Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt LS1 is overheating. Blown headgasket or cooling??? Need some good advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt LS1 is overheating. Blown headgasket or cooling??? Need some good advice.

I have a 2001 WS6 with a rebuilt LS1. I bought the car with a freshly rebuilt motor from the dealership. I have put 1,900 miles on the car since it was rebuilt and maybe about 200 miles ago I realized that the temperature needle was no longer exactly at the middle mark and it wouldnt go anything past it. It would always be exactly on it but now it was a few hair lengths past it. Then one day I drove the car for about 20 miles and at an idle the needle started to rise a bit but fortunately the light turned green and it immediately went back down as I drove the car. This happened about two more times but one day it climbed rapidly while I was waiting for some food on drive thru at a restaurant. I immediately shut it off and it started to steam out of the hose with the cap that reads coolant on it. I let it cool off and was able to drive it home it stayed a few hair lengths past the 210 mark but nothing more. I was told it could be my water pump, my thermostat, my head gasket. I've also noticed my oil pressure always drops at the same time the temperature starts to go up.

So I took off my thermostat and drove it a good 10 miles nonstop and let it idle to see if it would continue to heat it up and it would but this time it started to choke back roughly and pull you back and it did it 2 or 3 times before i made it home to let it idle. I recall this happening twice but just one jerk at a time not every other throttle i would give it. The car doesnt smoke. I let it cool back down to about 160 and let it idle again this time adding water and as the temperature rose some whitish liquid rose to the top slowly so i put the cap back on and it idled once again a little over the 210 mark. My worst fear would be cracked cylinder heads or a blown headgasket. This is my first LS1. I had a Honda Prelude before.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing to check, are your fans kicking on?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Yup take flashlight with the car ruinning and heated look into the fans and if you can see a fan blade it aint turnin,dont stick your hand anywhere near the acc. Next be sure you have all the air out of the system you need to make sure the water neck on the car is the highest part, may need to jack the front of the car up to do it. also,,running without a thermostat can cause overheating very quickly, basically the water is flowing thru the system so fast it doesnt have a chance to be cooled by the radiator.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the dealership somehow didn't connect the steam vent lines on the top front of the heads. Check what is noted listed above & have a look to see that there is a small line running from the inner top front of the each head to a high point in the radiator plumbing. Post your location (City). Maybe someone here can have a look @ it for you.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Teching In

I just noticed that the fans arent kicking on. I also noticed that the A/C motor doesnt have a belt on it and isnt working. Would that have anything to do with them not kicking on? I checked the fuses for the fans and they r all okay. What would be the cause for the choking? It feels really bad when it chokes back. I am located in NorthWest Arkansas. Rogers, AR to be exact. I would love to just take it to a mechanic but i dont have one I can trust to not take the car out for a spin or overcharge me and tell me its something much worse because Ive had that problem many times with my Prelude.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset_Orange_WS6
I just noticed that the fans arent kicking on. I also noticed that the A/C motor doesnt have a belt on it and isnt working. Would that have anything to do with them not kicking on? I checked the fuses for the fans and they r all okay. What would be the cause for the choking? It feels really bad when it chokes back. I am located in NorthWest Arkansas. Rogers, AR to be exact. I would love to just take it to a mechanic but i dont have one I can trust to not take the car out for a spin or overcharge me and tell me its something much worse because Ive had that problem many times with my Prelude.
Check the fan relays or add a relay & a switch & turn 'em on manually. Post in the Arkansas section below asking for local help. Arkansas is in the South section probably.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Alright, Ill be doing that when I get off work tonight. What do you think could be the cause of the choking?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

A cooling system pressure checker is pretty cheap and will tell you right away if you have a bad head gasket.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Z28ZO6
A cooling system pressure checker is pretty cheap and will tell you right away if you have a bad head gasket.

Uh huh.... 10-15 minutes....
Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Teching In

How do those work?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test your coolant...... Sounds like you have more water than coolant, and the water is building steam up creating airlock. Drain coolant an replace with 50/50 mix. I almost guarentee thats your problem.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

How do those work?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...0581607536999#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTaqb-x62RY
Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Angry

Where do i get one of those again?

So i havent had much time to work on the car with my two jobs but I did get the fans to work. i took it to a mechanic. but I drove it today for about 30 mins to see if it was because we had been getting 68 degree weather and today it was 40 degrees. It still heats up a bit to about 220 and goes back down to around 215 with the fans but when I turn it off there is a coolant puddle underneath the area of the "engine coolant only" entrance. The place its coming from is not entirely visible but its somewhere around there. I got a new radiator cap and it was tested and it tested fine. Im mainly worried about it being my heads/head gasket. Ill sleep better knowing it isnt. What would it be doing if it were my heads? I was told it would heat up regardless of the weather or regardless of the car idling or moving because it only warms up at idle. never when driving. more help please!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Teching In

also, i was told it could be my radiator and that i would need a 2 roll or 3 roll. Does that really matter? i also havent been able to change my thermostat because when i took it to get the fans worked on they said if it were my thermostat that it would leak coolant from there, is this true?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

also, i was told it could be my radiator and that i would need a 2 roll or 3 roll. Does that really matter? i also havent been able to change my thermostat because when i took it to get the fans worked on they said if it were my thermostat that it would leak coolant from there, is this true?

Not usually. When a t-stat goes bad they just stick open or closed....

Quick Reply: Rebuilt LS1 is overheating. Blown headgasket or cooling??? Need some good advice.