Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDIT: FINALY GOT IT! (stripped my fuc****crank threads all the way) installing pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
If you make the bitch (crank pulley hub) glow it will damage the crank seal...

( if it glows its way much hotter than 200°F )
The engine gets up to 200* everytime you go for a drive. I'm sure the seal is made to handle high heat. I guess getting it red hot might not be the best idea so how hot can I get it without doing damage to the crank seal?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Correct the Auto Zone tool dose NOT work for a LS Motors, Let me know if I can help you out. As mentioned before.
It will work but you have to be 10% smarter than the tool....

Take the 16 X 2.0 adapter & go to the hardware store & get a piece of all thread that fits in the end of the adapter & a nut & you have a install tool.

Use the bearing in the install kit & it will go right on,no heat required.

I put mine on & it went on like butter.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

^^^^this

I bought a piece of allthread 16x2.0 mm, a couple nuts and a bunch of washers. Screw the allthread in by hand, install washers and nut, and it should slide right on.

I welded a nut on the end to be able to use a wrench to screw it in the crank, but didn't need it. Worked great. Good luck
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was in same exact position about a year and a half ago. I tapped the snout of the crankshaft and it was much easier then I though it would be. Took me about 30-45 mins. It has never once come loose or caused any problems in since I installed it 20k miles ago
Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

#1... you are going to screw it up more if you get it red hot
#2.... it doesnt just slide on by hand when you do heat it up.....its an old school trick to get a stubborn crank pulley started...but it still has to be pulled on with a tool...
#3.... with the luck you are not having... please go get some all thread or order some from http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=iyunnl
the part you want is 99055A140 and cut it down to what you need...
you can get a 300mm piece.. but its smarter to get something longer and just cut it down
you can get washers and nuts from here too by the way...
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

used the autozone tool and it went on EASY this time. I installed the damn thing with a 3/8 ratchet! Didn't even have to use heat lol. I'm so damn releaved this thing is finished. My torque wrench only went goes to 150 ftlbs. So I torqued it there and than got one more good turn on it. So I would think I am pretty damn close to 200ft lbs. (My machinest told me to not torque on the helicoil threads over 200ft lbs) Than I took bolt out torqued new bolt to 37ft lbs and went an aditional 120 degrees. Put belt on and turned it around everything lines up and spins dead perfect.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Good job OP, glad you got it figured out

Originally Posted by crainholio
Um...how about the guy who posted this thread?
read dude, the OP said multiple times he didnt thread it in far enough. first one ive ever seen and OP claimed fault, but thanks for tryin
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
#1... you are going to screw it up more if you get it red hot
#2.... it doesnt just slide on by hand when you do heat it up.....its an old school trick to get a stubborn crank pulley started...but it still has to be pulled on with a tool...
#1 you're right if you get it red hot itll **** **** up. you only need to heat it with a propane torch for a less then a minute. just the hub. light smoke coming off if it.

#2. Wrong. The last 3 times i have installed my crank pulley I have heated the hub and the crank pulley slides on easy a **** and deadheads on the crank. You have to slide it on quick, the crank pulls heat out of the pulley extremely fast. I have never ever ever ever ever had a front seal problem doing this. Is it wrong to do? not for me, ill do it every time i put on my pulley.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
read dude, the OP said multiple times he didnt thread it in far enough. first one ive ever seen and OP claimed fault, but thanks for tryin
Before assuming the OP is The World's Leading Expert on crank thread depth, consider the part where he said:

...every last single thread is stripped and almost no threads left.
So if he didn't thread it in far enough, how did the threads get balled all the way in?

If anything, it's likely he bottomed the long bolt out completely and kept turning.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
Before assuming the OP is The World's Leading Expert on crank thread depth, consider the part where he said:

So if he didn't thread it in far enough, how did the threads get balled all the way in?

If anything, it's likely he bottomed the long bolt out completely and kept turning.
Try reading. I said I didn't know when I pulled it on I stripped the first few threads wich in turn stripped the threads on the bolt. So when I turned the bolt in it stripped all the way down. They werent as bad as I thought after blowing up some pics I took, but I wouldn't have tried to repair them. Got it helicoiled and got it running tonight. Drove around and let it run for a good 30-45 mins to put it through some heat cycles. Going to change the oil again tommarow. God dang it sounds so gooood! I couldn't beleive how good it ran. It sat there and idled at 600rpm right when I started it. Drove it around awhile real easy on it and it ran perfect. It only died on my once when I turned around in the middle of a road going back and forth. Very happy with it. Got a guy locally that street tunes all the fast ls cars around here. I think I will wait tell monday though. I would like to drive it around more and make sure no leaks or anything arise. I ran it for a long time in the same spot tonight checking and checking for leaks. Looks like everything is on there good. Valvetrain is also quiet. I'll upload soem vids of it running in a bit
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
...got it running tonight.
Great!

Now catch up on some cruising time!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Great!

Now catch up on some cruising time!
Yea I'm ready to go get it tuned so I can beat on it a little bit.

Quick Reply: EDIT: FINALY GOT IT! (stripped my fuc****crank threads all the way) installing pulley