Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can i use any type of grease on my oil pump O-ring???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can i use any type of grease on my oil pump O-ring???

Well im about to change my oil pump O-ring(tomorrow). The main reason is because i put back the use oem one on after putting a cam in my c5z...yeah i know kinda stupid mistake.Now i got air in my system and i can compress my lifter by hands

So a tip that i ve read a lot is to put some grease on the pickup tube,on the O-rinfg itself and on the inside off the pump housing so the o-ring could slide and sit perfectly without being pinch.

So can i use any type of grease or i need a specific one to prevent any damage of the rubber O-ring.

Right now i know that i got bearing grease wich is green and i got synthetic grease wich is red.

So any input on this info???
Thanks
Eric
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use whatever you have. It just needs a little bit. Even vasoline would work fine.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Use whatever you have. It just needs a little bit. Even vasoline would work fine.
That's what she said !!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

wouldnt motor oil work?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

any lube you got would be fine so long it's in a grease type. just be patient when installing the pump.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

People make way too much out of this. Issues occur when people are stupid and try to force the tube into the already bolted down pump.

Take the pump bolts out and "rotate" the pick up tube and pump together. You will see what I mean when you try it.

This is an easy, no brainer install. I use some motor oil on the o-ring.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
.....Take the pump bolts out and "rotate" the pick up tube and pump together. You will see what I mean when you try it...
I used assembly lube and it worked great but bearing grease would work too. See this post
Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
People make way too much out of this. Issues occur when people are stupid and try to force the tube into the already bolted down pump.

Take the pump bolts out and "rotate" the pick up tube and pump together. You will see what I mean when you try it.

This is an easy, no brainer install. I use some motor oil on the o-ring.
This is the best way to do it. I used Redline Assembly Lube which dissolves instantly in oil. Also, you can use the old o-ring to practice and figure out what is meant by rotate the pump onto the tube. Once you are confident you know how to do it, swap in the new one, lube it up and install the tube/pump.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The o-ring has never been the issue for me, it's always that damn bolt. Why couldn't they of just thread the other side of the pickup tube on the oil pump. That would make it alot easier! I usually use grease on the bolt too. It can help a little from dropping although I have still dropped it with grease on it.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
The o-ring has never been the issue for me, it's always that damn bolt. Why couldn't they of just thread the other side of the pickup tube on the oil pump. That would make it alot easier! I usually use grease on the bolt too. It can help a little from dropping although I have still dropped it with grease on it.

I use a magnetic pick up tool when starting the bolt to be safe.
I always stuff a rag or two in the pan as well, to help catch the bolt if it falls.

Quick Reply: Can i use any type of grease on my oil pump O-ring???