Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got back from the machine shop and they do need resurfacing. the one head is that had the blown gasket is pretty badly warped, i think the guy said it was by 15 thousanths, (0.0015?) the minimum you can take off is 22 thousanths so i guess hes gonna do 17 and it'll be ok? the other head is only about 0.004-0.005 uneven. he also checked the valves and all are good, so thats good to hear. they're going to clean everything up, resurface them and i will pick them up tomorrow.

i have a few questions, i didnt want to ask the guy at the shop because he new his stuff about heads but not particularly ls1's, he kept swearing up and down that they were 5.3 heads, until i showed him the 5.7 stamp on them. i told him they are very similiar and i dont even know the difference really i just know that the 5.3's lower the compression when put on our cars so they must be different in some way.

anyways........ crain you said try not to go more than .005, well they're going three times over that, so unfortunately, im gonna have to measure for pushrods, arent I? i have read how to do it before and i remember it didnt sound fun......but if i have to i have to......

also, shouldnt they do the samething to both heads, or do they only take off what they need to? i mean, shouldnt they take off 0.0017 from both instead of 0.0017 on one and 0.007 on another?

and my last question is how will this effect the motor? haveing to take so much off the head or heads.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure he takes the same surface depth off both heads. You'll pick up some compression which is generally good for efficiency, just watch your knock retard and be prepared to either tune the spark table down or use higher octane fuel.

You'll need to measure for pushrods but that's only a $20 tool so no biggie. Just follow the procedure posted here and you'll be fine.

I'd recommend a new set of LS7 lifters while you're in this far, soak in 5W-30 oil overnight and use new LS2 lifter trays for the install.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Launching!

i was just thinking about the lifters, since you mention it i think thats a sign for me to change them.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Launching!

i was just reading through some threads about heads and porting the 806 heads.......( i was curious about it)......... i read in a post that you CAN NOT use MLS gaskets with 806 cylinder heads, is this true? the person who posted it said they swapped there 806's for 241's so they could use MLS gaskets.......
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There are 2 diff gaskets...I think the early one is from 97-2000 and has a
small notch on the lower (exhaust) side to seal the cast relief that the early
heads have. I thought your heads should be 853 casting, perhaps those are
5.3 heads which have a smaller chamber and increased your compression.
Combined with a small cam. who knows what tune, and maybe lower octane
gas (89 or 91) instead of 93 could have all contributed to detonation......
gasket fail and head warp.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Launching!

there is a little notch that sticks out on the outer edge of the rim of the gasket, the side with the cylinder port holes not the side with the intake runner rectangles...... hopefully this is the notch you're talking about.......the 97-98 ls1's had 806 cast heads from what i have read. i think the guy was driving it around untuned, as soon as i get it running im going to take it to a tune shop and we'll find out.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

That is the notch which will not work w/mls gaskets. So you have perimeter
bolt valvecovers ? mine are 03 241s.....still tyring to learn all the casting #s.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Launching!

yea the valve covers are perimeter bolt.......so the gaskets with the notch will or wont work?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

The gasket w/notch should be the ONLY one that will work for you. Your head has the corresponding casting divet as well, correct ??
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Launching!

yea the heads have that little divet, i dont have the heads with me there still at the shop but i remember the divet because when i first saw it on one head i thought that it was a piece of metal that was missing, until i saw it on the other and realized it was normal.......i will take a picture of the heads and gaskets so you can see them......... later today when i pick up the heads.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That kit I mentioned comes with MLS gaskets which may not work w/ your heads. Double-check which heads you have and order accordingly so you don't end up with a leak.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Launching!

well i know the heads are the 806's, here is a picture of the gaskets. what do you guys think? crain, i really wanted to use these gaskets, they look so much more heavy duty than the one i removed from the motor. when i opend the box and saw them i was thinking man.......im glad he gave me that part number, these are the s**t! but if they arent going to work they arent going to work.

thanks for the help and advice everyone. i really appreciate it!

oh on scroggin dickeys site they have ls7 lifters for like 120$ thats awesome! i love that site, great prices! the ls2 lifter trays are like 9$ ea. im ordering both tonight, no call today from the shop about the heads so im going to call tomorrow and see if they are ready. im not in too much of a hurry to get them back, i wont be putting them on for another 2 weeks or more.........
Attached Thumbnails Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)-headgaskets-001.jpg   Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)-headgaskets-002.jpg  

Last edited by ggino85; 07-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

those are the MLS and will leak w/806, unless the shop has yet to cut them
and they are fairly competant they could just aluminum weld the divet,
then proceed to wack'em .017 or whatever you said the needed.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Launching!

