Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to install cam. Have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to install cam. Have a couple questions.

Hey guys. I just bought a FMS F4 226/226 .575/.575 114+4 cam, Futral pushrods, and Comp 918 springs from the Futral GP and had a couple questions.

The president of my club is helping me do the install and has most of the tools. He said that I'll need to get:
-Bases (Are these just the Keepers?)
-Retainers (I was under the impression that I could use my stock ones. Should I go aftermarket??)
-Crank Pulley Bolt (Where can I get this? I've read that I should get a longer one than stock)
-Valve Spring Compressor (Is the More Performance one the best? It's a bit pricey...)
-Flywheel Locking Tool (Can I rent this from somewhere like Checker, or should I buy one? Where can I get one?)

Also, I have an A4 car with a Predator. I have James (RWTD) working on some custom tunes for me right now. Do you think he will be able to tune it well enough for my car to run after the swap? I'll be 2 hours away from home and the last thing I want is to not be able to drive my car after the new cam goes in.

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone knows where I can buy all this stuff in one place please let me know. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can use your stock retainers.

you dont need spring seats for 918s (bases)

You can check out www.freewebs.com/blaino under mods for the pics of spring tools i used, and also look over www.ls1howto.com

yes you will need a new crank bolt, not neccessarily a longer one though.
good luck
Old 02-09-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dracus
Hey guys. I just bought a FMS F4 226/226 .575/.575 114+4 cam, Futral pushrods, and Comp 918 springs from the Futral GP and had a couple questions.

The president of my club is helping me do the install and has most of the tools. He said that I'll need to get:
-Bases (Are these just the Keepers?)
-Retainers (I was under the impression that I could use my stock ones. Should I go aftermarket??)
-Crank Pulley Bolt (Where can I get this? I've read that I should get a longer one than stock)
-Valve Spring Compressor (Is the More Performance one the best? It's a bit pricey...)
-Flywheel Locking Tool (Can I rent this from somewhere like Checker, or should I buy one? Where can I get one?)

Also, I have an A4 car with a Predator. I have James (RWTD) working on some custom tunes for me right now. Do you think he will be able to tune it well enough for my car to run after the swap? I'll be 2 hours away from home and the last thing I want is to not be able to drive my car after the new cam goes in.

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone knows where I can buy all this stuff in one place please let me know. Thanks again!
phone Allan and he can set you on the path,not sure what bases are?? are this the seats for the springs,stock retainers are good to go,James will mail tune you ok-might take a couple of tries,valve spring tool is on this site in tool section-good small tool for 30$,if you have a garage close to your swap site get them to zap off the balancer bolt and just hand tigten it till you get to the garage,turn off AC on drive home,if you don't do this starter has to come off and a lot of beer will go down compared to 1 min. at garage.stock bolt should work,why would it need to be longer??? also-oil pump & timing set if your car is in need,have fun,car will come alive with a better stick!!
Old 02-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

OK, I think I've pretty well found the answer to all my questions. I don't need new bases or retainers, I can rent a spring compressor tool from autozone, and should be able to rent a flywheel locking tool from there as well. I found a crank bolt on tbyrne.com and will probably order that.

Any other information / input is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

The spring tool from autozone sucks.......the rental that is,

go buy the cheap 12 dollar one to remove the springs with.

and look at my website i posted to see the other compressor Im talking about.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

What did you guys use to secure your flywheel to make sure it didn't spin when you took out the crank bolt? Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have used a big prybar, and slipped it in one of the mounting lugs on the torque converter, through the inspection hole on the bottom of the bellhousing. I've also built a jig to bolt where the starter goes, and then bolts through the flywheel into the converter. Many of the rental flywheel locking tools are intended for older cars with one piece bellhousings -- they have a BIG inspection cover that comes down and exposes about 1/3 of the flywheel circumference -- the LS1 has a two-piece bellhousing that completely encircles the flywheel. The longer crank pulley bolt is used to pull the pulley back on, since the stock bolt's threads won't reach.. You can always tap the pulley on CAREFULLY with a mallet as well, just make sure you get it on far enough to not pull the first couple threads out of the crank
Old 02-09-2004, 02:10 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I just stuck a screwdriver or a allen wrench through the flex plate where the starter bolts up to lock the flywheel.

You should get a longer bolt...it costs $3 and you can get it from http://www.mcmaster.com, part # 95430A478

The longer bolt is ONLY USED TO START THE PULLEY, do not seat the pulley with the longer bolt. You'll also need a washer, which you can get from mcmaster, or home depot.

Then you'll need a stock replacement bolt.

All this is written up on http://www.ls1howto.com
Old 02-09-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

autozone tools are worthless...youll end up breaking their spring compressor at least 4 times before you are done. My snap on is a dream come true. I personally ust shove a pry bar in to keep the flywheel from spinnin.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Todd@DiscountTireDirect
autozone tools are worthless...youll end up breaking their spring compressor at least 4 times before you are done. My snap on is a dream come true. I personally ust shove a pry bar in to keep the flywheel from spinnin.
Is that how you guys did my cam Todd? LOL
Old 02-09-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000Blackout
Is that how you guys did my cam Todd? LOL

I gently inserted a pry bar oh so softly between your flywheel teeth. And yes, we broke like 2 autozone tools on your car.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmX
I just stuck a screwdriver or a allen wrench through the flex plate where the starter bolts up to lock the flywheel.

You should get a longer bolt...it costs $3 and you can get it from http://www.mcmaster.com, part # 95430A478

The longer bolt is ONLY USED TO START THE PULLEY, do not seat the pulley with the longer bolt. You'll also need a washer, which you can get from mcmaster, or home depot.

Then you'll need a stock replacement bolt.

All this is written up on http://www.ls1howto.com
Thanks man, that is some good info. I've already read the howto on ls1howto.com and that's where some of these questions originated.

PlainwhiteZ28: Where can I buy the spring tools that you show on your site?

Thanks again guys.