Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a great deal on an LQ9 should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Found a great deal on an LQ9 should I do it?

So my plan was to pull the LS1 in my Trans Am at some point soon and build a forged 383, but then I bought an engagment ring and then I decided to build a new house... so thats just not in the cards this fall.

So...I've been keeping a look out for an LQ4 I could throw in my 99 Trans Am and pull out the stock LS1, and instead, I've found a smoking deal in an LQ9 short block!! Should I do it? I wanted to go LQ4 because I wanted to supercharge it down the road. But I have a nice Nitrous kit sitting in the garage that I'd love to use on a high compression engine like the LQ9.

How hard is it to swap engines in these cars? I think I need a new clutch anyways so this swap should make that easier...

I need to be convinced though, because I HATE the idea of adding weight to my car, will my handling and braking performance be affected significantly? Will the added bore and compression make up for the weight down the quartermile? Or will my car end up slower?

I want to be able to swap over all my mods, so that means the 243 heads, the EPS cam, and LS6 intake still need to be a potent combo. Should I do it or should I wait until I can afford to build a 383? My main motivation for getting this engine is so that I can hit it with a crap load of juice, or boost, and not worry if I blow the engine? What kind of power can these engines take?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you'd still have cast pistons not something I'd want to through "a crap load of juice" at
Old 09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fry_
you'd still have cast pistons not something I'd want to through "a crap load of juice" at
There's really no point getting this engine if I can't either hit it with 200shot of juice or supercharge it.
Building up the engine with better rods and pistons is also an option? But how much is that going to cost me?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no motor is going to like a 200 shot on stock rods/pistons. texas speed is always a great place to look for upgraded/forged rotating assemblies... and if you don't want that LQ9, I've been looking for one, pm me info on it if you want.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my opinion the LQ9 is a better way to go because it has more potential in the long run. I wouldn't say it is reliable to hit a stock internal motor like with a 200 shot, but later on down the road you can build a 408 stroker from that and those make great power with the ability to take a large nitrous shot.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
In my opinion the LQ9 is a better way to go because it has more potential in the long run. I wouldn't say it is reliable to hit a stock internal motor like with a 200 shot, but later on down the road you can build a 408 stroker from that and those make great power with the ability to take a large nitrous shot.
It looks like this is where I'm headed with this engine. I'm going to go pick up the short-block ( if it's good ) next weekend.
I've been told the cranks in these are fine for big power, but new rods and pistons are in order as is machine work.

So now that I'm going to build an LQ9, what should I do to the bottom end / block.
The build will have all the mods I already have, including the EPS cam and the LS6 intake, I can get the 243 heads worked over if I want or I can leave them stock.
What do you guys think is the best course of action? What needs to be replaced on the bottom of this engine? Is building this engine in my garage more economical then buying an already built short block?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I would seriously think about saving some cash and getting the stroker crank. It is true that the stock crank can take a lot of power but the stroker setup will help quite a bit on the N/A side of things. I would try and get the heads worked over if you can, it will definitely pick you up power. In my opinion the only way to really save money doing it all yourself is if you get a really good deal on machine work.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion the LQ9 is a better way to go because it has more potential in the long run.
You can do the same thing with an LQ4 for less money. Once you put in a stroker rotating assembly, none of what differentiates an LQ4 from an LQ9 will remain.

That said, I like LQ9s for a few reasons. The obvious is that you get the extra compression due to the flat top pistons, but the other, less obvious is the life that the motor likely led. Most LQ4s came out of work trucks, and got, well, worked. Most LQ9s came out of Caddys, which meant not only a life of going back and forth to the office and the mall, but if it was maintained at the dealer (as many were), it also means a life of routine maintenance including a Mobil 1 bath. One additional benefit to an LQ9 is that even if you do decide to stroke it, the LQ9 rods and pistons are worth a few bucks used, so you can likely recoup some of the increased purchase cost over an LQ4.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LQ9 can take a 150 wet shot without a problem or up to 12 psi (more with meth) without a problem. Either will put down similar numbers with a procharger being the most consistent route IMO. N2O will be cheaper though...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

From reading earlier in the thread he said he could get a really good deal on an LQ9 which is why I used that term. Obviously on average LQ4s are cheaper since there were so many more of them made.

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
You can do the same thing with an LQ4 for less money. Once you put in a stroker rotating assembly, none of what differentiates an LQ4 from an LQ9 will remain.

That said, I like LQ9s for a few reasons. The obvious is that you get the extra compression due to the flat top pistons, but the other, less obvious is the life that the motor likely led. Most LQ4s came out of work trucks, and got, well, worked. Most LQ9s came out of Caddys, which meant not only a life of going back and forth to the office and the mall, but if it was maintained at the dealer (as many were), it also means a life of routine maintenance including a Mobil 1 bath. One additional benefit to an LQ9 is that even if you do decide to stroke it, the LQ9 rods and pistons are worth a few bucks used, so you can likely recoup some of the increased purchase cost over an LQ4.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From reading earlier in the thread he said he could get a really good deal on an LQ9 which is why I used that term. Obviously on average LQ4s are cheaper since there were so many more of them made.
Yeah, it's about half the price I've seen comperable LQ4's going for. But upon further research I think I'm going to keep it stock, except rod bolts.
I'm going to throw on the 243's, the EPS cam, LS6 intake, and just 100 shot of dry.

I honestly thing that's the best bang for the buck option.

Quick Reply: Found a great deal on an LQ9 should I do it?