Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Prc heads are In. Dyno Numbers Inside Finally!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw that. Man you guys are good. Thanks a lot. Says delivery by end of day. wonder how late they deliver since it is 530. Sorry to hijack thread

OK literally just arrived 545 lol

Last edited by CNTLSE 1; 01-18-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
8 Second Club

Those heads are nice bro.. Does TSP mill the heads also or did you send them somewhere else? Did u get bronze valve guides or powder metallic? I'm lookin at a set of those myself
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT_EATR
Those heads are nice bro.. Does TSP mill the heads also or did you send them somewhere else? Did u get bronze valve guides or powder metallic? I'm lookin at a set of those myself
Tsp mills free of charge.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CNTLSE 1
Saw that. Man you guys are good. Thanks a lot. Says delivery by end of day. wonder how late they deliver since it is 530. Sorry to hijack thread

OK literally just arrived 545 lol
Congrats.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_EATR
We mill them for free. They all get a clean-up mill to ensure they are perfectly flat anyway, so why charge extra to mill them more?? It's just a matter of pressing a few different buttons on the machine to load a different milling program

All of the GM casting heads have the powder metal guides from the factory (to the best of my knowledge anyway). So unless we are porting a used set that someone sends in, these will ship with the brand new OE guides as installed by GM.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome. Those are hot. I can't wait to order some beautiful heads.

While you have the motor our PLEASE install an 04+ LS6 Valley cover! I don't burn a drop of oil after that mod! and it cleaned up the engine bay by getting rid of ugly PCV hoses
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Awesome. Those are hot. I can't wait to order some beautiful heads.

While you have the motor our PLEASE install an 04+ LS6 Valley cover! I don't burn a drop of oil after that mod! and it cleaned up the engine bay by getting rid of ugly PCV hoses
Well my first initial plans were to get rid of the pcv system competely because I got new valve covers that do not have pcv connections, but I keep hearing thats not a good idea on a street car. I was just going to install breathers on the valve covers, but I'm not to sure if this is a good idea. I'm really not that familiar with the ls6 valley cover, how does it work?

Last edited by Greekey; 01-19-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Do some reading on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ley-cover.html

There's 2 Ls6 Valley Covers. The Pre-04 one still has a PCV valve, but it ventilates from the crankcase at the valley cover, and the PCV valve is right near the throttle body in a U- bend tube. The 04+ has an oil seperator builtin to the bottom of the cover, and it doesn't even have a PCV valve. You can remove all PCV hoses from the motor, except the hose from the passenger valve cover to the throttle body.

I have not burned a DROP of oil since I added mine several months ago. I used to add a quart of oil between changes.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do some reading on this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ley-cover.html

There's 2 Ls6 Valley Covers. The Pre-04 one still has a PCV valve, but it ventilates from the crankcase at the valley cover, and the PCV valve is right near the throttle body in a U- bend tube. The 04+ has an oil seperator builtin to the bottom of the cover, and it doesn't even have a PCV valve. You can remove all PCV hoses from the motor, except the hose from the passenger valve cover to the throttle body.

I have not burned a DROP of oil since I added mine several months ago. I used to add a quart of oil between changes.
Okay but what do I do if I dont have a pcv connection on the passenger valve cover for the line that runs from there to the throttle body? Run a breather?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't positively answer that, but I'm sure a breather would be fine since the crankcase pressure is being relieved elsewhere. But then again, it might even be able to be capped off.. I really don't even know why that hose is there.

EDIT: just did some reading. It's for fresh air into the crankcase. It's being "vacuumed" through the valley cover into the intake manifold, and the hose from the valve cover to the throttle body is supposed to feed it fresh air.

Maybe just run a breather on the oil fill cap? But it might not even be necessary, I'm not sure in your case...

Last edited by HoLLo; 01-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Installed driver head and header lastnight. I think I'm going to install a ls6 valley cover on it. I managed to break a knock sensor that was in good shape trying to get the connection removed. And my other knock sensor looked like it fought in Vietnam, so I'll be replacing those too. Would it be a good time to measure for pushrod length now since I can visually see the lifter on the base circle of the cam?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks like a great time to measure pushrods.. Good choice on the valley cover.. You can see where the cut was made right there in the block. You will need to make the cut. Here you can see for reference. I installed the valley cover once I had an SES code for a bad knock sensor, so what better time to do it?

Here is where you have to cut.. on your picture, its that chunk on the left side right after the 2nd bolt hole.. Easily doable with a fullsize hacksaw.

and here was my knock sensor.. So i just put two new ones in
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow your knock sensor looks like ***. You used a hacksaw? or Dremel? How do some people use a hacksaw in there? Just looks so congested.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was probably the simplest single quote explanation I've seen on the subject. Nice way to sum it up!!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hollo I seen a block plug for the driver rear pcv port on the valve cover but I cant find it again. Is their a part number for the plug?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I guess some moisture was stuck in that knock sensor cavity for years... I was able to use a full size hacksaw in there surprisingly and cut that chunk off the block. I was surprised myself. Made less of a mess than a dremel would.... I just made one cut straight down, and then used some vise grips to break it off

And the block plug for the valve cover does have a specific part number that was like $5. I went to the hardware store and bought a big pack of vacuum caps for like $5, came with a bunch. Which included ones to cover both of the ports on the valve covers. Make sure you buy the specific u-bend tube made for the 04+ LS6 valley cover though!

Last edited by HoLLo; 01-20-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay thanks for the help. God this project was expensive.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I bet..

Anyways back to the heads. Great looking heads, can't wait to have a set of my own... Maybe when I get back from Iraq..
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bet..

Anyways back to the heads. Great looking heads, can't wait to have a set of my own... Maybe when I get back from Iraq..
Planning on getting the same ones?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

So far, yes. And I will drop this Patriot cam for a custom grind, along with a whole new valvetrain, rebuilt tranny, new clutch, and a Moser 9".

Quick Reply: My New Prc heads are In. Dyno Numbers Inside Finally!!!