Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting rod caps/rod bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Connecting rod caps/rod bolts?

So im in the process of doing my h/c build and we swapped out the connecting rod bearings and replaced them with OEM bearings, (same thickness as stock) and installed new katech rod bolts. Is there anything else I should do with the engine after installing these parts? Some other people mentioned possibly having some other kind of work done that im not familiar with? Not really sure so thought Id ask. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinma62
So im in the process of doing my h/c build and we swapped out the connecting rod bearings and replaced them with OEM bearings, (same thickness as stock) and installed new katech rod bolts. Is there anything else I should do with the engine after installing these parts? Some other people mentioned possibly having some other kind of work done that im not familiar with? Not really sure so thought Id ask. Thanks in advance!

did you measure the bearing clearances on the new bearings. i know you said they were stock replacements but still
Old 04-21-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, i dont remember what they were off the top of my head but there at specs.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinma62
Some other people mentioned possibly having some other kind of work done that im not familiar with? Not really sure so thought Id ask. Thanks in advance!
Those people may have mentioned to resize the connecting rods.
Per directions, resizing the rods should be done with the ARP bolts, but does not need to be done with your Katech bolts.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what I have learned on this site you don't remove the rod caps,cracked rods .I hear you only remove the rod bolts 1 at a time.large end rod distortions seem to happen if the connect rod is not resized.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude I can only tell you from my own experience. Its good that you change your rod bolts and new bearings. I did the same thing and wonder if Im doing this thing right till I said the hell with it! Just do it and don't let it scare you. Just take your time and measure. As long as its up to specs and you have a good oil pressure. Your good. I installed new bearings and took the cap off the rods. Then installed arp rod bolts and the car run great! Over 6k rpm plenty of times without any problem. Sometimes getting too much info can work the opposite. Just go back to what you know and sometimes going back to basic goes along way! There's probably a few had change their rod bolt without resizing their rods. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ariel27
Dude I can only tell you from my own experience. Its good that you change your rod bolts and new bearings. I did the same thing and wonder if Im doing this thing right till I said the hell with it! Just do it and don't let it scare you. Just take your time and measure. As long as its up to specs and you have a good oil pressure. Your good. I installed new bearings and took the cap off the rods. Then installed arp rod bolts and the car run great! Over 6k rpm plenty of times without any problem. Sometimes getting too much info can work the opposite. Just go back to what you know and sometimes going back to basic goes along way! There's probably a few had change their rod bolt without resizing their rods. Good luck!
Thanks man, I installed the Katech rod bolts, and they do not require the rods to be worked or resized. I was just confused with something else another member said on my build thread. But after thinking about it I think its like you said there is just over analyzing.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

.003 out of round is not "over analyzing" it's bad. This was my personal experience.

And remember, it's easy for someone to tell you to just wing it when their money is not involved.

I'll tell everyone who changes rod bolts to resize them every time it comes up, regardless of which brand is used. Simply because every engine is different. Some may get away without resizing, some may not. I'd rather tell someone to resize when asked my opinion than tell them, "you might be ok" only to read a thread the next week saying their engine let loose.

At least I can say I tried.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this is where people get lazy and cheap. If it was my motor and you already have it apart I would have said okay new rod bolts then rods get resized. With a cracked rod cap once it's undone it never sit's the same then the bearing will wear funny and you run the risk of spinning the bearing and putting a rod out the block. Same risk as running stock rod bolt's. That's why I left my stock rod bolts in I knew it was a risk anyway and I knew my motor has better luck living with stock rod bolts. And I spin mine past 7000 all the time :-)

Quick Reply: Connecting rod caps/rod bolts?