Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDIT: FINALY GOT IT! (stripped my fuc****crank threads all the way) installing pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
you can just rent them from like oreilys or what?
yes....
Orileys, Autozone.....

and they rent a huge selection of tools...

though.. its more like a loaner with a refundable deposit...
and once in a while, the tool was messed up by somebody else, so you just go back and show them and they pull a new one off the shelf for you
Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok cool as long as they have the size m16x2 I guess that will work
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another person bit by "LS1howto.com". That site is responsible for more damaged crank shafts and yet it is still followed.

Don't install with a bolt, longer or otherwise. Either buy the correct tool or make one, it is not hard and can be done for less than $20. This is a press fit.

Also, if you are following that web site, the final values for torque are wrong as well. There is no torque, it is a prescribed rotation of the bolt to ensure the stretch is correct.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool story
Crayons might even be a bit too complex in this case.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

:
Originally Posted by crainholio
Crayons might even be a bit too complex in this case.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Another person bit by "LS1howto.com". That site is responsible for more damaged crank shafts and yet it is still followed.

Don't install with a bolt, longer or otherwise. Either buy the correct tool or make one, it is not hard and can be done for less than $20. This is a press fit.

Also, if you are following that web site, the final values for torque are wrong as well. There is no torque, it is a prescribed rotation of the bolt to ensure the stretch is correct.
I followed it on the "basic" stuff. Doing the valves i did the right method instead of there "torque it down an call it good" method. And yea it did bite me on the balancer install. Read so much how about people just pulling them on with longer bolt and than seeing it there figured it was same ****. It will get heated to 200* this time while using the install tool and making sure its not going on to difficult.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3173/=iy0j86

99055A239

Get a torrington bearing, a few different size washers, and a nut.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I know people have been sucessful doing it this way, but MANY..MANY more have stripped or boogered up threads with this method.

If you do a search, there are countless threads on why you shouldnt do it this way.

I would like to respectfully say, you shouldnt pass this on as an effective means to install a damper.

There is a correct way to do this with the proper tool.
I have seen alot strip threads using the stock length bolt, I ran it in just out of curiosity and you would be pulling on just a few threads. The ls7 threaded way in, I have yet to see someone pull threads out using a longer then stock bolt. Except for the OP, who admitted he didnt run it in far enough.

I was not aware the tool doesnt pull on the threads at all though, guess next time Ill give it a try.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
I have seen alot strip threads using the stock length bolt, I ran it in just out of curiosity and you would be pulling on just a few threads. The ls7 threaded way in, I have yet to see someone pull threads out using a longer then stock bolt. Except for the OP, who admitted he didnt run it in far enough.

I was not aware the tool doesnt pull on the threads at all though, guess next time Ill give it a try.
Who said the tool doesn't pull on the crank threads at all? There is a difference between pulling on them and pulling on them while turning a bolt into them while pressing on a pulley. Why is this so hard to grasp?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

If i would have pulled it on further with the longer bolt i think it would have been fine. I just wish i would have heated it up and got it on further before using anything though.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If i would have pulled it on further with the longer bolt i think it would have been fine. I just wish i would have heated it up and got it on further before using anything though.
You just keep doing it that way then Skippy.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Who said the tool doesn't pull on the crank threads at all? There is a difference between pulling on them and pulling on them while turning a bolt into them while pressing on a pulley. Why is this so hard to grasp?
Thats what I meant and had pictured in my head, just didnt phrase it correctly.

There just is no evidence that it hurts anything and its easy as hell if done right. Find me someone who stripped threads using the longer bolt? With the amount of threads you get in there, its not gonna strip.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I bet you'll use the right tool next time time won't ya?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There just is no evidence that it hurts anything and its easy as hell if done right. Find me someone who stripped threads using the longer bolt? With the amount of threads you get in there, its not gonna strip.
Done right? That is impossible, because it is not the right way to do it, period. Using a longer bolt to pull a crank pulley on is an old hot-rodder trick, and was probably invented by the same type of guy that thought stuffing bread in the *** end of a crank to remove a pilot bearing was a good idea. The longer bolt works if you are in a bind, but if it goes south, you are in a world of hurt because you just f'd your crank. See the first post in this thread for a real world example.

The reason you don't see evidence is because: a.) you can't see the crank threads to tell whether or not they are damaged and b.) if it does work, chances are you won't be trying it over and over again since crank pulleys are usually a one and done type of deal.

By using a longer bolt, you have to overcome the friction of the threads AND the pulley's interference/press fit. This is a pretty damn good recipe for galled and/or stripped threads. On my old Camaro, I watched a "mechanic" pull my new UD pulley on the crank with a bolt and an impact gun. Years later when I removed it, I pulled it and ran a thread chaser through the crank threads and it came out with all sorts of metal shavings. Thankfully there was enough left to hold the new bolt/pulley, but I made damn sure to use the correct tool to install it from then on.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

If you would pull your head out of your *** and read the thread instead coming in and making smart *** comments you would see that I already said I'm doing it the right way this time.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

ANYWAYS. got the new bolt, helicoil kit, install tool and now im looking for 21/32's drill bit and one other thing that worries me is if the cutting bit is going to be long enuf. I am pretty sure its not going to be. So i need like a socket with two square 1/2 ends or something.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like you're on the way to getting this done. Remember: Lube that bitch! Keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Paul, I didn't realize that you are an o-fficial moderator!
Where have I been?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ANYWAYS. got the new bolt, helicoil kit, install tool and now im looking for 21/32's drill bit and one other thing that worries me is if the cutting bit is going to be long enuf. I am pretty sure its not going to be. So i need like a socket with two square 1/2 ends or something.
Not sure it work but try using the female side of a socket extension, depending on the tap size either 3/8" or 1/2". Not sure it will fit, but its just a thought.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Glen, I kinda feel like a hall monitor at a Firebird convention.

I only have super powers in the Firebird section.

Quick Reply: EDIT: FINALY GOT IT! (stripped my fuc****crank threads all the way) installing pulley