Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove metal shavings from engine (cam, crank area)???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove metal shavings from engine (cam, crank area)???

Due to a grinding mishap I posted about earlier today I have a good amount of metal shavings in my engine. So what is the best way to deal with this? I looked at some stuff to remove oil gunk but that still means i have to crank it up and let it run with lots of metal in there.. please help...
Old 02-27-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2ksilverhawk
Due to a grinding mishap I posted about earlier today I have a good amount of metal shavings in my engine. So what is the best way to deal with this? I looked at some stuff to remove oil gunk but that still means i have to crank it up and let it run with lots of metal in there.. please help...

really is no way to remove all of it... u can drain the oil get some of it out but will still be stuff in there until u turn it over and circulate the oil... u can get a device that primes the oiling system... dont remember the exact part number... but u wotn get everything out of it until the oil washes over parts... it needs to get trapped in your filter
Old 02-27-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

This is going to sound crazy i know but I DO know that it works and is effective at removing undesirable debris from an engine, so here goes, take the closest garden hose to the oil fill and flush away the shavings with water I know it sounds like a bad idea, but it will not hurt the engine and let me give a brief explanation, as a lot of people know on a cold start a lot of condensation(water) is formed which burns off as temps rise. This solution will work in the same way. I work in a automotive environment that have seen cars that have gone 15000 + miles between oil changes, you drop the oil plug and nothing come out!!! because the oil has turned to tar along with pulling valve covers and the pan to clean the buildup you have to do something to clean the oil passage ways, here comes the hose If your completly **** like a lot of us are you could pour engine flush, mineral spitits, etc. through the fill to "flush out the left over water" but in any case the water will not "hurt"since it is a normal by-product of combustion, believe it or not we haved saved serveral motors that have seen neglected oil change intervals. some of them + 20000 miles at this point(after the dealer) told them that engine replacement was the ONLY answer. I know some of this is out of the box thinking but I have testmonials that it works. Since you dont have the EXTENDED oil change problem the other steps might work for you. At any rate good luck.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Now that is a post I dont read everyday Wow
Old 02-27-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Holy crap. That is a great idea. Wish I had thought of it. I recently had this problem myself when I cut the boss for the LS6 valley cover install. I thought I had it well sealed but I cut through the plastic just enough to let debris down in the block. I simply went and got a case of cheap dino oil and transmission fluid and basically flushed the block. Not expensive but seemed pretty wasteful. Thanks for a great post for a situation that comes up alot.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Teching In

whoa, let me get this straight.. I get the garden hose and just go to town? Should i leave the oil in there when starting the spray or drain it and then spray? I was doing the ls6 pcv mod as bluebyu said and the grinder actually caught the sheet i was covering it with and sucked it up of course and in turn dumping a lot of shavings down the holes near the front and rear of the valley. I am cautios of cranking the engine AT ALL b/c i have a feeling a lot of shavings got in there so the hose i guess is my only shot. I also cut throught the block in one point that that was not the main shavings concern, just a little jb weld job. It was just one of those days that nothing went right. Thanks so much for the info everyone. I was dreading i was going to have to pull the block or something.

Also, is there anything i can use to spray oil into it after i'm done with washing it out? I have an air comprsser but I've never heard of a oil spraying fitting .. anything else i should do before spraying?

Last edited by y2ksilverhawk; 02-28-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:34 PM

Default please help!!

So this isnt about a car more along the lines of a motorcycle. would this method work in the same case?
Old 04-13-2023, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 596 Likes on 411 Posts

Shavings are shavings. Metal is metal. The shape it's pushed into, along with the # of wheels, is largely irrelevant.

This is a forum for LSx GM engines. 97-up V8 of a certain design. Not motorcycles. This isn't a general "tech Q&A" or that sort of thing.

That said, if the shavings are on aluminum, try a magnet.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (04-13-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

If I was desperate enough to fill the engine with water, I'd flush the engine with oil afterward and let it drain for a day or so.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
If I was desperate enough to fill the engine with water, I'd flush the engine with oil afterward and let it drain for a day or so.
You might want to check how old this thread is.....
Old 04-15-2023, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

I missed that but so did a couple other people.

Quick Reply: How to remove metal shavings from engine (cam, crank area)???