Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDIT: FINALY GOT IT! (stripped my fuc****crank threads all the way) installing pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright guys I got it drilled out. Time to make the new threads. I went and talked to a well known machinest in town and he recomended I only used one of the helicoils so that is what I will do. He also recomended with the helicoil to torque to 200ft lbs instead of 250.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Btw I already put the timing cover on with the silicone. Can I change the cranshaft seal with the timing cover on the car? I mean I know I CAN do it, but is that method ok?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
Find me someone who stripped threads using the longer bolt?
Um...how about the guy who posted this thread?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just pull the timing cover and throw a little sealant on it. What's another 10 min to do it the right way if you already have the crank pulley off.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

I went ahead and changed it out already yesturday. That took 5 mins maybe. Than I got on my helioil **** it and went to pull it on with the PULLEy install TOOL and stripped the threads in the helicoil LMAO. Than I had to take the helioil out (wich is not at all easy) and now I just went and barrowed a tap and di for the m16x2 threads on the pulley install tool and I'm going to redue my helicoil and try all over again here in a little bit. Problem with this install tool is that it won't go far enuf in. I even had to cut it and still doesn't go in deep enuf to ketch on the helicoil threads all the way in. Tonight I'm going to cut it for the last time and make sure it threads in all the way to the helicoil and see if I can't finish this ******* project once and for all. If the helicoil attempt fails again I will have to just tap for a bigger bolt.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Btw talking about tapping for a bigger bolt... What size would I want to tap for? 3/4" bolt probably?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Btw I already put the timing cover on with the silicone. Can I change the cranshaft seal with the timing cover on the car? I mean I know I CAN do it, but is that method ok?
actually, there is a Front cover Seal install tool made for just that...

you are actually supposed to use the tool to put the seal in, and the cover has to be loose anyways to align it properly with the pulley
there is also a front cover alignment tool that you are supposed to use....

use all the right tools the first time, and you wont have to do it a second time
Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

I aligned it already with the stock seal so the new one should be good to go. Does anybody know what will be the next size to tap the threads to if this next helicoil does not hold? (crossing my fingers)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't strip the threads if you are using the proper tool. If anything it will pull the helicoil out which if installed right in nearly impossible. What pulley install tool are you using?????
Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Read above it stripped this time because pulley tool is not long enuf. It is saposed to be the "proper tool", but I have less threads with the helicoil and this puller is not long enuf. So I am having to cut it to make it work. Unless I am using it wrong wich I don't see how I could be. It is the install tool from autozone

It lookse exactly like this one in the pic below... The threaded peice you see on the bottom hits the crank and won't let the bolt go through it all the way into the threads so I am going to have to cut the threaded peice so I am not pusshing against myself on the crank like last time.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If the install tool you are using isn't catching all the threads, then it isn't the right tool.

You need a tool like a guy on here was selling...I don't know if he still makes them or not. Hell, I have one sitting in my tool box that clearly won't be seeing the crank of an LS1 anytime soon.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

It would work but the helicoil does not have the same amount of threads that used to be there so you have to go further in to get to the threads. I'm going to try cutting it so it will thread all the way in and if it doesn't work I'll have to find a new tool. I'm not risking it not going all the way in again. Whatever the f**** is used will thread all the way or it won't be used. Before I even try to putt the pulley on this time I'm going to use my propane torch and make the bitch glow and hopefully it will slide on and I won't have to worry about pulling it on as much.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If the install tool you are using isn't catching all the threads, then it isn't the right tool.

You need a tool like a guy on here was selling...I don't know if he still makes them or not. Hell, I have one sitting in my tool box that clearly won't be seeing the crank of an LS1 anytime soon.
Correct the Auto Zone tool dose NOT work for a LS Motors, Let me know if I can help you out. As mentioned before.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

It worked for those who could get part of there balancer on. It apears it won't work if you just barely get it on. here is a thread where a bunch used it and it worked fine and than those who couldn't get the pulley on enuf it would not work, but if you just cut the threads on the tool I don't see what would make it any different from any other tool (as long as it threads in all the way). 618hawk please post of a pic of you install tool and than I think I would like to go ahead and buy it. Can you do overnight shipping on it if I pay that?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...utozone-2.html
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Helicoil almost always has less threads than a stock, threaded hole.
For this reason, I wouldn't trust a Helicoil for anything more than 80-100 ft-lbs.
I would rather try an up-sized bolt in a re-threaded crank.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

618 hawk I googled your tool get with me as soon as you can I would like to buy it.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

I dont even think the autozone tool has the right thread/pitch
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Yes they have 16x2 wich is what I used
Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Drill and tap the crank. Do not trust a helicoil in this application. There is an unbelievable amount of force, that is trying to pull a balancer off the crank, at high rpms. Helicoils have there place, but not on a balancer bolt. You probably won't be able to torque the fastener to its required value, because of the helicoil. Drill and tap it. It's easy. I've done it, because I had to. I tried this method of using a crank bolt to pull on a balancer, over 20 years ago. I didn't know any better. Take the advice of those here: Use the correct tools.
There have been a few threads talking about this very subject. People argue that using a crank bolt Is acceptable. Ok. Until this happens. Now what?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
It would work but the helicoil does not have the same amount of threads that used to be there so you have to go further in to get to the threads. I'm going to try cutting it so it will thread all the way in and if it doesn't work I'll have to find a new tool. I'm not risking it not going all the way in again. Whatever the f**** is used will thread all the way or it won't be used. Before I even try to putt the pulley on this time I'm going to use my propane torch and make the bitch glow and hopefully it will slide on and I won't have to worry about pulling it on as much.
If you make the bitch (crank pulley hub) glow it will damage the crank seal...

( if it glows its way much hotter than 200°F )

Quick Reply: EDIT: FINALY GOT IT! (stripped my fuc****crank threads all the way) installing pulley