain of the cosmoline.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Teching In

great vendor steps up again. hats off to tsp.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Use one of those plastic non metallic brillow type pads made by Scotch .. it will not hurt the surface of the cam but it should remove the stain of the cosmoline.
Idk, but I wouldn't use a scotchbrite pad on a cam, just my opinion. Cosmoline is usually pretty reasy to clean off, but it does get really hard if subjected to heat. We deal with it when we get new rifles, machine guns, etc out here. It just looks like it needs a bath in a solvent tank. Kudos to TSP for stepping up as always!
Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

If a Shotchbrite pad caused damage to a camshaft throw the cam in the trash..believe me a camshaft is very durable and a whole lot tougher than a scotchbrite pad..I am very familar with cosmoline...I have cleaned it off of weapons that it had ben on for 2,3,&4 decades.

Quick Reply: Should a brand new cam look like PICS posted?