Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Woes...Normalish, now low?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form
So you think the oil filter went into bypass and did this damage? BS! It wooood need to be BLOCKED with dirt before that could happen.
Did I say that ? No.
Old 07-28-2011 | 06:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by O2Form
I'm not gonna point fingers but that looks like bearing damage from not properly cleaning the block and crank during a rebuild. THERE is noway dirt from the oil pan can get past the oil filter SO after a rebuild you pull a few bearing and you see something like this its a safe bet the block and crank were not cleaned well enough. How bad does the crank look? I personally wooooood pull everything down and and clean everything with a pressure washer then start checking clearances and find a someone who knows how to set the crank bearing clearances properly. Good luck finding someone thats not a bser!
Everything that was put in this engine was cleaned exceptionally well with a 3k psi pressure washer with a 0* tip. I've personally seen it strip factory paint off a vehicle.

The main reason I say that I think it was the machinist that caused the problem was because he had the damn thing for 3 weeks before getting it ground, two of those it was the only thing holding me up from building the motor. I called him every day of the final week before he got it done. So he probably rushed it and got a journal slightly wrong and caused this problem. He is the only one in a 20 mile radius of here that could turn cranks, but now I'm either going to go back with a factory crank or have it reground at a more reputable company.

Motor hasn't still been removed completely, so once that is done it's possible that I'll find a cam bearing that moved slightly. It just doesn't make sense that dirt caused this because the engine from the first crank never had the pressure that a Melling high pressure pump makes. Another thing that doesn't hold up to the dirt theory is that one would think the #1 main and the #6 and #8 rod caps I pulled would have entailed the same damage as this one had it been something that was floating around the oil galleys...
Old 07-28-2011 | 10:02 AM
Banned

Nope yer just not thinking this through....... good luck

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Woes...Normalish, now low?