Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AI's CNC 219 (241 castings) or PRC 2.5 ls6

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AI's CNC 219 (241 castings) or PRC 2.5 ls6

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of heads and cam. The TSP's will be matched with their 228r cam on 113 LSA. Advance Induction recommends their 226/230 - 600/600 on 114 LSA. What do you guys think? Anyone running either combo or have something similar? This is a 17k mile bolt-on camaro (ie...kooks, borla, yank ss3600 ,342 gears, etc)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

The PRC LS6's have ports that are ~230cc vs the smaller AI heads, so you will likely get alittle less hp/tq under the curve and possibly lazier throttle response, but peak numbers should be nearly identical.

I'd get the "high compression" 241 option which gets you welded up chambers for a smaller, very efficient chamber. I don't have any track times, but I lost to an 06 Mustang making 493rwhp (Mustang dyno) on race gas by only 1.5 car lengths and that was hitting the rev limiter in 3rd. A broad power curve is what you want, not necessarily peak numbers.

Jason
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I think both would be solid choices. I personally chose AI and have been happy so far.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Both would be great choices.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ls6-heads.html

There's a similar setup posted by a member recently with the PRC heads. He had an LS6 intake and a T56 tranny, but it gives you a reference point of what the "Average Joe" will see without breaking the bank.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...h-c-combo.html

There's one with the 228R and our Stage 2.5 5.3L heads. Also a T56 though and LS6 intake.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I gained just over 100 rwhp with PRC 2.5 LS6 heads, their V3 cam with the help of a FAST 92 on the same dyno. I think they will be so close I'd go with who ever is cheaper.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Whatevers cheaper Id say. Id go with AI if it was me though..
Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AI heads all the way. The cnc work is so much more nicer then the tsp cnc work. My AI heads went 3 tenths faster then my tsp heads. Texas speed cams are pretty good but their heads dont really impress me at all. I knew of a guy who ran the stock ls6 heads with there 233/239 cam and ran the same times with the prc 2.5 ls6 heads and only gain 6hp on the dyno. The pics I posted are prc and ai. the top one is the prc and the bottom one is the AI.
Attached Thumbnails AI's CNC 219 (241 castings) or PRC 2.5 ls6-tsp.jpg   AI's CNC 219 (241 castings) or PRC 2.5 ls6-tsp2.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of the 2 I would go PRC.
I would go with TEA over both of those.
My setup is tea 243 heads and 228 cam.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXHawk
AI heads all the way. The cnc work is so much more nicer then the tsp cnc work. My AI heads went 3 tenths faster then my tsp heads. Texas speed cams are pretty good but their heads dont really impress me at all. I knew of a guy who ran the stock ls6 heads with there 233/239 cam and ran the same times with the prc 2.5 ls6 heads and only gain 6hp on the dyno. The pics I posted are prc and ai. the top one is the prc and the bottom one is the AI.
Their new castings in your pictures do look shinier than the ported used castings you are comparing them to! Not really a great way to compare heads though, in my opinion! At least compare a new GM ported casting from PRC so it'll be shiny and not riddled with mud, grime, and whatever else is on those!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Their new castings in your pictures do look shinier than the ported used castings you are comparing them to! Not really a great way to compare heads though, in my opinion! At least compare a new GM ported casting from PRC so it'll be shiny and not riddled with mud, grime, and whatever else is on those!
oh my bad. I guess the shinny head does make the intake and exhaust ports look 100% better. All seriousness if u look at the port work u can see that the ai head is machine better then ur heads. the AI head looks almost like factory and everything is nice and smooth. The Dports look like d ports not like dports that someone went in and grinded on with a dremel. U can tell the AI heads someone spent the time and did beautiful work. Ur head look like someone was either hung over on a monday or in a hurry to leave on a friday.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Launching!

AI 241's all the way. Check out my numbers. Best Bang for the buck. I let them spec the cam to match my ported heads. Then you just got to nail the tune which is the hard part.
Stay away from the Fast 92 TB...but go with the ported Fast 92 Intake.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

I'm having the same exact dilemma. I think I'm going to choose TSP over AI due to budget. (Head/Cam/Timing Chain/Oil Pump Package seems cheaper to my door)

I'd also say once we settle our own minds, to stay off this damn forum until they arrive at the door. I could have sworn I was confident in my choice, the more and more I read I end up bringing it back up for discussion. Lol I'm with you, I want the best bang for my buck!

Good luck in your hunt!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
I'm having the same exact dilemma. I think I'm going to choose TSP over AI due to budget. (Head/Cam/Timing Chain/Oil Pump Package seems cheaper to my door)

I'd also say once we settle our own minds, to stay off this damn forum until they arrive at the door. I could have sworn I was confident in my choice, the more and more I read I end up bringing it back up for discussion. Lol I'm with you, I want the best bang for my buck!

Good luck in your hunt!
best bang for the buck is just running stock ls6 heads and call it a day
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't offer an inferior product. We care about the cylinder heads we offer and the performance they bring to the table. There is a reason we have been doing this for so long and its not because we offer poor quality work. Here is a link to give you guys a tour of exactly what we do. Feel free to give me a call with any questions or concerns.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...der-heads.html

Last edited by Sales1@Texas-speed; 12-14-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSXHawk
best bang for the buck is just running stock ls6 heads and call it a day
That sounds so boring...lol

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
We don't offer an inferior product. We care about the cylinder heads we offer and the performance they bring to the table. There is a reason we have been doing this for so long and its not because we offer poor quality work. Here is a link to give you guys a tour of exactly what we do. Feel free to give me a call with any questions or concerns.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...der-heads.html
I looked at this earlier. Super nice shop!

To the OP: I take every thing I read on this forum and others like it with a grain of salt. Unless there is a complete thread on a topic/component/part from one place or another that no one is satisfied with, then I probably wouldn't waste my time and money. Thus far there is no right or wrong choice and as I stated above TSP is the better choice for me with the package deal. AI and TSP were the two companies I had narrowed my search down to. I have no experience with either head yet, but my (wife's set) budget is very thankful for the TSP pricing.

Does AI offer a Military discount that anyone knows of? If they do, how much of a discount is it? Just curious...
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

People are always bashing PRC heads by unjust comparisons. I say PRC heads are good, may be they leave some power on table compared to some but the extra $$ is not worth it.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The first build Matt at TSP is talking about is mine. I was in the same boat as you OP when I was trying to decide on my build. I believe there was about a $500-750 difference between the two companies and the gains by going with AI I couldn't justify spending the extra cash. I would highly recommend TSP, their a good company to work with and they always answered their phone fast and were able to answer all of my questions quickly. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Austinma62
The first build Matt at TSP is talking about is mine. I was in the same boat as you OP when I was trying to decide on my build. I believe there was about a $500-750 difference between the two companies and the gains by going with AI I couldn't justify spending the extra cash. I would highly recommend TSP, their a good company to work with and they always answered their phone fast and were able to answer all of my questions quickly. Good luck!
What's the deciding factor in going with the TSP 2.5 LS6 heads vs the TSP 2.5 5.3 heads?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured since the 2.5 ls6 heads would flow more air they would produce more horsepower. However when looking at other people dynos with the same cam but with the 5.3L heads there producing about the same hp/ torque and maybe a hair more. It could just be a happy dyno or the fact i did my build with like 124k on the shortblock, its hard to say. TSP would be able to help you decide better. BTW my heads were milled to give me a 11.1 comp ratio.

Quick Reply: AI's CNC 219 (241 castings) or PRC 2.5 ls6