Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Vengeance stopped carrying Yella Terras 6645's because of increased failure??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
Also you didn't get "upgraded rockers"... You got an upgrade to your rockers so that when they fail they won't wreak havoc on everything.
This...
Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of the Jesel's are not designed for your lift and will contact at the bottom of the rocker to the stand breaking the rocker. There are a number of documented cases of this happening. So be careful on buying the Jesel's as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Good morning guys. Since we were mentioned in this thread I felt we should clarify a few things..

* We no longer install Yella Terra 6645s on any of our builds in house.

* We do offer Yella Terra 6645s for sale if a customer calls and requests them, BUT we do inform them of the issues we have had in the past with these rockers.

*Yella Terra offers a shaft mount adjustable rocker that we have had zero failures with. These do require valve cover spacers or aftermarket valve covers.

* In almost 15 years of working on the LS engine I have never seen a stock rocker break, other than to spill the needle bearings. The stock rockers are EXTREMELY strong especially once fitted with the Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade... The reason for going with roller rockers over the stock rockers has much less to do with overall strength and much more to do with valve train geometry. I could go into greater detail on this, but a quick search on the forum will net you plenty of information on this topic.

* IF you do run stock rockers it is highly recommended you have POWDER METAL valve guides.

I hope this helps a bit. If anyone would like to call the shop I would be happy to discuss in greater detail.

Last edited by Ron@Vengeance; 07-03-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Good morning guys. Since we were mentioned in this thread I felt we should clarify a few things..

* We no longer install Yella Terra 6645s on any of our builds in house.

* We do offer Yella Terra 6645s for sale if a customer calls and requests them, BUT we do inform them of the issues we have had in the past with these rockers.

*Yella Terra offers a shaft mount adjustable rocker that we have had zero failures with. These do require valve cover spacers or aftermarket valve covers.

* In almost 15 years of working on the LS engine I have never seen a stock rocker break, other than to spill the needle bearings. The stock rockers are EXTREMELY strong especially once fitted with the Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade... The reason for going with roller rockers over the stock rockers has much less to do with overall strength and much more to do with valve train geometry. I could go into greater detail on this, but a quick search on the forum will net you plenty of information on this topic.

* IF you do run stock rockers it is highly recommended you have bronze valve guides.

I hope this helps a bit. If anyone would like to call the shop I would be happy to discuss in greater detail.
You mean the opposite, stock rockers, NO bronze guides.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by derrickman05
I was at Texas Speed today ordering a top end and when I asked them about a rocker they said nothing beats a stocker with a trunion upgrade. (for what I'm trying to do) I'm sure a 1000$ set of jessels would be just fine but I got upgraded rockers for 1/3 of that

Quote: TransAmcoupe..."Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard come from a sponsor..."

Why is it dumb?
The sponsor qualified the recommendation, "for what he's trying to do".
No one but derrickman05 knows what that qualification is.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You mean the opposite, stock rockers, NO bronze guides.
I did... Edited
Old 07-03-2012, 12:18 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a thought... Would the YT Platinums be better suited? I haven't heard of a failure from THOSE.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron, at what point would you NOT recommend stock rockers?

Do you look at the cam or the springs to decide on this in most cases?

I'm running PRC .675 springs with their Ls3 231/236 cam.

I have heard many suggestions and backed by good reason and fact, just curious what another sponsor would say.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Needle bearings are sorta like AIDS for your motor. Might not kill it initially, but it will die in time. Stock rockers have been failing because people are using a much stiffer spring these days such as the PRC .650 or .675, and using higher lift cams.
Show me a motor that has died from having needle bearings loose in it. They are too large to get sucked up by the oil pump, they won't fit through the screen.

Stock rockers are failing on stock cars with stock cams and stock springs because the original ones are a shitty design, not because people are running large cams and heavy springs.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Show me a motor that has died from having needle bearings loose in it. They are too large to get sucked up by the oil pump, they won't fit through the screen.

Stock rockers are failing on stock cars with stock cams and stock springs because the original ones are a shitty design, not because people are running large cams and heavy springs.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/15983303-post14.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ough-idle.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ke-rocker.html
Old 07-03-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1

So 450# springs and 650 lift cams aren't killing rockers???? It is the design??? We should spread the word.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Launching!

will the jesel J2K rockers work with a comp xe r 236 238 .601 .605 112+4 lsa cam, with out clearance problems ?
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Launching!

This was my thread, and now its gone to poop. Yes I know how good and light stock rockers are. THIS IS BASED ON ROLLER ROCKERS FOR TFS HEADS. No I am not gonna spend hundreds of dollars to remove and ship my heads to get powdered metal guides installed. The pushrod and shim kit I bought to use the stock rockers works like *****. Every company's aluminum roller rocker out there do not recommend spring pressures over 400 lbs open. People do it anyway. Eventually some rockers will fail, some wont.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ron if your installing any cylinder head with a bronze valve guide in-house what rockers do you go with now? Harlans? Scorpions?

I already had Doug replace one of my YT's already, just curious what you recommend now.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 07-03-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by need4z
This was my thread, and now its gone to poop. Yes I know how good and light stock rockers are. THIS IS BASED ON ROLLER ROCKERS FOR TFS HEADS. No I am not gonna spend hundreds of dollars to remove and ship my heads to get powdered metal guides installed. The pushrod and shim kit I bought to use the stock rockers works like *****. Every company's aluminum roller rocker out there do not recommend spring pressures over 400 lbs open. People do it anyway. Eventually some rockers will fail, some wont.
Sorry to derail your thread
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by need4z
I am running the Jesel Sportsmans in TFS 215s with bronze guides and they work well. The Jesels are rated to 900 pounds of open spring pressure. Another alternative is the Crane gold rockers, which are rated to 700-900 pounds of open spring pressures depending on the specific rocker.

Quick Reply: So Vengeance stopped carrying Yella Terras 6645's because of increased failure??