Sponsored by:

My LQ4 engine swap / build thread...witness the debacle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Make sure you use the lube that comes with the mounts to lube the inside of the clamshell mounts.
I will...sounds like the can squeek like hell if you don't.

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
I see you went with the best color possible! Anyone that doesn't like that SOM with that Intake is

I'm hawk-eyeing this thread, good stuff!
I think it's going to look great. Eventually I'm going to put a set of Torque Thrust Ms on the car, and I may go with Anthracite now to match everything.

Originally Posted by Shutdown Theory
you gunna paint your block and engine parts?
Oh yeah. Pretty much everything that I can get my hands on except for the actual engine bay will get painted.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

OK, more minor progress today. I got all the accessory brackets cleaned, masked, and painted, and made room in the garage for my short block, which will arrive tomorrow night. Then I can really start getting down to brass tacks.

Here's the valvecovers, which I cleaned up and painted...

Before

After

Motor mount clamshells, painted to match intake

Motor mount pedestals, also same color as intake

Coil brackets

Fuel rails...silver with some light clear coat

Accessory brackets and water pump should be finished tomorrow. Then onto the wire mod in the engine bay.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Finally got my short block in, and it looks to be in pretty good shape. I was a little disappointed to see that the balancer was chipped, which the guy that sold it to me failed to tell me about, so I'll be pulling the balancer off the LS1 to use instead. But at least now I can get started on assembly of the new motor.

Tomorrow I'll get the new shortblock on the engine stand, swap my oil pan over, and start getting things cleaned up and painted.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and I also ordered a Tick speed bleeder for the clutch, and a new-style LS6 valley cover for the new motor. That should help clean up some of the tubing in the engine bay.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pics of the new stuff?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a great thread. I hope it becomes a sticky. With tax time here this is perfect for many with questions. I have been kicking around the idea of a engine build. I was thinking 6.0 aluminum, maybe a L76 or something similar. Your pictures are indeed worth a thousand words. Glad you are documenting this and sharing with all of us.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love this thread! Im looking at doing this swap in the future with a procharger. I really like how detailed you are being with painting and the minor details, they are what makes a car unique! Im suscribed
Old 02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Alright, got the engine on the engine stand today, and started pulling the trans and bellhousing off the old LS1. Trans came out no problem, but let me tell you about those dowel pins holding the bell onto the engine...unreal. We finally got it all apart, pulled the clutch and flywheel off, and hoisted the motor up far enough to pull the oil pan off. The previous owner of my LQ4 had an LS1 oil pan with pickup tube and windage tray on the motor, but needed the pan for his new build, so I pulled mine and swapped it over. The LQ4 was shipped to me on a pretty sweet little wooden crate, so I decided to store the LS1 on it until its time for a rebuild.

I was disappointed to find that the balancer on the LQ4 had a significant chip/break in it, so I pulled the balancer off the LS1 and have it ready to go on after I swap the cams. The LQ4 currently has a Torquer V2 in it, but since I had a cam custom spec'd for the new build, that will be coming out.

On to the pics...

Here's the LQ4 that will be going in. This shortblock had about 40k miles on it, and was upgraded with a ported oil pump from TSP, and LS2 timing chain. The brass contraption directly above the oil filter is unique to the LQ4, and I have no idea what it is for...

A close-up of said contraption...

Other side...another issue unique to the LQ4 is the lack of a bolt hole where a ground screw goes on the LS1. It's right next to the 4 motor mount bolt holes on the LS1, but not present on the LQ4. I'll have to figure out something there.

Trans and bellhousing. Both will receive a thorough cleaning and new paint before going back in. You can see the slightly rusty dowel pins on the bellhousing...

Close up of the dowel pins. We ended up beating on the pins through a hole you can access from the block side of the motor, and that broke them free.

Balancer damage. I imagine that would eat a belt in no time.

Old clutch. The entire assembly looked like hell, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original. Still held great, though.

