Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 RIP? Lifter stuck in bore....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 RIP? Lifter stuck in bore....

Well to my surprise the carnage to my LS1 is not near as bad as i originally thought. I was expecting a cracked piston or something like that but the only thing that is wrong is #3 intake lifter looks like it got stuck somehow & took out the lobe on the cam.

My original issue was no compression in that cylinder, a nasty tick, low oil pressure & oil in that cylinder.

I'm assuming the intake valve was slighty open = no compression, the tick is obviously the lifter & cam not happy with each other anymore, low oil pressure is probably the lifter letting the oil pressure out??? but whats up with the oil in that cylinder? btw it all happened at the sametime.

My main question is, how do i get the lifter out without causing more damage, I haven't removed the cam yet either.
Let's say i get it out and the lifter bore is galled or scuffed up etc. is this LS1 block done? or can I get the lifter bore lined or an insert be put in?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

I would pull the motor and take it to a machine shop. Let them sleeve the lifter bore.
I would get a estimate to see what would be the best cost effective solution.
Pretty sure they will have to disassemble the shortblock to bore the lifter bore.
Good luck.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

eewwww, i knew you would say that..... dang I'm on the fence cuz I was expecting this engine to have something major wrong with it so i was already working on a new engine idea so i don't want to put any money into this aluminum block that I can't do anything with....... aka bore it and put a stout bottom end in it.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem in cylinder 1 I pulled out with pliers sanded bore and ran it.... No problems
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

I've tried a pair of badass vise grips and it just laughed at me.......
Old 11-05-2012, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Friend of mine had this problem.. Had to tear it down and beat out the Lifter.

Ironblock ftw.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, what cam and lifters were you running?

Sorry to hear about the bad news.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely just the roller end is flared. If it pushes down to the cam lobe it should be able to go all the way. just yank the cam and pull it out that way. If you have linkbars, cut the top of the lifter off...after blocking all holes etc.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to avoid this happening again... Get the lifter bore fixed. The labor is t that expensive if you pull the motor yourself. Take out the cam and use a long pen magnet to retrieve the lifter from bottom. Lifter is definately flaired out it has happened to me a few times. It would be a good idea to have the block cleaned and bearings inspected for damage as well. Metal fragments in the oil galleys = sandpaper on your bearings and not good for oil pump as well. You are looking at around $1200 or so including new parts and machine shop labor if you pull and reinstall motor yourself.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

I was running the Speed inc SI6 cam, stock roller lifters, trick flow pushrods, HS roller rockers, .650 springs - was flawless for 3 years of dragracing.....alot of dragracing lol

Yeah i do all my own work, I'm working on a new engine build so not sure if i'll even waste my time/money with the LS1
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

maybe you guys can help me decide what to do.

the biggest issue i've got now is making the decision...... I truely thought it was something more major (bottom end damage) than what it was so i'm already trying to put together a stout race engine (AES 390ci, 6.0L block, LS3 stuff, E85 conversion & Vortech YSI) but as well all know that just doesn't happen overnight. so i'm lost on what to do.

Option 1 - pull the LS1, fix just the lifter bore issue and put same parts back in but obviously buy new cam & parts to fix it to go back to running 10.40's lets estimate at $500 or more

Option 2 - pull the LS1, tear it apart to fix the lifter bore issue and while i've got it all apart put a good 346 bottom end in it and go that route & put more N20 to it and have fun for a few more years but that estimate of $3000 that i'd put towards my next bullet, not to mention the weak none machinable cylinders.......

Option 3 - pull the LS1, bag it & put away, continue with the 390 idea & sell off parts of my LS1 (heads, intake etc) to help generate extra $ to help the new bullet & YSI idea... estimate = big money lol

Last edited by Ksths2; 11-07-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am guessing the last one is suppose to be option 3? I would go that route. If a am spending money I want something stronger and better than what I had before.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Launching!

That^ and it is about winter so its a good time. Or how much money do you feel like spending...
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

whoops my bad, yes Option 3.

I agree, I can't imagine putting the same stuff back in or buying a bunch of stuff and not know if its good enough, option 3 you would know it would be the best route.

That is the other thing i forgot to mention, I'm doing an LS swap into a 54 Ford (long story) this winter so no matter what I wont be doing any engine stuff to the Vette, so racing is out for next year but I can save all year long this way so I hope 2014 season...... watch out
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Launching!

That sounds like a good plan. Might as well just save up and go bigger and better. Take your time and it will all be worth waiting for.

Quick Reply: LS1 RIP? Lifter stuck in bore....