Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my mechanic overcharging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my mechanic overcharging?

Hey all. I just picked up my bird from the shop today after taking it in wednesday for a simple oil change and freon refill. I got a call from them thursday saying that I had a bad water pump, leaking rear main seal, and leaking steering gearbox. They quoted me $1481 to fix everything and I was shocked. I figured I could live with checking the oil and power steering fluid daily for a week or so, but the water pump was a little more urgent. I got the water pump replaced, a/c recharged, and oil changed and the total bill was $541. That sounds steep for the work done, and I think $1481 was just ridiculous for everything. Is my mechanic a crook or is it all just me?

Also, I am totally capable of doing all of the above work to my car, the problem is that I have no tools and no place to work on my vehicles anymore. I've pulled multiple transmissions before, and I don't think a rear main seal replacement should cost over $700. If anyone has had this work done before, or is a mechanic, any info on pricing would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a shop you are paying all the overhead on it takes to keep one open?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Do you have a shop you are paying all the overhead on it takes to keep one open?
I didn't ask you to come in here and be a jerk.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

yeah that's way too high
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your mechanic a one man shop guy or some sort of repair shop chain?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All shops are different...that was a quote so actual cost could be lower. If you've pulled a trans then you know it's time consuming, and if the shop does it correctly their is a special tool that lines the oil pan and rear cover to prevent premature wear on the seal. That tool is around $800 from the dealer as that's what they quoted me. Labor is prolly around $75hr? AC no matter what can be expensive, If he just filled it yes that rediculous but if he had to take it out and replace seals etc is reasonable possibly a little over priced. If you can do it buy $700 dollars worth of tools and do it on the pavement, they will just benefit you any way you look at it.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 889 Likes on 633 Posts

Depending on the shops hour rate its probably not that bad. Things add up quick. The shop I work at rate is 82.50/hour I don't know how many hours it calls for putting a water pump on an f body, my guess would be 1.5-2 hours. A/C recharge is about .5-.7 hours, throw in an oil change, coolant and the price of the water pump and you are pretty much there.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

ya no need to be a dick dude.....I would really say the bill way high but it wasnt cheap either. A new water pump is around 150 depending on where you go, oil change is 30 bucks, and the a/c recharge can vary depending on what they did. Tack on 50-75 an hr for shop labor and your not too far off seeing as it was robably a 3-4 hr job. it may be a little high but thats the price you sometimes have to pay.. those are all pretty simple jobs next time maybe try to do them yourself. you'll be surprised at how much you can actually ddo just by taking your time lol cars arent withcraft, well sometimes it seems like they are lol
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

How is asking a question being a jerk? If you think you can do it cheaper, do it your self or go to another shop that charges less. Why should anyone here say what another person's time and labor are worth to them? Or open a shop and see what you have to charge to stay in business.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

we dont have a steering gearbox? we have a rack and pinion and those arent cheap... but then again i wouldnt take my car to shop besides for an alignment.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aside from the fact that you said that included replacing the rear main seal...which involves removing the tranny and then reinstalling it. I dont think its as high as it seems.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
How is asking a question being a jerk? If you think you can do it cheaper, do it your self or go to another shop that charges less. Why should anyone here say what another person's time and labor are worth to them? Or open a shop and see what you have to charge to stay in business.
you are being a jerk. someone obviously pissed in your cheerios and you're all butthurt over it or something. If all you know how to do is be an ***, leave the thread. I'm not asking you to post here. I'm actually doing the opposite. Please do not post in my thread anymore so I can get good info from other people. kthxbye.

Anyway. A little back story on the shop. It is owned by a few of the guys that ran the shop at the local pontiac dealership. When the dealership closed, they opened their own shop. That being said, they told me that they only charge $60 an hour labor. That is so contradictory to the price I paid b/c first of all, they should be quick with my car since they worked at the pontiac dealership. Since their labor is almost half the price of other shops that would charge less for the work I had done, does that just mean that the shop I went to took DOUBLE the time to complete the work? Holy crap they must be bad. I know I'm probably more fired up than I should be, but I don't like getting robbed. Like I said above, I have the ability, and would really really like to do the work myself, but I have no tools and no place to work on my car anymore. I had everything I needed when I lived with my parents b/c my grandfather was a mechanic that took all his tools with him when he retired (he even had a set of lifts in his shop), but I live waaaaaay to far away from them to have any access to that stuff =[
Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, price sounds right on.

