Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High oil pressure causes CEL

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Default High oil pressure causes CEL

I've been having some oddball instrument cluster behavior. Once in a while the various gauge needles will flutter, regardless of engine load. A couple of times in the last few weeks if I would get into the throttle too hard I'd notice the check engine light coming on out of the corner of my eye, and it would go out when the engine load dropped. But when I watched it, none of the needles indicated an issue.

This morning on a cold start, it did the same thing, except I could see that the oil pressure needle was very high, probably near 70psi. The oil is Redline 10W40, filter is a K&N, pump is a Katech. I don't recall when I last changed the oil, although it's safe to say it's been at least 6 months. Dipstick shows oil at top of hash mark.

If it's just a cluster issue, any way to resolve it? Else I guess I need to stick a manual oil pressure gauge on it to see if the cluster is correct? Any other ideas?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think the pcm reads oil pressure.....
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I guess I'll start by replacing the oil pressure sender. If that's not it then I guess I have to replace yet another Katech oil pump. Here's a video I took of the oil pressure gauge fluttering recently:

Last edited by JimMueller; 09-16-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say yet another katech pump ? Did the first one fail? Hook up a manual guage and check it out as well. Mayby try tsp oil pump.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why did you use 10w40 instead of 10w30???
Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Oil flutter can also be an indication of bearing issues.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

There ended up being more to the story. The CEL was randomly coming on at WOT and over random street bumps or speed bumps. The tach & speedo would also bounce in unison sometimes. A couple of bad grounds were found and I'm hoping that takes care of it.

Re: Katech: I don't want to get into the details, I just don't feel they handled the situation I went through appropriately.

Re: Redline 10W40: What have you read about which makes you think there's something wrong with this oil? Bobistheoilguy.com is a well respected site, I suggest searching for reviews of it there.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Check your grounds, wiring, plugs, etc. I'd also change the OPSU.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
There ended up being more to the story. The CEL was randomly coming on at WOT and over random street bumps or speed bumps. The tach & speedo would also bounce in unison sometimes. A couple of bad grounds were found and I'm hoping that takes care of it.

Re: Katech: I don't want to get into the details, I just don't feel they handled the situation I went through appropriately.

Re: Redline 10W40: What have you read about which makes you think there's something wrong with this oil? Bobistheoilguy.com is a well respected site, I suggest searching for reviews of it there.
If you would like to email me your situation I would be happy to review it and see if there is something we could have handled differently to make sure that you are satisfied. jason@Katechengines.com
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Jason: That was over two years ago. The time to have earned my repeat business was then, not now, sorry.

OK, so I've been using the wrong term. When I said CEL, I meant the check gauges light. It was found that the previous exciter wire repair incurred a terminal which was too small for the wire gauge, so they only put some of the strands in the terminal and cut/bent the remainder away. So far the check gauge light and the bouncing needles haven't returned, but the oil pressure still seems a little unstable so I'll be replacing the OPSU sometime soon.

Quick Reply: High oil pressure causes CEL