Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quickest/easiest most effecient way to gain a solid 40-60 rwhp? No nitrous..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

again, i was just go with a cheaper version of getting the power, thats all.
He's probably not going to gain anywhere near 40rwhp with at home ported heads, especially if he has never done this before.

That on the high end of AI full CNC territory right there.

I agree that if he wants a cheap 15rwhp to try and port your own heads if you have the time and skills. But when looking for 40+rwhp it's best to leave head porting to the professionals...and that ain't cheap ($1000+)
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastvet
im assuming he's on a budget. if u notice everything i posted, that can be done with less than $200. Yes it is time consuming but with little cash thats not a bad route for power. Now if it were me, i'd say cam, heads, headers w/ cutout and a tune. that will give u @100 rwhp. Not to mention all the other bolt ons. But it looks like he is looking for just a couple horsepower. Everyone knows he can pop in a MS4 cam with a tune and call it a day reaching over 40hp. or some PRC 215's with gutted cats and cometic gaskets, but thats pricey. again, i was just go with a cheaper version of getting the power, thats all.
You give awful advice. Why would you install a camshaft on a motor with stock exhaust manifolds? You wouldn't... unless you were foolish. The easiest and most efficient. That would be headers, y-pipe, and tune and no other way with an LS1 unless you do nitrous. You surpass his 60 RWHP limit once you get a FAST Intake, a Cam, or heads(p&p'd or not).
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

to each their own with foolish advice. and camshafts have been installed on cars without headers. do some research before u judge. I've got two builds and r pretty freaking fast cars. dont tell mee u wouldnt pay $400 for a cam, another 400 for a tune at a shop and get awesome results out of it with little money? again, this is for more power less money. ur advice was over $1000 dollars and he wouldnt have near the power im talking about. so keep ur comments to urself. let the gy who posted draw his own conclusion
Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM

my vote goes to :
lid, P&P maf ends and TB, Longtubes, ORY. I think that would yeild the power your looking for.

$95+free+free+$200+150=$445 pretty reasonable
Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

to each their own with foolish advice. and camshafts have been installed on cars without headers. do some research before u judge. I've got two builds and r pretty freaking fast cars. dont tell mee u wouldnt pay $400 for a cam, another 400 for a tune at a shop and get awesome results out of it with little money? again, this is for more power less money. ur advice was over $1000 dollars and he wouldnt have near the power im talking about. so keep ur comments to urself. let the gy who posted draw his own conclusion
Cam swaps are a lot more money than that. Suggesting to someone to pull and port their own heads if they have no experience doing porting is outright wrong.

Full exhaust,tune and intake swap will get you close OP. Leave your MAF alone. Sans headers not too hard to do and not expensive to tune. Plus your MPG will improve a tad.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Who the hell installs a 400 dollar cam, and doesn't do oil pump ($160) timing chain and gears (72) and all associated seals and bolts?

Easiest and cheapest way OP is what I and about 5 others have already mentioned. And leave the MAF alone. Any tuner worth his socks will tell you the same.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

dont tell mee u wouldnt pay $400 for a cam, another 400 for a tune at a shop and get awesome results out of it with little money?
A $400 cam package (that doesn't require new pushrods and springs) is smaller than a z06 cam. Meaning he's going to gain less than 10rwhp through stock manifolds.

That might be the worst $/hp or hp/effort ratio on the planet, heck even a lid gains as much power and is half the price and takes 20 minutes to install as apposed to 4 hours.

And if you do know of any cam that can be installed with NO other supporting mods and gets awesome results (aka >30rwhp) please share with us cuz we're all dying to know.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

First off , Redtan ur an idiot. get off my nuts and just respond to the OP. where in the world did i say "cam package?" And i can tell ur somewhat of a rook cuz u dont need hardened pushrods. In my Vette i have a 224 cam with stock pushrodd pushing 40,000 miles on it spraying 150 at the track. ur post was a waste of time to read. second my boy is running stock oil pump in his vette with a 228 cam. is the ls6 cam needed yes, but it isnt showing issues and it dony go below 25 psi and when he revs it the guage goes up. LS6 oil pump is recommended but u can do without if u dont have a big cam. not bashing anyone of the rest of u all just the nuthuggers that dont take time to see the other half of the equation. the OP asked if a cam would help. all of u said no. while the correct answer is no without the supporting mods, the other answer is yes u can add a cam as long as u change the crank bolt, timing chain, springs, etc. can u run a cam on stock exhaust manifold, yes! cut the cats and he already has borla exhaust. is running a cam like that recommended, no, not by a race enthusiast, but it can be done if money is a variable. some of u guys need to stop acting like the only way to do things is by the book. look around at other cars that r put together half assed and see how they run. my opinion is my opinion, i got two cars to back that **** up with. Anyone else that want to talk trash about my advice can stop swinging on my nuts and respond to the OP.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

sorry, ls6 oil pump. ...i know how some of u ***** r if i dont correct it
Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Trust me, nobody is "swinging" on your nuts.

