Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

could it be ANOTHER spun bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could it be ANOTHER spun bearing???

we just put this new motor in around January/February because of spun bearing in the old motor....

my bf made some 1/4 mile passes at the track Friday and then Saturday we got up and he was checking the coolant and oil and all that and he turned on the car and every once in while you could here a little clanking noise (not really loud at all) in fact it was kinda unnoticeable... we drove it to get something around town, drove it back home, and the clanking was louder and more often.... then we didn't drive it any more and we started it up for some of out buddies to listen to it later last night, and they said it was too loud to be a lifter (my bf thought it might be that because of his low oil pressure) then when he started it, it was like CHAOS... the clanking was louder, and it didn't have rythm at all... it just sounded like something going haywire...

he has about 800 miles on the motor (the motor is a rebiult forged 347) and when he got the motor he didn't get new lifters.... but anyways, what could this be? another spun bearing?? we are about to have to pull that car apart AGAIN!!!!!

the car is an automatic.... any ideas, could it be a flexwheel or what??
Old 04-04-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

I've had the torque converter bolts loosen up before, it starts out quiet and gets really loud and erratic. Its worth checking before you pull the motor.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

"I've had the torque converter bolts loosen up before, it starts out quiet and gets really loud and erratic"

I have seen that to, I would also check all your pulleys make sure they are tight anbd make sure the balancer didnt cmoe apart, All of these will casue a simialr sound.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ta12sec
"I've had the torque converter bolts loosen up before, it starts out quiet and gets really loud and erratic"

I have seen that to, I would also check all your pulleys make sure they are tight anbd make sure the balancer didnt cmoe apart, All of these will casue a simialr sound.

Only thing is that neither one of these will cause a drop off in oil pressure
Old 04-04-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry missed the low pressure part...........
Old 04-04-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

he is going to check the converter tomorrow.... i hope that is all it is

hope hope hope hope hope hope hope
Old 04-04-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

If the oil pressure has dropped since the initial install then I would think that it could be attributed to a bearing. I had Celica engine do the same thing. It started as a slight sound and gradually became worse. The oil pressure never fell to low but that still didn't change the fact that it had a bad bearing.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would start my own thread but I figure my question can be answered by Wayne or anybody esle who reads this. Can you please describe the symptoms of a spun bearing. What I am dealing with is car will start and idle if I give it a little gas. The oil pressure is about 15-20 at 1k idle rpm. I am hearing a a metalic noise coming from underneathe the driverside valvecover. This started last nigt after a pass at the track. The oil pressure dropped to about 10 and the car stalled at the 1000ft mark. Would anything beside a spun bearing give me the above symptoms?

Gilbert
Old 04-05-2004, 10:05 AM
myZ
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blkbeaZ28
I would start my own thread but I figure my question can be answered by Wayne or anybody esle who reads this. Can you please describe the symptoms of a spun bearing. What I am dealing with is car will start and idle if I give it a little gas. The oil pressure is about 15-20 at 1k idle rpm. I am hearing a a metalic noise coming from underneathe the driverside valvecover. This started last nigt after a pass at the track. The oil pressure dropped to about 10 and the car stalled at the 1000ft mark. Would anything beside a spun bearing give me the above symptoms?

Gilbert
So the oil pressure dropped when the car stalled at the 1000ft mark? Or is the oil pressure still low if you run it now?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:10 AM
myZ
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
I've had the torque converter bolts loosen up before, it starts out quiet and gets really loud and erratic. Its worth checking before you pull the motor.
If the oil pressure is where it was 800mi ago when the engine was new i'd do what 66impala and other people said....check those verter bolts....you put red loctite on them right? i've seen it save alot of people!!! Best of luck
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myZ
So the oil pressure dropped when the car stalled at the 1000ft mark? Or is the oil pressure still low if you run it now?
It will start up and the oil pressure stays between 15-20 during idle, if you accelerate it will go up to 40, to get it to idle I have to start it up while on the throttle and slowly let out of the throttle untill it can idle which is set at 1k rpm's.The metalic noise is still there. I haven't removed the valve cover yet but is there anything that could have happened with the valvetrain that would drop the oil pressure. Bending a pushrod and a oil pump starting to go bad would be too much of a coincidence but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Gilbert
Old 04-13-2004, 10:24 AM
myZ
Staging Lane

Find out anything yet??? Metal shavings on the drain plug??? ? Any knocking? Oil level?
Best of luck!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

the bolts had backed out of the crank and the flywheel was bent....

all fixed now! thank goodness