Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 u guys who installed 59cc heads and big intakes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 u guys who installed 59cc heads and big intakes.

Hello to all, I'm new to the LS1 family and love it! Just bought a 2000 WS6 and it needs some more pep. Items I already purchased are PP 59cc heads, yella terra rollers, new hyd. lifters, ford svo red top injectors, professional products 96mm intake, not sure on the TB yet. Maybe you guys can give some ideas. Gonna go 4:10 on gears, has SLP headers with ORY with 2 chamber flow in back, 6 speed tranny. Would like to get some input some guys who installed 59cc heads on there LS1. Also what kinda cam they installed with out having to fly cut pistons and how you like the performance.

Or if someone knows the biggest and best cam for this set-up, I'm all ears. I know, I know; always measure and I will. But it's better to get someones opinion who's been down this road and knows what to avoid to save me some trouble. I have been reading; no joke for a month. Man there's just so much to take in and learn.

On the heads! Since they were; I assume, milled to get the 59cc will I have to get a shorter push rod to adjust the difference in height lost from the rocker arm boss to the lifter? If I'm right in my thinking if you take height off the head it would make the rocker arm tip closer to the lifter. Just a thought and question.

On the throttle body I think bigger isn't always better. I guess it's possible to get to much volume to interrupt smooth flow threw the intake and head runners.. Just looking for some input to get this Bird to flying. Thanks for everyones input and help................................

Last edited by Chicken Coupe; 03-17-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Somebody has surely installed 59cc heads on there sled.......
Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chicken Coupe
On the throttle body I think bigger isn't always better. I guess it's possible to get to much volume to interrupt smooth flow threw the intake and head runners..
This statement is completely inaccurate. Give this a good read and educate yourself.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ow-theory.html
Old 03-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Man, I've been a technician for 22 years and never ceases to amaze me of what I don't realize. Of course, some of the other repair technicians can account to this. It's a whole different animal when it comes to making one go faster than a customer pulling up and saying my car is doing this a this anda that. Now give me some driveability issues with some stock stuff from the factory and I'm on very familiar territory. I am coming back to school again. I just thought I had read somewhere about over doing the cylinder heads. But this clears it up. Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Call/email a vendor or Tony Mamo or Pat G and have them spec a cam for you wants and car's purpose....that's my advice for you.

Last edited by turbo; 03-19-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor, and do the following:

-Sell the PP heads. They're junk
-Sell the rockers. You do not need them and they're totally unnecessary on GM castings. Stock rockers work just fine.
-Buy a set of 706 (5.3L heads) or 243 (LS6 heads) and send them to Advanced Induction. For around the same price you pay for Patriots, A.I. will port a set of heads that will out perform them (and almost every other head on the market) for less than $1500 total spent.
-This site (as with most other car sites) is chocked full of people spouting off false information on a daily basis. Do not believe the hype, and only take advice from guys that have a reputation for knowing what they're talking about. Every day we get a new 16yr old kid in here preaching his "knowledge".

Oh and one more thing. Most "internet cams" as I like to call them with stupid pet names usually don't work. They're a generic grind sold to the masses. Have a camshaft spec'd to your set up.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Damian
Do yourself a favor, and do the following:

-Sell the PP heads. They're junk
-Sell the rockers. You do not need them and they're totally unnecessary on GM castings. Stock rockers work just fine.
-Buy a set of 706 (5.3L heads) or 243 (LS6 heads) and send them to Advanced Induction. For around the same price you pay for Patriots, A.I. will port a set of heads that will out perform them (and almost every other head on the market) for less than $1500 total spent.
-This site (as with most other car sites) is chocked full of people spouting off false information on a daily basis. Do not believe the hype, and only take advice from guys that have a reputation for knowing what they're talking about. Every day we get a new 16yr old kid in here preaching his "knowledge".

