Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should a brand new cam look like PICS posted?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not saying it would damage it, i just wouldn't do it on my own cam, call me cautious lol...now if it was someones i didnt like, out comes the die grinder
Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is the reason I suggested using a scotchbrite pad ... because it will not damage the cam...a steel lifter under hundreds of pounds of pressure from a set of dual valve springs puts a huge amount more pressure on the camshaft surface than the scotchbrite pad ever will....camshaft lobes are very hard to say the least.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveX
I would clean it up before doing anything else. If it still looks bad I'm sure they will make it right. They come with sticky gunk on them to keep them from rusting and some debris from the factory is not uncommon from my experience.
Originally Posted by ebk06
My cam from TSP had brown sticky stuff on it. Its a protectant and should come off with brake cleaner. I sprayed the entire cam off inside and out and wiped it off with a clean lint free cloth and it looked fine after that. Try cleaning it and if the lobes look pitted or scared call TSP and send it back.
Like DaveX and ebk06 said, it may just be dried up cosmoline(protectant). If it washes off with solvent and the cam is perfect, smooth and shiny after cleaning, then no worries. If it does not come off and/or it appears to be pits or irregularities in the surface of the metal, then it needs to go back.

Recently, I bought a Comp Cam from Streetside and it was rusted as hell. I sent it back and Comp Cams drop shipped me a new cam that arrived smooth and coated with a nice layer of oil.

Whatever you do, make sure you clean out the bore of the camshaft. Both of the cams I received had judicious amounts of crap in the bore. I used a 20 gauge shot gun bore brush.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If a Shotchbrite pad caused damage to a camshaft throw the cam in the trash..believe me a camshaft is very durable and a whole lot tougher than a scotchbrite pad..I am very familar with cosmoline...I have cleaned it off of weapons that it had ben on for 2,3,&4 decades.

I use Scotch Brite pad on my cam shaft and other engine parts to clean them up some times, There are different grade of pads , like the Red is course , the blue is medium , gray is light for aluminum. I use the blue ,it clean and polish, does not scare the metal.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Is it just me or does some of the journals looks like the cam was installed before? Lines going parallel to the length of the cam. I personally wouldn't install ANY cam with any markes on a machined surface.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

yea i just got my v2 in this week and it was pretty nasty wasnt very impressed looked like it had been sitting around a long time the grease was all dried up and had stickers on it deff gonna need some cleaning
Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I clean cosmoline off guns with a steamer and a soft nylon brush. If you have one you might want to try that. Just make sure it's dry when you're done.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the top row farthest picture on the right it looks like the cam is knicked/scratched up. I wouldn't put that in my motor
Old 12-31-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AutomagicLS1
In the top row farthest picture on the right it looks like the cam is knicked/scratched up. I wouldn't put that in my motor
It looks like it but i think its debris

Quick Reply: Should a brand new cam look like PICS posted?