Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stroker kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation stroker kit?

Can someone explain the whole stroking,honing, and boring concept to me. Also what needs else needs to be done to the engine with a stroker kit, I.E. new heads?
I really want to do a 383 stroker kit but have no idea where to start besides the kit.

I have a 1998 Z28

thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonicZ
Can someone explain the whole stroking,honing, and boring concept to me. Also what needs else needs to be done to the engine with a stroker kit, I.E. new heads?
I really want to do a 383 stroker kit but have no idea where to start besides the kit.

I have a 1998 Z28

thanks
If you are just buying a rotating assembly, you need to have a machine shop (a good one that knows LS motors) do the work to the block and assemble it.

The heads have nothing to do with rotating assemblies (within reason, lets not nit pick here guys).

Sounds like to me you would better off buying a complete short block since you have limited knowledge. This way, it comes in and you just swap everything over and you are good to go.. Then sell your old short block for whatever you can to recoup some cash.

How much do you have for a budget?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
If you are just buying a rotating assembly, you need to have a machine shop (a good one that knows LS motors) do the work to the block and assemble it.

The heads have nothing to do with rotating assemblies (within reason, lets not nit pick here guys).

Sounds like to me you would better off buying a complete short block since you have limited knowledge. This way, it comes in and you just swap everything over and you are good to go.. Then sell your old short block for whatever you can to recoup some cash.

How much do you have for a budget?
Alright thanks for the help. Would I be better off just buying a complete ls3? $7,000-$9,000 is my budget.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alright thanks for the help. Would I be better off just buying a complete ls3? $7,000-$9,000 is my budget.
Your budget for the long block? Short block? Entire build?

What is your budget for the short block? Or the long block... I mean just the main things... The internals/heads/cam/intake/etc... Not counting in headers/anything trans or rear end related/etc..

With the updated blocks (Ls3/l99/ly6/etc etc) you are looking at a bit more stuff to actually do the swap... Conversion box/VVT delete/relocating things/etc...

As to where the older style lq4/lq9 blocks are more of a direct swap.

You have to look into the pros and cons of both and find out if it is worth it to you.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your budget for the long block? Short block? Entire build?

What is your budget for the short block? Or the long block... I mean just the main things... The internals/heads/cam/intake/etc... Not counting in headers/anything trans or rear end related/etc..

With the updated blocks (Ls3/l99/ly6/etc etc) you are looking at a bit more stuff to actually do the swap... Conversion box/VVT delete/relocating things/etc...

As to where the older style lq4/lq9 blocks are more of a direct swap.

You have to look into the pros and cons of both and find out if it is worth it to you.

Well I want to spend no more than $17,500 on my entire build for my car. I'm also doing a T-56 conversion I hate my automatic. I know I could sell this and go buy a t-56 camaro or trans am but I want to build something. What would you suggest to be most cost efficient and most power without a hot cam or forced induction. I hate the sound of the extreme loping and simply I just don't want to do forced induction. I have about $13,500 in parts. I just need to do the engine.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will spend more than $17,500 if its worth it to have something durable with all the right parts. I'm not going cheap on this build. Its my first LS1. I had a 79 Berlinetta with a 502 BBC in it.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I want to spend no more than $17,500 on my entire build for my car. I'm also doing a T-56 conversion I hate my automatic. I know I could sell this and go buy a t-56 camaro or trans am but I want to build something. What would you suggest to be most cost efficient and most power without a hot cam or forced induction. I hate the sound of the extreme loping and simply I just don't want to do forced induction. I have about $13,500 in parts. I just need to do the engine.
Wow... Lot of info all over the place.

So did I read correctly? You have 4,000$ to spend on the short block? Or long block?

I just need a ball park number you have to spend on the engine so I have an idea what your options might be, unless I read wrong I didn't see it in that post.

Did I read you don't like the lope? And no forced induction? Nitrous? What are your power goals?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow... Lot of info all over the place.

So did I read correctly? You have 4,000$ to spend on the short block? Or long block?

I just need a ball park number you have to spend on the engine so I have an idea what your options might be, unless I read wrong I didn't see it in that post.

Did I read you don't like the lope? And no forced induction? Nitrous? What are your power goals?
Yes $4,000 for the complete engine running in my car. I will spend more if it's needed. I want to have between 450rwhp-500rwhp and similar torque. I'm willing to spend upto another $7,500-$9,000 on the complete engine.

HAHA yes you read that correctly. I don't like the lope. It belongs in classic muscle cars. IMO.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes $4,000 for the complete engine running in my car. I will spend more if it's needed. I want to have between 450rwhp-500rwhp and similar torque. I'm willing to spend upto another $7,500-$9,000 on the complete engine.

HAHA yes you read that correctly. I don't like the lope. It belongs in classic muscle cars. IMO.
I would give Kyle at Thompson motorsports out of TX a call.. Tell him you are wanting an lq9 with ARP rod bolts and forged pistons... He can get you into that cheap and it will give you room for improvements.
I would then pick up an L92 top end and a small cam. Why? The l92 top ends are known for making above average power with very small cams (because of the valve size), this would give you the power levels you want with very little lope.

You should be able to stay within budget, or close, and make the power you want.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would give Kyle at Thompson motorsports out of TX a call.. Tell him you are wanting an lq9 with ARP rod bolts and forged pistons... He can get you into that cheap and it will give you room for improvements.
I would then pick up an L92 top end and a small cam. Why? The l92 top ends are known for making above average power with very small cams (because of the valve size), this would give you the power levels you want with very little lope.

You should be able to stay within budget, or close, and make the power you want.

Alright thanks man, I really appreciate the help. A lot of people on here aren't very helpful. Do you know where in Texas Thompson motorsports is?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alright thanks man, I really appreciate the help. A lot of people on here aren't very helpful. Do you know where in Texas Thompson motorsports is?
nevada texas

Not a problem...
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

nevada texas

Not a problem...

That's funny. I'm from Nevada and I'm moving to Texas in September.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's funny. I'm from Nevada and I'm moving to Texas in September.
Coincidence or fate? Ha
Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Coincidence or fate? Ha
FATE! hahaha

Have a good night, I'll be sure to shoot you a message if I have any further questions.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Feel free to give us a call at your convenience, We are here to help you find the perfect match for your needs.

Thank you for the referral lemons12, Your motor looks crazy aggressive by the way. I will see if I can get a pic of it up today. I love the + pistons in this thing.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://shop.thompsonmotorsports.net/...sb-62f-364.htm

lOOKS LIKE IT WILL FIT YOUR NEEDS PERFECTLY.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

FATE! hahaha

Have a good night, I'll be sure to shoot you a message if I have any further questions.
Any time...
Originally Posted by thompson
Thank you for the referral lemons12, Your motor looks crazy aggressive by the way. I will see if I can get a pic of it up today. I love the + pistons in this thing.
The least I can do!

Talked to you just a bit ago to finish everything up and get the motor on its way. The anticipation is killing me however so I will take you up on that offer!
I hope it looks good enough I don't want to put it in, I still have a few weeks before she is ready to go in so it will help that wait if I can sit back and stare at it!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, it is pretty. That is the hardest part about making a piece that looks like this. You don't want to install it, instead you want to put it in a glass case in your living room.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thompson
Oh yeah, it is pretty. That is the hardest part about making a piece that looks like this. You don't want to install it, instead you want to put it in a glass case in your living room.
Hell... The car has been a paper weight for almost two years... Might as well keep the tradition going!

Is it bad if the short block is prettier than the car?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

I just sent over the pic of it. Post it all you want, it looks even better in person.

Quick Reply: stroker kit?