Oh and one more thing. Most "internet cams" as I like to call them with stupid pet names usually don't work. They're a generic grind sold to the masses. Have a camshaft spec'd to your set up.
So what your telling me is to sell a set of cnc ported 243 heads and buy another set of 243 heads and have them cnc ported????????? Don't see the logic in that. Is it really worth a couple of horse power to do that?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I would like this clarified.......PP means Patriot Performance or Port/Polish. That could change Damian's response. He didn't actually say Patriot so........
Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Launching!

No he said Patriot.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what do your heads flow?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:19 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by Chicken Coupe
So what your telling me is to sell a set of cnc ported 243 heads and buy another set of 243 heads and have them cnc ported????????? Don't see the logic in that. Is it really worth a couple of horse power to do that?
A couple? Let me make it simple for you.

Patriot heads - 20-25rwhp
A.I. CNC'd heads - 40-50rwhp

Yes. There is a difference. CNC programs aren't created equal, and neither are the valve jobs. If you're a mechanic then hopefully you understand the basic concept behind building a combination of parts that work well together, and not just throwing parts together that you read about on the internet.

Just saying. But enjoy your PP heads, I hope they work well for you.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
LSX Mechanic

PS- I'm not breaking your ***** in any way. Just trying to save you from wasting a whole bunch of money on parts that don't deliver the results that 1 individual shop has hyped up over the internet.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OMG, my head hurts now. To the OP (original poster). Do a search related to what your looking for both in this area & the dyno area. You'll find the combo that best suits your needs & searching in the dyno area will confirm its' performance. Spend a couple of days reading, then ask any what questions that remain. This will allow you to eliminate fluff discussion time & to get right down to the important related issues.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

: :
Originally Posted by Damian
A couple? Let me make it simple for you.

Patriot heads - 20-25rwhp
A.I. CNC'd heads - 40-50rwhp

Yes. There is a difference. CNC programs aren't created equal, and neither are the valve jobs. If you're a mechanic then hopefully you understand the basic concept behind building a combination of parts that work well together, and not just throwing parts together that you read about on the internet.

Just saying. But enjoy your PP heads, I hope they work well for you.
That's why I'm here and not just taking any ol that I read. If that was the case I would like most people just throw a cam in there and some bolt ons and be done with it. But I want it right for what budget I have. You know best bang for the buck. And I appreciate your honesty and being straight forward. You can tell when somebody's blowing smoke up your tail or not. I'll take what you have given me and research it and not just go with that either. At the end of the day when I have everything gatherd and collected I will build it. You never know I might just sell these and do what you said. And while I'm enjoying this motor I'll be building hopefully a 408 in the corner. Right now just looking to tear the a$$ out of a couple of Mustakes in the area. I'm not wanting to drag this car; just a daily driver that can handle it's business if need be. Now being able to get top of the line stuff is out of the question. If I had that kind of dough I would just take the car to Tick and get it done right. Again Damian thanks for your input.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everybody knows heads make the power so I would get a set of TFS 220's and upgrade to the PM guides and .090-.100 shims and run stock rockers..

Sell the PP's and you got alot of your $$$ back... I prolly would have done that when I got mine if that was an option but I have bronze guides with YT rockers on my motor.....
Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally use the PRC 5.3L stage II heads. They have a 59cc chamber but not due to milling. I have a TSP 228r and Fast 102/102 combo. All in all it makes pretty good power (420/380w) for a light car (2900lbs) however just just seems like it should get more and drive a little better. I am using scorpion rollers and they really aren't needed. The stock rockers with trunion upgrades are the way to go. I'm pretty sure that valve float was hurting my top end. Scorpion being heavy over the nose.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exidous
I personally use the PRC 5.3L stage II heads. They have a 59cc chamber but not due to milling. I have a TSP 228r and Fast 102/102 combo. All in all it makes pretty good power (420/380w) for a light car (2900lbs) however just just seems like it should get more and drive a little better. I am using scorpion rollers and they really aren't needed. The stock rockers with trunion upgrades are the way to go. I'm pretty sure that valve float was hurting my top end. Scorpion being heavy over the nose.
i thought the PRC 5.3l stage 2.5 heads were like 61cc, and 59cc requires milling...

Quick Reply: 4 u guys who installed 59cc heads and big intakes.