Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water in Oil

So I changed the oil in my trans am today, and it had some antifreeze in it. it wasnt real bad, it wasn't milky by any means, but i could see strands of coolant in it. Is this usually a head gasket?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, any signs of coolant in the oil would be head gasket, or a cracked cylinder wall. best bet is head gasket, do a compression test to find out which cylinder it is on.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be rebuild time, budget for a stroker
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Restricted User

Pull your spark plugs and wires and get a pump. Put the pump on the radiator and pump. Water will come out of w/e cylnder the water is leaking into
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute ...hold on here.....

Does your radiator have a oil coiler built into the drivers side of the raiator? If so then you could just have a simple leak from your radiator to the oil cooler. In that case replace the radiator.

I dont know what they are putting in the newer F-bodies...but my Sierra has a oil coiler setup just like what i described above. Ive heard of people having this leak into the oil before because of a break in the radiator itself.

Otherwise typically coolant in the oil is caused by leaking head gasket, cracked head or cracked block. Those are the only causes i know of.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

how likely is it that it would have a cracked cylinder wall? car has 90k
Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by remauto1187
Wait a minute ...hold on here.....

Does your radiator have a oil coiler built into the drivers side of the raiator? If so then you could just have a simple leak from your radiator to the oil cooler. In that case replace the radiator.

I dont know what they are putting in the newer F-bodies...but my Sierra has a oil coiler setup just like what i described above. Ive heard of people having this leak into the oil before because of a break in the radiator itself.

Otherwise typically coolant in the oil is caused by leaking head gasket, cracked head or cracked block. Those are the only causes i know of.
He's got anti freeze in his engine oil, NOT transmission fluid from his radiator.

Cooler on the bottom of radiator is for trans mmmmm. Think you need to do a re-think here.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
He's got anti freeze in his engine oil, NOT transmission fluid from his radiator.

Cooler on the bottom of radiator is for trans mmmmm. Think you need to do a re-think here.
Never had a GM truck huh? My 99 GMC SIERRA has ENGINE OIL COOLER built into the drivers side of the radiator! It's built like that from the factory. My truck has the Z71 package and was ordered with options out the ying-yang. F-bodies have that too?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Never had a GM truck huh? My 99 GMC SIERRA has ENGINE OIL COOLER built into the drivers side of the radiator! It's built like that from the factory. My truck has the Z71 package and was ordered with options out the ying-yang. F-bodies have that too?
Yeah except we don't drive SIERRAs and we don't have ENGINE OIL COOLERs so your argument kinda goes out the window huh? We did have power steering coolers in the upper radiator line but not engine oil coolers of any kind. OP I would vote head gasket.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Banned

Could also be porosity or a crack in the block. Has the engine ever been overheated? You should get a pressure tester and see if you have a head gasket leaking. If you don't its time to drop a few GM leak fix pills into the rad.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Typically if there were a crack in the water passageway to the clyinder or a blown head gasket you will se your engine temp climb fast and peg out since the hot exhaust gases are going into your cooling system and the radiator simpy cannot keep up dispersing that kind of heat.

"Yeah except we don't drive SIERRAs and we don't have ENGINE OIL COOLERs so your argument kinda goes out the window huh? We did have power steering coolers in the upper radiator line but not engine oil coolers of any kind. OP I would vote head gasket."

Hence the reason i wrote "Do F-bodies have that too?".......Why don't you try using those eyes of yours ....to f'n read!
Old 04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, not down here, more Aussy and Jap cars. Only yank car i've had was a 71 Cougar.

Quick Reply: Water in Oil