im sure they already cut them, i'll call and ask tomorrow a.m. though.....thank you for mentioning this! it would have really sucked to get it back together and find out i used the wrong gaskets.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Launching!

ok so i've been doing a lot of thinking.........trying to figure out where i want to go with this build......i was originally just gonna change the gasket and put her back together. But now that i have it apart and im going to be replacing all these parts, lifters, timing chain, oil pump.......i really dont want to put the stock 806 heads on, since im in cali i really want something that i know will pass smog so i've been considering the ls6 route, there is a guy in my area selling some 243 heads for 600$, they are supposedly the corvette heads with the light weight valves and yellow valve springs......im thinking of getting these and putting these on, since i have the heads off i might as well put on something better, wright? i was wondering how these heads would work with the comp cam i have? its the comp 212/218, do you guys think it will work well with the 243 heads?

the seller has some valve covers that he said he will throw in, so i would need an ls6 intake, the other supporting mods that im going to be purchasing, oil pump, timing chain (ls2), the lifters ect.......... i just was wondering if im leaving anything out? i know i'll need a tune, i was wondering will i be able to drive it to a shop to tune it or would it be better off to tow it there? i just want to try and dot all the I's and cross all the T's before i start spending money.........

thank you,
ggino
Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 243 heads will work well but you can get a cam that would work much better than that one and you'd probably be a lot happier. $600 is a decent price but they can be had for less. I bought mine for $500 with 14k miles on em (04' ZO6 heads with sodium exhaust/hollow intake valves) Not sure how far you really want to go with this build, seems to be snowballing at the moment lol.

Your 98' has perimeter style valve covers correct? So yes you would want those valve covers that the seller said he would throw in if u got the 243s. Some new valve cover gaskets couldn't hurt either.

If you decide to get a new cam plan on better valve springs and hardened pushrods as well.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

The OP is gettin' into the TR224;TSP 228 territory real quick, ha ha
The needle is never full enough.......
Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Launching!

lol yea it is snowballing fast! i've always had the addiction but now its taking over me heres the deal, i have had three other f-bodys before this one and i have always wanted to put an ls6 in one. with the ls1 taken apart i just keep thinking why dont i take a little bit longer to put it back together but put it back together the way i REALLY want it to be. i've always wanted an ls6 that was cali smog legal so i dont have to worry about it, its also going to be my daily driver so i dont want anything to crazy. i think the 243 heads are perfect because they will give me a decent power gain but not be noticeable (smog or underhood inspection i mean).

i dont think i would be able to pass smog with those cams targa. what do you think?

Last edited by ggino85; 07-16-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Launching!

ok so update....... i called the guy with the heads today and he had sold the heads lastnight, he said he was going to have more on monday or tuesday, they are coming from texas?........ it got me thinking, all he was doing was buying heads off ebay and selling them for more money.....so i looked on ebay and stumbled across a pair of 243 heads for 350$ shipped! i've never bought anything off ebay but i couldnt pass that up. with the extra money i saved not buying the heads for 600$ im ordering the ls7 lifters and the lifter trays. thats where i need help....are the ls2/ls7 lifter trays the ones im suppose to buy?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Make sure he takes the same surface depth off both heads. You'll pick up some compression which is generally good for efficiency, just watch your knock retard and be prepared to either tune the spark table down or use higher octane fuel.

You'll need to measure for pushrods but that's only a $20 tool so no biggie. Just follow the procedure posted here and you'll be fine.

I'd recommend a new set of LS7 lifters while you're in this far, soak in 5W-30 oil overnight and use new LS2 lifter trays for the install.
Originally Posted by ggino85
ok so update....... i called the guy with the heads today and he had sold the heads lastnight, he said he was going to have more on monday or tuesday, they are coming from texas?........ it got me thinking, all he was doing was buying heads off ebay and selling them for more money.....so i looked on ebay and stumbled across a pair of 243 heads for 350$ shipped! i've never bought anything off ebay but i couldnt pass that up. with the extra money i saved not buying the heads for 600$ im ordering the ls7 lifters and the lifter trays. thats where i need help....are the ls2/ls7 lifter trays the ones im suppose to buy?
I noticed the post earlier where it said to use LS2 trays so I quoted it and highlighted it in case you missed it. $600 is way too high for those heads anyway.

I got Z06 243's with the newer version cam for $320. So you ended up getting a better deal. The ones you are getting for $350 may not have the light weight valves but it's no big deal.

Quick Reply: Pulled heads, need opinions.........(pics inside)