Rough estimates: $

$150 - $200 for the pump
$200 for labor to do it
$40 for the new coolant to refill the entire system
$50 AC recharge
$7 oil filter
$40 synthetic oil
$20 oil change labor

+ Tax
---------
$541+

*edit*
Originally Posted by jadams01
you are being a jerk. someone obviously pissed in your cheerios and you're all butthurt over it or something. If all you know how to do is be an ***, leave the thread. I'm not asking you to post here. I'm actually doing the opposite. Please do not post in my thread anymore so I can get good info from other people. kthxbye.

Anyway. A little back story on the shop. It is owned by a few of the guys that ran the shop at the local pontiac dealership. When the dealership closed, they opened their own shop. That being said, they told me that they only charge $60 an hour labor. That is so contradictory to the price I paid b/c first of all, they should be quick with my car since they worked at the pontiac dealership. Since their labor is almost half the price of other shops that would charge less for the work I had done, does that just mean that the shop I went to took DOUBLE the time to complete the work? Holy crap they must be bad. I know I'm probably more fired up than I should be, but I don't like getting robbed. Like I said above, I have the ability, and would really really like to do the work myself, but I have no tools and no place to work on my car anymore. I had everything I needed when I lived with my parents b/c my grandfather was a mechanic that took all his tools with him when he retired (he even had a set of lifts in his shop), but I live waaaaaay to far away from them to have any access to that stuff =[
If you're that unhappy, the tools you need would cost less than $500, FWIW.

*edit 2*
He only made about 250 on the entire job, which doesn't go too far after paying your overhead (and employee, where applicable)

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 02-11-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Jersey Mike;15951589]Actually, price sounds right on.

Rough estimates: $

$150 - $200 for the pump
$200 for labor to do it
$40 for the new coolant to refill the entire system
$50 AC recharge
$7 oil filter
$40 synthetic oil
$20 oil change labor

+ Tax
---------
$541+

I have the receipt right here.

The pump was $159
The coolant was $19
The freon was $19
The oil was $22
The filter was $5

And once again, the shop says they only charge $60 per hour labor which is way less than your estimate on labor. come on man, you know that something seems strange with the price I paid. They must be really really slow and charging me for the actual number of hours they take instead of what the service manual says on time estimates (like 99% of shops do). I'm sure a few of you guys work at or own shops, and you have to understand that I'm not bashing mechanics or all shops in general...I'm just trying to figure out why this one specific shop charged me so much when their labor is supposed to be $60 an hour.

And by the way, it wasn't synthetic oil. They quoted me $140 for a synthetic oil change and I said hell no. I'm going to invest in some jack stands and start changing my own oil again.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You're on a public forum and you asked for opinions. Stop expecting everyone in the world to agree with you. You are making it obviously clear you do not wish for honest opinions but rather for us to have sympathy for you. Sorry, this place is more suited to give opinions
Old 02-11-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The price is Fair. I do almost all of my own work because labor charges can eat you up. Having said that my mechanic charges $85 per hour and i am Happy to pay that when needed because I know His work is GOOD, and that is Very Hard to come by these days. Today many "mechanics" are just parts changers.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You're on a public forum and you asked for opinions. Stop expecting everyone in the world to agree with you. You are making it obviously clear you do not wish for honest opinions but rather for us to have sympathy for you. Sorry, this place is more suited to give opinions
not sympathy, just wanted to know what people have paid in similar experiences. you obviously arent going to be useful here. so once again, kthxbye
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack stands $25 a pair at Harbor Freight. You can get a basic jack for like $60. Socket wrench for 10 bucks & a set of deep sockets for another $10. Breaker bar for $10 and a pliers set for <10. Extension set for $5. Those are all the tools you'd really need for the job. Far from top of the line quality, but if you're just doing occasional wrenching, they'd suit your needs just fine. $150 in a few required tools.

Oil:
Mobil1 is usually about $7/quart, but you can find specials here & there for $25/jug (5-quart jug). Stay stocked up.

Labor:
Believe me, they didn't overcharge you. Nothing ever goes right when working on cars, and the number of hours in manuals are only a guide/estimate; it could go either way, depending on how stubborn the car decides to be.

The parts alone cost about $250 after tax. Leaving the labor cost of $300 with tax.
If they, in fact, charge only $60/hr (which is very cheap, by the way) that's really $65/hr after tax. That means they charged for 4.5 hours, which isn't that unreasonable when you think about how many hours the car was actually tying up that service bay getting fluids added, drained, parts properly removed, reinstalled, checked, etc.

To answer the title question: No, your mechanic is not overcharging.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

based on what I normally see, that price seems fair.

+1 for DIY, if you have the time and the space.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

not sympathy, just wanted to know what people have paid in similar experiences. you obviously arent going to be useful here. so once again, kthxbye
And to add, you weren't even smart enough to put this in the right section

Quick Reply: is my mechanic overcharging?