Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water In Oil Cap, And Milky PCV System From Valve Cover, Any Ideas? Pic Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Water In Oil Cap, And Milky PCV System From Valve Cover, Any Ideas? Pic Inside

I got a brand new motor less then 1k miles on it, the car is running bad, not overheating at all. the pcv system that goes to the intake manifold from the driver side valve cover has milky oil, looks yellow. the tuner couldnt tune the car cause it was running bad (spitting sputtering), i pulled the oil cap and water droplets were in the oil cap. any ideas? im hoping its not a blown headgasket cause i dont have the money to fix it at this time....i blocked the hose off thats coming from the intake so no more water gets in there. but i dunno. i was thinking spark plugs next. doesnt appear to be any water in oil dipstick

Last edited by 1Ls1; 01-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

If you looked at it while it was cold then every LS1 will have that, its condensation & will go away once the car is up to operating temp. This freaks out alot of people until they find out what it is exactly. Now if it appears this way once at operating temp then you have a head gasket issue.

If its just sputtering & running weird double check all vaccum lines as a vaccum leak will cause erratic idle & a poor running engine. If that checks out go on to spark plugs & make sure they are in good condition & gapped properly for your set-up.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Ls1
I got a brand new motor less then 1k miles on it, the car is running bad, not overheating at all. the pcv system that goes to the intake manifold from the driver side valve cover has milky oil, looks yellow. the tuner couldnt tune the car cause it was running bad (spitting sputtering), i pulled the oil cap and water was in the oil cap. any ideas? im hoping its not a blown headgasket cause i dont have the money to fix it at this time....i blocked the hose off thats coming from the intake so no more water gets in there. but i dunno. i was thinking spark plugs next. doesnt appear to be any water in oil dipstick

It sounds like it could be a head gasket issue. Who assembled the engine...you should consult them about this problem...a new engine should be have a warranty?

Forget the spark plug thing,that's not the root cause of this problem and new plugs wouldn't resolve the issue.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Red face

was the motor new or was it rebuilt. my friend had similar symptoms after doing a head swap and turned out that the gasket somehow didn't seal properly. milky oil is typically not a good thing. definatly check into it b4 any major damage is done. maybe try to do a compression check as well. if the gasket is leaking then it might bleed off pressure. you can buy a compression checker at a local autoparts store or from one of the sponsors her for prolly $20.

good luck
Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Like Big Mike said recheck your cap for milky white stuff when the motor is warmed up. If it's not overheating and your not losing any water then the substance is coming from the condensation which is typical with these motors.

Double check your connectors from the PCM to the coil packs also make sure the fuel injector connectors are on good and in the correct order. Both have gotten me before
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

i just dont understand why the milky stuff from the pcv would be coming from the valve cover.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1Ls1
i just dont understand why the milky stuff from the pcv would be coming from the valve cover.
Again, did you check it with the engine up at operating temps or cold? You can get that whitish lookin sludge anywhere oil & condensation meet. And the PCV is tied into the valve covers & intake manifold. Hence why most people delete the PCV & run a catch can or breathers to eliminate the oil mist from goin back into the intake manifold.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure the car gets good and warm (up to temp for at least 10 min) then recheck. I call it the beer can effect. Some dodge motors are horrible about condensation
Old 01-14-2011, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Again, did you check it with the engine up at operating temps or cold? You can get that whitish lookin sludge anywhere oil & condensation meet. And the PCV is tied into the valve covers & intake manifold. Hence why most people delete the PCV & run a catch can or breathers to eliminate the oil mist from goin back into the intake manifold.
yes the car was fully warmed up and at operating temperature, this was on the dyno when i noticed it. was tuning it for atleast hour n a half...
Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Then its gonna be head gasket related, dont run it anymore & start tearin into it before you ruin the bearings. I bet when you drain the oil out it looks like chocolate milk then. Not good. Can be salvaged but depending on how much its been driven with the water in the oil will depend on bearing condition. Hopefully you can just flush it all out with a couple oil changes & fresh head gaskets.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your blocked off hoses are about the worst thing you can do, the water vapor now has no way out at all.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Have you checked coolant level?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

coolant is full, and the oil is clean, not milky. only the hose on the intake is blocked off, not the pcv valve. the car has 70 psi oil pressure cold start up and 50 warmed up.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

ever since i put on a LS6 valley cover ......i have no milkshake in my oil cap......FWIW

Quick Reply: Water In Oil Cap, And Milky PCV System From Valve Cover, Any Ideas? Pic Inside