I was lucky to have my Dad around this weekend, and he helped me maneuver all this stuff around. Tomorrow, it will be back to the engine bay for wire mod, cleaning and detailing, before finally getting back to the motor to clean, paint, assemble, and reinstall.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by earmuffs
any pics of the new stuff?
As requested...

Monster Level 3...

New head gaskets and ARP head bolts...

EPS cam, ground to Patrick G custom specs. This cam was spec'd specifically to avoid flycutting.

Trick Flow 7.425 pushrods, per Patrick G custom specs.

PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 heads. These are a 799 casting, and were bought slightly used off of a forum member...only 1500 miles, with PRC springs good to .650 lift.

Tick speed bleeder for the clutch. From what I read, it's worth the $60.

One last pic of my accessory brackets, freshly painted...

Still waiting for my new style LS6 valley cover to come in.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only person who paints their accessory drive and valve covers to keep it looking clean vs the nasty oxidized aluminum look they get after a while. Looks like your build is coming along nicely!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Very nice build!!!! I am looking to do something like this down the road also.

The intake is sharp! Love the look of that color on there. Very good choice.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Launching!

very nice .. keep us updated !
Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sweet build man! Couple questions, I noticed you said earlier your traded the Procharger for a built LQ4, what are the specs of this engine? Stock pistons and rods?

Also, are you ever planning on Procharging it again down the road? If so, one thing you might want to do now is drill and tap a hole into the block for the alternator bracket since every LQ4/LQ9 block Procharger user ends up having to do it eventually. Makes sense that it would be easier to do with the engine OUTSIDE of the car

This thread is awesome! Loving all the pics and the info
Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Sweet build man! Couple questions, I noticed you said earlier your traded the Procharger for a built LQ4, what are the specs of this engine? Stock pistons and rods?

Also, are you ever planning on Procharging it again down the road? If so, one thing you might want to do now is drill and tap a hole into the block for the alternator bracket since every LQ4/LQ9 block Procharger user ends up having to do it eventually. Makes sense that it would be easier to do with the engine OUTSIDE of the car

This thread is awesome! Loving all the pics and the info
I traded the blower kit for this motor plus cash. Originally, this motor also had some 241 heads on it and a Professional Products intake and throttle body...all of which was pulled off and sold. I knew I wanted to do heads and custom cam, so I used the extra cash to help fund that, along with the clutch and spare parts. The short block is mostly stock, but with a ported oil pump and upgraded timing chain as mentioned earlier. The Torquer V2 that is currently residing in the short block will be pulled and also sold.

I doubt if I'll go back to a Procharger setup with this car, but I wouldn't say never. If I do, it'll be a long ways down the road. After I finish this build up, I'm going to focus on the suspension, and also new rims and tires...I'm thinking Torque Thrust Ms in anthracite would match the intake and bracket colors well. Then there's always the inevitable 9"...

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah I see, cool deal man! Those TTMs would be awesome, no doubt.

Btw, how much power were you making with the Procharger? D1SC? How long did you have it and how did your rear mind the M6 with that much power? Ever get any gear whine?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I probably didn't have the kit on for 100 miles before I had trouble, so no idea how much power it was making as I never had it dyno'd. I was living in Alaska at the time, so tuners were not readily available. I had Steve Williams at Frost help me tune it remotely via HP Tuners, and it drove great until I made more boost than expected after a tensioner swap.

The M6 held up great while I had it, and the stock rear had no issues, but I never raced it at all and had street tires on it the whole time.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP did you figure out what the "brass contraption" is? my 5.3 has the same device/sensor and I have no idea what it is.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Revoroller
OP did you figure out what the "brass contraption" is? my 5.3 has the same device/sensor and I have no idea what it is.
I've been searching for half an hour and I still have no idea what it is...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -Q-
I've been searching for half an hour and I still have no idea what it is...
I believe it is the engine block coolant heater. If the block does not have this it will have a plug in its place. I found it in the service manual. http://www.pleasurecraft.com/manuals/L510016.pdf
Old 03-03-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

What did you paint your brackets with?

Quick Reply: My LQ4 engine swap / build thread...witness the debacle