Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that the car that runs 11.7's?
Old 03-23-2004, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Are you refering to JS' car or Mike K.'s? Im pretty sure Mike K. never got to run anything before termination of his motor.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car ran 11.71@114 with just a 218-224 cam (rapid installed it)
It ran 11.49@116 w/JPR S1 218-224 Same weight
It ran 11.36@118.50 w/JPR TR224 Same weight

Thats the gods honest truth..
Truthfully the car was pretty impressive for such mild mods..
Old 03-23-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Well I talked to Joe about my heads.He said bring them down and he will reflow them. I will have them flowed independetly first and if they are low, bring them to him to see what he can do. If they flow around 300cfm I am not even going to bother going down there. I will start a new post when this happens.

JS what was the reason for your H/C change? You changed alot and only gained 1/10 the time and 1MPH? That is what I want to avoid, changing everything and just have it not worth it.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
Well I talked to Joe about my heads.He said bring them down and he will reflow them. I will have them flowed independetly first and if they are low, bring them to him to see what he can do. If they flow around 300cfm I am not even going to bother going down there. I will start a new post when this happens.

JS what was the reason for your H/C change? You changed alot and only gained 1/10 the time and 1MPH? That is what I want to avoid, changing everything and just have it not worth it.

Cool man let us know.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So JS' car was pretty fast to begin with...by looking at the ET and MPH, it looks like the JPR stage 1 heads were worth approx. 20 HP. Not terrible, but not overly impressive, either.

Was the car properly tuned with the JPR S1 heads, JS? Ever have it dynoed?
Old 03-23-2004, 03:52 PM
JS
10 Second Club

I gained more than a tenth..
These times were with JOE (165lbs soaking wet) driving the car in -1300 DA's
The best air I had running Carteks setup was -240 DA's and 100lbs heavier to boot.

Cams were almost identical
224-580 vs 224-563

Yea the Cartek heads were LS6 S2 heads but the shortblock lost comp. in 3 holes within 15 runs.
I never really got to show how this setup could shine.

I think I wouldve ran 10's w/the S2x if the shortblock didnt go poop.**** the CARTEK setup ran 122.98 in -240DA's,The BEST my JPR MPH'd was 118.50 and that was in MINE SHAFT air.

The JPR setup dynoed right around 380RW/365RWTQ
I will give Joe his props that setup flat out ran for what it was guys.
I never shifted the darn thing above 6200 and it idled with a nasty TR224 snarl.

Hope that helps....
Old 03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
JS
10 Second Club

The car dynoed about 25RW more with the addition of JPR S1's...
No too bad for 1200 at the time (I traded a VIG 3600 and some chicken wings)
Old 03-23-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not bad at all, JS, especially at that price.

But if you assume the cams are basically identical, your MPH indicates the Cartek heads are worth about 45 HP over the JPR heads. That's obviously a much better breathing pair of heads.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:10 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Well I think so...S1 LS1 compared to a S2 LS6 has to be better and IMO It was better---->MUCH BETTER.Its just a shame my 2nd shortblock is hurt or I couldve went for that 10 Sec pass this week
Old 03-23-2004, 04:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,185 Likes on 766 Posts

Mike K. are you still talking to JPR or no more?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Mike K. are you still talking to JPR or no more?

I am trying to talk to him but I get nowhere. He won't send me a refund and he won't send in writing anything stating that he will fix my heads to the proper spec. Last time I talked to him which was a few days ago he first said that he would send me the email with the written garantee about what my flow numbers should be on the 3.9 bore but then a couple hrs later I called him again and he said he would not send me an email because of his hard drive being at the fbi. Do you have any ideas of what else I could try?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by BADSS
What is the difference between a 216/216 cam and a 218/224 cam?

My guess would be 5-10 RWHP, max. Not that big of a deal, but the principle is a BIG DEAL. Once again, it calls JPR's credibility into question. What else has he lied about?
Wasn't their a claim of a ~25rwhp gain with his EWP that was a little suspect?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Last time I talked to him which was a few days ago he first said that he would send me the email with the written garantee about what my flow numbers should be on the 3.9 bore but then a couple hrs later I called him again and he said he would not send me an email because of his hard drive being at the fbi.

Did he remember talking to you a couple of hrs b4? Sounds like you called him right b4 one of his episodes Call him again and tell him your name is Mike K. and see what he says..
Old 03-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Wasn't their a claim of a ~25rwhp gain with his EWP that was a little suspect?
Oh yeah, I remember thinking that was
Old 03-23-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Mike you can send him a letter that he can sign and have a another letter in it with your address filled out so all he has do to is sign it. You can see where that gets you. I am about 2.5 hrs away so I will just bring my heads down there myself if i need to. Also having a bunch of a-holes making wise *** comments is not helping the matter of Joe helping you. He obviously doesnt have too if he doesnt want too since you have no paper trail or anything.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Mike, send a registered letter stating you intend to contact:
The NJ Department of ConsumerAffairs
The NJ Attorney General
The EPA ( I am sure they can write about 10 tickets on his premise)
The Dept. of Motor Vehicles(emmision tampering )
That is just to name a few.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
Mike you can send him a letter that he can sign and have a another letter in it with your address filled out so all he has do to is sign it. You can see where that gets you. I am about 2.5 hrs away so I will just bring my heads down there myself if i need to. Also having a bunch of a-holes making wise *** comments is not helping the matter of Joe helping you. He obviously doesnt have too if he doesnt want too since you have no paper trail or anything.
Ummm. There is a paper trail. Mike K. does not have to have JPR do jack. Mike K. can proceed with what he has and let the chips fall where they may. Mike K. is just trying to give JPR a chance to make it right and JPR is refusing. JPR has Mike K.'s address and could send him the information Mike K. wants. Hell when you stop by JPR ask him to give you a written statement for your heads. As a matter of fact, sense you are so chummy with him ask him to send you what your heads should flow now b4 you get them flowed.

