Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Ticking Noise thread, Please help :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Ticking Noise thread, Please help :)

Ok, so after a spirited drive last weekend, i noticed a ticking noise, very loud one, so i got home and verified oil pressure, 40ish idle and jumps to 60 at the blip of the throttle, so i was dumb founded.

So, i decided last night, i would pull the heads, inspect the lifters, replace, inspect push rods, verify length, etc.

Ok, did all this, my buddy was over who has had lifter trouble, what etc. We opted to change the lifters for a lower mile set out of another engine i have.

after verifying pushrod length we opted to change back to the 7.4 vs the 7.425s

So, got it all buttoned back up, less the turbo and fired her up, couldnt hear **** over the open t4 flange so i decided id just button it back up.

Also, during the tear down, i found the reason why it always took so long to spool, this turbo on this motor shouldve spooled really fast. Well, turns out, if your wastegate inst seated properly, it'll just blow out all your drive pressure. Interesting.

Either way, that was due to the turbo blanket and my poor placement of the wastegate during fabrication, it was too close, the blanket put the gate in a bind and wouldnt allow it to seat.

Anyway, After all this, a whole day, i now feel was wasted, whatever, the ticking persists. No louder, no quieter, etc. Like i said, before, oil pressure is perfect, and doesnt appear to have any silver or copper flakes in the oil.

Here's a quick video making the ticking very audible. This is how loud it is, its noticeable. so, any thoughts? Im at wits end. I hate to pull the motor.

a friend of mine told me to check the torque converter bolts to make sure the converter is in their correctly still. Although, i have no idea how that would make a noise like this.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 08-21-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Damn, sure sounds like a collapsed lifter. WTF. That's bad.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Tell me about it, that was my very first thought, I run about 1/2 quart to much oil at all times, check it religiously. Im friggin lost here.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM
9 Second Club

i wouldnt run it anymore till u get to what it is,exhausht leak possibly but sounds more like a lifter causing that sound.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Def. not an exhaust leak, ive been over every single inch of the exhaust, and re-did all my pre turbo exhaust joints about 20 min prior to that vid with new gaskets, and copper silicone under the turbo and turbo gasket, etc. brand new manifold gaskets, everything is TIGHT. no leaks.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I am having the same issue. I just finished my cam install, which went horribly wrong, and had to take the heads off after 3 (possibly 4) bent valves. My ticking isnt as bad, but it is very noticable, especially in the car. Car has performed well, but the ticking is horrible. I just changed my pushrods from the stock 7.400" to the 7.425" and the noise is still there. I have noticed that the ticking isnt there until the engine warms up and then stays constent. The ticking gets faster with the rev rate and stays consistent with the rev rate at all times. At first we did the pushrods since it sounded like that was the case since the car didnt have the issue until operating temp, but now starting to think it is a collapsed lifter.

Sorry to thread jack, and no I promise I am not a newbie. I have been following for a few years, just was able to answer all my questions from the wonderful search tool. I am more or less in the same boat and need the same results as you. Thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Sorry, there is one huge difference between us.... I am not turboed. I am just a cammed and exhaust guy, for now....
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

That vid was taken on a cold engine as well. The sound never changes from cold to hot. The oil pressure never changes either. Hopefully we can get this figured out.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Teching In

So you get the ticking at all times? Also, from video it sounds like a very aggressive ticking.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Ticking is at all times, and increases with engine speed.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Teching In

ok, so we are in the same boat, escept mine is when the engine warms up; hence the reason for the longer pushrods. I have been reading threads for the past 3 hours and I've heard of everything from spun bearings being the culprite to simple collapsed lifters. Since I am having same issues and am also stuck, I wont recommend anything...lol.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the noise is present on both sides of the engine but more pronounced under the car. Almost like something is banging inside the exhaust system. The only things in motion there are the exhaust valves and your turbo.

Go get a mechanic's stethoscope (Sears, etc.) and probe directly on the engine at various locations to try and find the loudest source. Probe the turbo housing on the exhaust side of the turbine also. And the exhaust manifolds at each head port. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Crain - how can you be sure its a collapsed lifter and not something like a spun bearing or other GIGANTIC problem? My ticking is loud, but not nearly as loud as Kyle's.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Am i wrong to assume that, if the oil pressure is perfect and fast to build, i can rule out spun bearings??
Old 08-13-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by littlecrunch2000
Crain - how can you be sure its a collapsed lifter and not something like a spun bearing or other GIGANTIC problem? My ticking is loud, but not nearly as loud as Kyle's.
I didn't mention lifters in his case.

Collapsed lifters sound like valvetrain lash, which is usually heard w/ a mech stethoscope probing at the valve cover...it's clearly loudest right above the affected rocker. I probe along the top of the coil pack bracket when I'm listening for valvetrain noise.

The nice thing about a decent mechanic's stethoscope is that they seal off your ears, so you can only hear what the probe sends back. Excluding all the ambient noise and echo makes localizing the noise easier. You'll hear noise at many locations, but it will be loudest at the actual source.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAX04
Am i wrong to assume that, if the oil pressure is perfect and fast to build, i can rule out spun bearings??
Not necessarily, but your noise sounds much more on/off like an object striking something than a bearing shriek which oscillates more slowly.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna say converter bolts. Or cracked flex plate. Or flexplate-crank bolts loosened up. Follow the noise.

Put a socket and breaker bar on the front crank pulley bolt and rock the crank back and forth, see if you can hear/feel a clunk.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had that noise (or very very similar to that) and then this happened...

... do as your friend said and check the bolts, its a good hunch...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Aside from the obvious hell of pulling the transmission, i really hope to find something like this.

Thanks for the input all. i do appreciate it, once i check these few things, ill report back.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAX04
Aside from the obvious hell of pulling the transmission, i really hope to find something like this.

Thanks for the input all. i do appreciate it, once i check these few things, ill report back.
When you installed the TC, did you use Loctite on the bolts and what did you torque them to?