Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

six of sixteen rockers breaking after h/c swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012 | 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Brian, do you recommend lash caps even with roller rockers?
Old 12-11-2012 | 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tainted
Brian, do you recommend lash caps even with roller rockers?
The only applications that I would use a lashcaps on are the applications that cam with them originally, like the intake side of the LS7 and LS9. If you simply attempt to install a lashcap on top of a standard valve with stock rockers then your geometry would be way out of whack. The LS9 valve intake valve is shorter in overall length, so once you install the lashcap it checks the same as stock length. Those valves also have the lock groove moved down to accommodate the shorter length.

You could shim up the rockers (except LS7) to attempt to correct the geometry issue that you've created with the lashcap, but you would have to check the rocker contact patch at rest and peak lift and make sure they're still somewhat centered on the lashcap. Because once you try to use a lashcap, and shim the rocker, then the sweep will go towards the exhaust side of the head, as the rocker and valve tip are now closer together, if that makes sense.
Old 12-11-2012 | 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gotchya thats good to know. I wont have any need for the lash caps then but I remember the thread tony mamo made a while back.
Old 12-11-2012 | 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2000PewterT/A
Yes, the trunnion upgrade does not change the rocker, all it does it replace the center needle bearings in the rocker with a trunnion bearing. Eliminating the needle bearings provides a more stable platform for the rocker to rotate on and plus you don't have to worry about those little needle bearings getting in your engine if one was to fail.
The comp upgrade doesn't eliminate the needle bearings. It simply a different design that keeps them captured.

I noticed on stock rockers, they only tilt so much. The comp allows a full 360 rotation.

I would think if there was coil bind, the push rods would be bent too? I would also think stock rockers have a max lift due to their travel limitation.
Old 12-11-2012 | 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks brian makes alot more sense to me now. I should have known better. I knew something looked funny when i put spring over valve seal hat style. Is there a roller rocker with same 1.6 ratio or will it need to be 1.7?

Last edited by stangkiller2005; 12-11-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2012 | 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
The comp upgrade doesn't eliminate the needle bearings. It simply a different design that keeps them captured.

I noticed on stock rockers, they only tilt so much. The comp allows a full 360 rotation.

I would think if there was coil bind, the push rods would be bent too? I would also think stock rockers have a max lift due to their travel limitation.
The comp upgrade would atleast help until i can afford roller rockers. Im looking to fix this on the weekend. Ill check pushrods if there bent, ill get pushrod checker, press the new comps into my rickers, and pull the .030 shim of each valve.
Old 01-23-2013 | 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

So i did the trunion upgrade and got car running. After car warms up she has harder time to find idle. A couple times she blew out the valve cover gaskets from internal backfire. I pulled covers and noticed i had piston 7 intake rocker off. Appears rocker bolt broke in half. I still need to pull all rockers.and pedistal. Hopefully i can get old bolt out. My question is.do.you.think a.missing rocker.would.of.caused.those symptoms? Internal.backfire?

Quick Reply: six of sixteen rockers breaking after h/c swap