Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine back from machine shop, some concern...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea that makes sense bc I remember reading a magazine article where they couldn't figure out why they couldn't degree an lsx cam in, and it was because on an lsx cylinder #1 intake valve isn't in the same position as sbc intake valve position...
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Nichols
He stopped by last night to tear it down and show me why he moved it one tooth over. Installing the cam "dot to dot" then measures at 126degrees instead of the 110 that its supposed to be at when installed and degreed to the crank. Moving the cam gear one tooth over set the cam to roughly 109/110 degrees with the crank, which is what the cam is labeled and measured at.

Besides physical proof showing tdc and the cams degree during revolution, what makes it wrong besides a dot to dot being incorrect? Ive spoken with texas speed and hes speaking with them today as well to see what the issue could be.
What is at 126 degrees?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Yea that makes sense bc I remember reading a magazine article where they couldn't figure out why they couldn't degree an lsx cam in, and it was because on an lsx cylinder #1 intake valve isn't in the same position as sbc intake valve position...
What magazine was that?

Comp Cams has a great article on degreeing cams in. It's not that difficult. If you degree in SBC you can degree in a SBF, or Hemi, or an LSx. It's all the same.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the posts guys. I called him back to recheck his work, we also called texas speed while he was there. All the info they could give was that they use comp cam products and it "didnt sound right". I wouldve preferred a much more in depth reason but, oh well i guess. He remeasured the engine timing again and stood there a bit baffled then said, "im pretty sure its right". That alone showed me that he wasnt 100% sure of his work. Before he left, i also made him reinstall the main caps correct. *smacks forhead* I also reset the time to dot to dot and rolled it over a few times to insure it was ok. Ill likely fire it up tonight.

Last edited by Tony Nichols; 12-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you ever consider what I said about not using studs with a block bored with bolts?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Torquing down fasteners distorts the block, studs and bolts distort the block differently because a bolt has a twisting pull to it where a stud's pull is more linear. Due to this the best way to treat an engine is to do all machining with the type of fastener it will use in service. The factory machined it for bolts, I would only use bolts unless the block is bored/honed oversized with torque plates and studs.

Used to be a time when torque plates were a special "race" sort of treatment but they are standard production use on engines for a long time now, torquing a plate over the bore allows the metal to be distorted as it would be when the head is bolted on.

If you used new pistons and had it bored .005 over with the studs and torque plates, great.
If this guy reused stock pistons no boring and went along with changing from bolts to studs without making you aware it is just more evidence that he should stick to 1970s stuff.

To be clear though this would be a quality of workman ship issue, it wont blowup the engine or anything, the ring seal would just not be as good as it could have been.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
If it was a non-GM cam or timing set I could believe that it's that far off, but not with OEM parts.
I can't imagine a cam could be that far off if it was a regrind from Tunusia.
I hope the OP put it D to D.....
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...tons of mis-leading information in here....

Can't degree an LS cam, Can't use stud, OEM parts are perfect....
Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

who said you "can't" use studs?

I explained why it is not ideal to swap fastener types without remachining, if you have some technical explanation to refute that then by all means enlighten us.

If torquing fasteners didn't affect the block then things like torque plates would not be used and we could use ARP rodbolts without resizing rods etc.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
who said you "can't" use studs?

I explained why it is not ideal to swap fastener types without remachining, if you have some technical explanation to refute that then by all means enlighten us.

If torquing fasteners didn't affect the block then things like torque plates would not be used and we could use ARP rodbolts without resizing rods etc.
I agree You need to re-size rods and mains because the clamping force is increased and reduced concericity causing decreased bearing clearance.

Take a look at an LSx deck tho. 1st look how far away the bolt holes are from the cylinder, 2nd look and see that the holes are seperated from the cylinder wall by a water jacket. Not saying they won't distort, but doesn look like a high probabilty. Because I dont have proof, some research on the net, will confirm alot of people would agree an Aluminum LS block would not be affected by a torque plate. My question is directed back as to prove your supporting evidence.

EDIT: Also keep in mind, the torque is different from using ARP bolts vs OEM TTY....Nobody had reported a problem from my search and TONS have switched over.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 12-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one important piece of data missing here... is what installed intake centerline are you asking him to put your LS6 cam in at?

It could very well need a tooth skip on the cam gear. If the degree wheel and dial indicator were used properly...it doesn't lie or make assumptions.
GM cams have strange centerlines and wide splits compared to Comp cams.
I will say though if I were using a stock GM LS6 cam however, I would just stick it in dot to dot and call it a day. I wouldn't even have degreed it
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

I literally brought him the block, new rods, crank, reused the pistons, new rings, honed, cleaned the block, brand new cam, brand new valves, brand new springs, new crank pulley, new crank bolt, new lifters, new gaskets all around, and all the specs for everything either in their original packages or from GM directly. I paid him to do the head work and assemble just the shortblock. His measuring and assembly was based on him being an engine builder, as i am not, i dont do it for a living and dont have the machinery.

As far as the stud kit goes, i called ARP, Texas Speed, a couple of the local machine shops, and a local speed shop, they all said that theres nothing wrong with installing studs and that theyre just hand tightened then the heads are torqued on top. I used a digital ac delco and snap torque wrench to assemble the rest of the engine.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Still, please tell us you put the cam alignment back to dot to dot?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Already posted
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM
FormerVendor

Pre-lube those rockers and pushrods, that looks assembled bone dry. Did you soak the lifters in oil?
I'm not even going to go there with main caps backwards, cam degreeing, etc..
Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a friendly reminder...Dot to dot occurs when #6 is at TDC firing. In effect, the firing order is 6,5,4,3,1,8,7,2.
There is no need to advance the cam.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quick Carl
Pre-lube those rockers and pushrods, that looks assembled bone dry. Did you soak the lifters in oil?
I'm not even going to go there with main caps backwards, cam degreeing, etc..
I haven't been inside one of these yet but now that you say it the pic of the rear cap in post 24 doesn't look right. Is that what you saw?

OP is is really starting to look like it will be a big gamble to run this.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

It's already been ran..
Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never browse this site any more... Alas.. Subscribed to see if it fires up!

Quick Reply: Engine back from machine shop, some concern...