Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my mechanic overcharging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the thing. Some people may say it's a OK price some say not.one thing to keep in mind shop rates are different all across the country. In the Seattle area the average rate is $100 hour.to me what you paid is not that bad. One thing most people do not understand is jobs are sold based off a labor guide. So say the water pump called for 2.5 hrs,that's $250 right there regardless if it takes the tech 30 minutes. A lot of people think shops charge a lot and its true,but it also costs a lot to run a shop. I am a ase certified automotive technician which dosent mean much but I do know how and why it costs so much.I don't think there $1400 estimate for everything is to terribly high.another thing as well as shops typically mark up parts at 60%,so usually you can't compare the price at what you can get it for vs what they sell it for. Part of what your paying for is a warranty plus shop supplys. One thing I would suggest for the future to save some mod money is check local forums for people who do side work.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were not overcharged but you paid too much if that makes sense. For my alternator change as an example at shops it would be $350 to $400. I paid $120 for it from autozone and changed it with a jack, jackstand, 15mm wrench, and a 13 and 15mm socket. Took no time at all. You need to find a new shop $140 for an oil change is ******* ridiculous. Even if I were to use Royal Purple which is the most expensive out here. The oil and filter would be around $80 if i didnt look around and the labor is $20
Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stangtrader is right on. I manage a shop and make money based on how fast my techs are not how cheap I can do the job for my customer! As a professional shop you have the right to a mark up on parts and use a labor guide everytime you quote a job. Thats how you pay your bills. If you think its to much then do it yourself. Then when your crying maybe you can understand why shops get payed what they do. You owe some people here an apology and shouldnt ask questions if you might not like the answer.

Quick Reply: is my mechanic overcharging?