Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads & Cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Heads & Cam questions

After doing a ton of reading I'm leaning toward the PRC 2.5 LS6 heads/cam package and possibly having them milled to up the compression. These heads are hard to beat for the money. My budget is ~ $3000 with EVERYTHING (plugs, wires, oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, pulley..etc) including tune...I'll be doing the install myself.

I'm just not really sure about what to mill them to and if I really should, just not educated enough on the subject. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd also like some cam suggestions. I have an M6 that is not a DD, I probably only put 700mi on it a year. I just cruise to cars shows and some joyrides but that's about it. It's a full bolt-on full suspension with 341hp and 355tq on Mustang dyno. I'd like a good 430rwhp but don't plan on doing a Fast intake, my TB is ported and I'll add a UD crank pulley. I didn't really want to change my gears either. Possibly down the road if I do a 12 bolt but not now. I don't mind going to a decent size cam but I also don't wanna be changing springs or stalling at stop lights. If anything I'd prefer something with more mid-range to upper end power.

I've heard good things about the MS3 but that may be too big for me. Maybe the Torquer V2?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another option is to look for used AFR or Trick Flow heads in the classified section. You should be able to find some for $1,500.00 or so. As far as what to mill the heads to, that all depends on what cam you decide to run. I would suggest you contact one of the vendors and have them custom spec you a cam to meet your needs and go with whatever heads you decide on. You can't go wrong with a custom cam, but be prepared to answer a lot of questions in regards to your setup and goals. Good luck with everything.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

I thought of that, but I'm not really one to buy **** used. Are aftermarket heads that much better. What kinds of numbers would you see over a cast head? I've seen a lot of budget heads/cam with the numbers I'm looking for. As much as I drive the car an extra $800 - $1000 for just the heads is questionable for me.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the Patriot stage 2 heads and a TSP 233/239 112lsa cam. I love this cam and it seems to be in the middle of the Torquer 2 and MS3 as I was deciding on these 3. I am happy at what I went with. Maybe try this cam.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple soulution is to call Texas Speed. They can tell you exactly what to mill the heads to as well as the best set up for your car. They sell / install / tune everything on their site. I would trust their expertise.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

I was looking at the 233/239 cam too. I'm definately going to call them, just trying to get all the info I can so I'm an informed consumer.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been looking at the same package from Texas Speed, seems like a pretty damn good deal. What intake do you have on your car right now (LS6?).
Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, Ls6 with a ported TB. I've seen good results from the Fast 102 but with the intake, TB and fuel rails it looks like a $1500 upgrade. If I can get about 100 horse from heads/cam I'd be very happy.

Sidieux.....what other mods do you have and what did you dyno at?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
After doing a ton of reading I'm leaning toward the PRC 2.5 LS6 heads/cam package and possibly having them milled to up the compression. These heads are hard to beat for the money. My budget is ~ $3000 with EVERYTHING (plugs, wires, oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, pulley..etc) including tune...I'll be doing the install myself.

I'm just not really sure about what to mill them to and if I really should, just not educated enough on the subject. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd also like some cam suggestions. I have an M6 that is not a DD, I probably only put 700mi on it a year. I just cruise to cars shows and some joyrides but that's about it. It's a full bolt-on full suspension with 341hp and 355tq on Mustang dyno. I'd like a good 430rwhp but don't plan on doing a Fast intake, my TB is ported and I'll add a UD crank pulley. I didn't really want to change my gears either. Possibly down the road if I do a 12 bolt but not now. I don't mind going to a decent size cam but I also don't wanna be changing springs or stalling at stop lights. If anything I'd prefer something with more mid-range to upper end power.

I've heard good things about the MS3 but that may be too big for me. Maybe the Torquer V2?

Thanks for the help!
I run a Torquer V2 112LSA Will work good with a 4.10 gear. If you're set on keeping it geared stock I'd look into a 228/232 cam