But for you say it's ok to run a cam on stock pushrods is nothing short of foolish.

I emplore you to take a close look at pic #10 in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ads-build.html

That's a bent stock PR, on a stock cam. It's happened more times than I can count. This is just the most recent thread that comes to mind.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

First off , Redtan ur an idiot. get off my nuts and just respond to the OP. where in the world did i say "cam package?" And i can tell ur somewhat of a rook cuz u dont need hardened pushrods. In my Vette i have a 224 cam with stock pushrodd pushing 40,000 miles on it spraying 150 at the track. ur post was a waste of time to read. second my boy is running stock oil pump in his vette with a 228 cam. is the ls6 cam needed yes, but it isnt showing issues and it dony go below 25 psi and when he revs it the guage goes up. LS6 oil pump is recommended but u can do without if u dont have a big cam. not bashing anyone of the rest of u all just the nuthuggers that dont take time to see the other half of the equation. the OP asked if a cam would help. all of u said no. while the correct answer is no without the supporting mods, the other answer is yes u can add a cam as long as u change the crank bolt, timing chain, springs, etc. can u run a cam on stock exhaust manifold, yes! cut the cats and he already has borla exhaust. is running a cam like that recommended, no, not by a race enthusiast, but it can be done if money is a variable. some of u guys need to stop acting like the only way to do things is by the book. look around at other cars that r put together half assed and see how they run. my opinion is my opinion, i got two cars to back that **** up with. Anyone else that want to talk trash about my advice can stop swinging on my nuts and respond to the OP.
And that's why no one is accepting your advice. I trust methods that are proven and 'by-the-book'.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how I gained 51 rwhp
Stock 298rwhp
SLP lid/port polish TB + free mods(cut egr tube, tb coolant bypass)/LS6 intake 325rwhp
LT Headers + true duals + tune 349rwhp
Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

First off , Redtan ur an idiot. get off my nuts and just respond to the OP. where in the world did i say "cam package?"
I am responding to the OP...I am trying to tell him that the advice you're giving him is retarded and is only going to 1) cause more problems in the end and 2) cost more money for less power.

There are two ways to give advice: actually giving it by suggesting something or debunking retarded advice others might try to give him. By saving him the headache and wasted $ that would happen because of your advice, I am in fact giving him advice.

You go on with your magical 224 cam and stock pushrods through stock exhaust and self ported heads. Others want to do things the right way, and if by that we are being "rooks" well so be it. We are rooks with more reliable engines that make more power for cheaper than you non-rooks.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice job with the name calling and more bad advice....FAIL
Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow. Just wow.

I have never pulled a lsx engine apart without at least 2 bent stock pushrods.

Porting heads not only requires time and knowledge but the tools aren't cheap either. He is more likely to do harm than good. Not to mention the cost of gaskets, head bolts, etc.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Wow. I love how a guy asks a question and gets to read through a bunch of bickering.

Anyway, to the OP, you can see there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. Some ways aren't as reliable or "by the book" as was said before. My opinion is to do headers, ory, lid, ported tb. You could get it tuned for a few more hp, but it isn't necessary for those mods. If you want to go further get a cam, with the supporting mods, and tune it up. Lots of M6 cars making at, near and over 400 rwhp cam only.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idle
TSP 1 7/8" Stainless Steel Headers = $499 (texas speed website)

TSP SS Y-Pipe (Non-cat) = $149

LS6 Intake = $350 (classifieds)

Frost Tune = $149

Don't forget all misc. expenses. And enjoy

Also, wrong subforum? Why add heads or cam if your bottlenecked at your headers & y-pipe?

Edit: Start considering a clutch upgrade and a new rear-end too.
Add a lid or K&N FIPK to this and you are there. Remember that on the 4th Gen Fbody a direct flow lid and losing the stock air box and all the baffeling is worth a solid 25hp. People talking about doing heads and cam without doing bolt ons first are talking out of their ***. Bolt ons you can do yourself with hand tools in your driveway.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SladeX
Here's how I gained 51 rwhp
Stock 298rwhp
SLP lid/port polish TB + free mods(cut egr tube, tb coolant bypass)/LS6 intake 325rwhp
LT Headers + true duals + tune 349rwhp
I do believe this^^is the only clearly defined answer the OP was looking for. Is it the only way? No but, it has worked well for him.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also look into a Texas Speed cam pkg to go with the mods listed above.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

ls6 intake, LT headers, Y-pipe and a tune would be good for 60hp without much of a problem

Quick Reply: Quickest/easiest most effecient way to gain a solid 40-60 rwhp? No nitrous..