Also, I am done with this post. The more I read it the more frustrated I get. Good luck with your JPR relationship.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

I dont want a written statement, if they flow wrong I will have him fix it, if for some reason he refuses I will get a different set of heads or have somebody else fix them. I wont drag it out over the internet over a silly piece of paper especially when Mike already apperently has another shop putting in a different set of heads. At some point you just acccept what happens, learn from it and move on. You can bitch all you want but it doesnt change anything. chummy lol, I am just willing to accept the help he is offering me if there is a problem.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Guys, I just don't know what to say anymore. I really cannot defend anyone anymore except JD as he got f'd over in all of this too with fixtures he bought for the flow bench, salary, and a bad rep due to bringing in JPR's issues. He asked me if I thought Joe P could port heads well and I said yes, and the JPR dyno numbers also prompted him to hire Joe P. JD is very popular with his local customers and has a bad taste for the internet business now from this, but he may still give it a chance. I believe in JPR's head porting talents, but feel that he must have got in over his head and things got rough. I'm not making any excuses for this. I hoped that once he was at JD's and doing just heads and not any mechanical work that thing would work out great, but the past haunted him to the point that I think he is considering quitting the racing business all together and he did not get that chance to do just heads. I do hope he can get this all turned around, but it is going to be a long road to travel. I doubt drugs, but do believe he has "as long as I can get thru today" type of problem. Whatever he can do to make it thru the day, no matter what the problems down the road, he has to do it. I have a longtime friend in my hometown that has the same problem and he acts almost the exact same way. I myself honestly never knew those cams and compression were what they were, thus my programming would have been different (and the idles would have been easier to adjust). I am not defending anything, but just want to get that out there as I have been thrown under the bus on this too and cannot allow the well respected business I have built up suffer from this as well.
I do have a set of Joe's LT1 heads on my 94 Impala SS that he ported for me way back in 98 when I was just a customer. I spun a bearing on the stock bottom end in 99 and had him build me a 383. BY NO FAULT OF HIS, the local machine shop in NJ that did the work for him back then overbored 2 of my cylinders on the 383 and about a year later the motor broke a ring land. I now have a Combination Motorsports 396 and even with the 98 JPR heads I have make 390HP to the wheels on a LT1 and ran a 12.1 @ 113 with the car this past weekend at a 4400 LB race weight. (full tank of gas in a heavy Impala SS with full interior and my fat a$$ in the car) I am really pleased with the times and I think my stroker is currently one of the top 5 quickest NA Impala SS cars on the net (that and a quarter will buy me a cup of coffee, I know) but it is a blast to run down the track. I was out $4K for the bad bottom end but rebounded with the new 396 (in the car almost 2 years now).
So, technically I am in the same boat as you guys that have lost money with a JPR product, but I couldn't bring myself to be very upset. I understand the costs of racing my car, but it still stung the wallet.
Mike and others I really do know how you feel, but can't help you from my position, if I would I could. I also want Joe to know if he is reading this that I am not trying to hurt him or his business in any way, but instead will try to help him as a longtime friend to get things straightened out and his life, job, business obligations, etc... back to as normal as possible.
Also, I'm not trying to invoke sympathy for him, but he is in danger of losing everything and I feel bad for anyone in this position, no matter how things got that way.
Maybe we can all work together to see what we can do to help Mike K, 9T9, Bravo, etc... and even Joe P himself. There has to be a way for this to all work out good and have a good ending with some really fast cars as my project eventually worked out.

I may have been blinded by my own faith, and maybe shouldn't have posted, but I have to see if there is any way I can help everyone involved. The heartfelt posts by JS even though he and JP didn't always get along have changed my attitude on all of this.

To the guys that really aren't involved and like to put in their own .02, really I think you hurt the situation more than help it as tempers just flare up more and you guys can sit back and laugh as it's not your $$$ or reputation on the line. I agree in reading the posts and giving good positive ideas, but the rebel rousing really doesn't get us any further to a conclusion.

Good night all,
Bryan

Joe P - If anything in this post upsets you and you feel I have wronged you in any way call me any time of day, I am really hoping to just get this all done and over so you can continue on with your life and hopefully get things in the right direction.

JS- How's it going....?

Mike K- If there is anything you need from me in the order of adjsutments or anything on your PCM just let me know (9t9 as well)