Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

melling oil pump low pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default melling oil pump low pressure

just got the 383 build together and fired up but im a little worried on the oil pressure. I am using 10-30 "not synthetic". due to complete change in setup it will not really idle consitantly under 1500-2000 rpm. Oversized injectors are making it run rich. Being a new motor and no tune we never really went over 3K so hard to tell how much oil pressure it will build when it raps up, but even cold start at 1500 it's only building about 40 PSI with a melling oil pump "red high pressure spring". Is this normal, or is something wrong? Melling is a good product i won't say it isn't, but could it be a faulty pump? It will be pulled apart to check the O-ring but most likely it is installed correct. what do you guys think about the situation? Has anyone had to send back a melling?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:32 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by little_chewy_69
just got the 383 build together and fired up but im a little worried on the oil pressure. I am using 10-30 "not synthetic". due to complete change in setup it will not really idle consitantly under 1500-2000 rpm. Oversized injectors are making it run rich. Being a new motor and no tune we never really went over 3K so hard to tell how much oil pressure it will build when it raps up, but even cold start at 1500 it's only building about 40 PSI with a melling oil pump "red high pressure spring". Is this normal, or is something wrong? Melling is a good product i won't say it isn't, but could it be a faulty pump? It will be pulled apart to check the O-ring but most likely it is installed correct. what do you guys think about the situation? Has anyone had to send back a melling?
In ALL of my builds, I use the Melling #10296 pump and install the blue spring in it, and achieve 35-40psi @idle(HOT w/5w30) and 65+ @WOT. I have had only 1 case of a bad Melling oil pump, and that was on a 427 I helped do for a guy. You will need to have it tuned asap for a new engine build and for break in procedure. Fuel in the oil is not good and can cause lower than normal pressures. You should have nstalled a new black/blue o-ring on the oil pickup tube and used the blue relief spring as well imo.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 10296 in my stroker, and on cold start its around 60-70 psi and round 40-45 when warm, and I used the lighter spring. I would suspect an Oring issue.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Teching In

i would not drive this if you have put bigger injectors without a tune. get it tuned asap! might be expensive, but so worth it.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

yes it is going to be trailered to the dyno 3 hours away....but i think that the oil pressure issue should be dealt with first. i will not be drving it anywhere till it has been tuned. i don't think it's logical to haul it to get it tuned then haul it back to trouble shoot oil pressure then drive it back again to the dyno. what about a mail order tune. do you have to pay for the license?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know somebody near you who has a tuner, they can pretty quickly change the fuel settings for you. So at least you can get that taken care of and drive it for a while without washing the cylinders.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is a month old lol he either washed the cylinders down and blew it up or got it tuned and fixed.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

lol well actually neither yet sorry guys been pretty busy with life and stuff haven't had time to mess with it lately
Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Default well one year later

Well guys my car has officially been apart for one entire year...to think it would take three months....hahaha. But problem has finally been solved not sure exactly what its called but the 6 dollar bar-bell piece of plastic that routes the oil through the filter base was power washed out after knotching the block for clearance. So was surprised to see the psi that it had without it. There has always been a dark cloud that follows me around and now it has receded for the time being. Car has great oil pressure now 75-80 on start-up. Has anybody ran into this freak accident before or am I the first one to have to buy one?

Quick Reply: melling oil pump low pressure