Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure after cam install ?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low oil pressure after cam install ?????

I did a search on this and didn't see anyone have the same problem as me, so here goes. I Did a cam TR224-114, springs, ti retainers, chrome-moly pushrods, double roller timing chain and new oil pump yesterday. Got it all back together and everything looked good. I had a little less than 40 psi at idle, a little over 40 at cruise and more when accelerating. Today I went for a drive and the oil pressure at idle dropped into the red. I touched the gas a little and it came right back up to 40 or so. I went back home while keeping the engine up above 1k rpms, because that seemed to be a critical point. Just to check, I let the car drop to idle in the garage and the oil pressure went right to zero. I touched the gas and the pressure came right back up to 40. This is really strange. I was real careful with the o-ring, because I had read all the threads about them being pinched or torn. I didn't replace it though (I know, that was dumb) because I forgot to buy one before starting and it looked ok. Famous last words probably. Could it be the oil filter? I didn't replace it because it was almost new.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but I went ahead and did the ls6 high flow and last night I started it up with the new 231/237 cam and it idled immediately at almost 80 psi all the way to warm up.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pick up tube o-ring happens too frequently
Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Launching!

yep..if you dont shove the pick-up o-ring on square it will basically leak out around it under pressure
Old 02-29-2004, 10:06 PM
Launching!

I second the pickup tube o-ring. I have seen too many guys not pay enough attention when installing it and it gets cut.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am willing to put money on the o-ring also. I took two hours to put my pick-up tube back in making sure I got it in perfect! I even used one of the little dentist mirrors to look at the back. If not, its a bad oil pump, or the spacers between the pump and the block are leaking, did you put RTV on these spacers? Sorry to tell ya, your going to have to rip it all apart again.

Old 02-29-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BergerMan
I second the pickup tube o-ring. I have seen too many guys not pay enough attention when installing it and it gets cut.
Well, the o-ring was the last thing I saw as the pickup tube went into the oil pump while I was tightening the bolt. It was flat around the oil pickup tube. I didn't use a torque wrench, but I got it good and tight.

I just don't understand how I could have sixty+ psi when the engine is rev'ed and zero at idle (~700 rpm). That pickup tube was flush all the way around the pump. How could there be zero? I could see where it could be lower if you were sucking air through that metal to metal connection, but not zero. The o-ring looked good to me and was very pliable. There really should be a gasket around the that flange if this is such a problem. Just venting . Anyway, I'm gonna rip it all apart again tomorrow and put in a new o-ring. Any tips on how to keep from pinching the o-ring? Anyone with pictures? Has anyone ever tried applying RTV to the mating surface and is this not good to do?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't use RTV, you may get some into the oil system causing more issues...
Old 02-29-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I am willing to put money on the o-ring also. I took two hours to put my pick-up tube back in making sure I got it in perfect! I even used one of the little dentist mirrors to look at the back. If not, its a bad oil pump, or the spacers between the pump and the block are leaking, did you put RTV on these spacers? Sorry to tell ya, your going to have to rip it all apart again.

Doh! I didn't put sealant on the spacer with the hole in it! Thanks for reminding me. I went back to the timing chain instructions and there it was in black and white. Damn Hell! What an idiot I am! Thanks for all the replies. At least I didn't run it that way an ruin the engine. I'll post the results when I'm finished tomorrow.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Teching In

BTW when u say nice and tight for the bolt what is that?? Because technically its not supposed to be tight at all (around 8-9 ft-lbs) and yea i sealed mine with some rtv as well with no problem.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by enginjoe
Doh! I didn't put sealant on the spacer with the hole in it! Thanks for reminding me. I went back to the timing chain instructions and there it was in black and white. Damn Hell! What an idiot I am! Thanks for all the replies. At least I didn't run it that way an ruin the engine. I'll post the results when I'm finished tomorrow.
Haha! Live and learn. To be honest, I only remember putting RTV between the spacer and the block, and not between the pump and the spacer. But im not having any problems now am I (*knock on wood*). Get the new o-ring and MAKE SURE its in PERFECT. I used a dentist mirror think to make sure mine was in, I took two hours to make sure
Old 03-01-2004, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

I'm having oiling problems too. I am going to put a new o-ring in tomorrow. Can someone please give me instructions for proper o-ring installation. Do I need to install the o-ring on the pickup tube first or put the o-ring in the pump first. Also can I put small amout of black rtv or moly grease on or around the pickup tube where it mates to the oil pump. Second do I need to do anything about sealing the flush mount surface of the oil pump to block. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, why do people even bother to re-use these o-rings, they cost like $1 at most at a dealer. WTF?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by v8maro
Damn, why do people even bother to re-use these o-rings, they cost like $1 at most at a dealer. WTF?
Cause I am dumb...At least I can admit it.

Tore it all apart yesterday. I put RTV on the spacer with the hole on both sides and put in a new o-ring. I also made sure the spacer was correct as far as the up and down position. When I fired it up it had 60+ psi cold at idle and 40+ psi warmed up at idle and close to 75 or so WOT. Looks like we're back in business.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Launching!

I got the LS6 oil pump as well with my cam install..... almost at 80 all the time. Makes me feel very much at ease. Good luck man hope that tearing it apart and putting it back together does the trick for ya!!! Would really suck to do all that work and get the same result when finished.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure after cam install ?????