Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase H/C/I... Any thoughts before decision is made

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Looks great. I have often thought about if there is a better cam out there for my setup.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
James you're assembling a very potent little set up. I think you're going to be very surprised at the results.
Thanks man! Once re-assembly starts, I'm sure I'll be blowing you up. Thanks a lot for all your help even as of now.

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Looks great. I have often thought about if there is a better cam out there for my setup.
I appreciate it man. I'm sure Martin could hook you up in a heart beat.

The heads are off, lifters are out, now its time to scrape some gasket material and chase some bolt holes. I'm in no hurry, still waiting for some things to arrive. So I'm taking my time and actually enjoying how things are going. It's nice not to be rushed.

I posted the flow data. I had to edit out some personal info on the scanned sheet just in case your wondering why it looks so sketchy..lol
Attached Thumbnails About to purchase H/C/I... Any thoughts before decision is made-flow-data.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Man the acceleration those heads have between .200" and .400" is very impressive. Should make some great numbers.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is No 1 and No 2 on that chart the flow numbers for each after/before? There's a big difference between the two.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Intake and Exhaust. TEA exhaust numbers have always been high. Not saying that's bad, but you have to take them with a grain of salt. Actually, that's pretty much any flow bench data.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by maxpower_454
Is No 1 and No 2 on that chart the flow numbers for each after/before? There's a big difference between the two.
No.1 Is the Intake side and No.2 Is the Exhaust.

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Intake and Exhaust. TEA exhaust numbers have always been high. Not saying that's bad, but you have to take them with a grain of salt. Actually, that's pretty much any flow bench data.
I'll agree that they should all be looked at the same. I didn't put that up to brag. I can tell you though, they flow a hell of a lot better than the heads I just took off.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Figured I would also update the part status by mentioning I picked up a ported FAST 92 and a 95mm PTM Throttle body . (Porting was done by TSP, and the TB has been ported to match the intake) I think this setup will compliment the heads nicely.

The engine has been torn down as far as it needs to be. It's time for it to start going back together once the parts arrive. Everything is on it's way! I figured the tear down would have taken longer, I took my sweet *** time on it all. Maybe that's why it came apart so easy. (I even have all of the deck surfaces clean.) I'm going to wait to install anything until all of the goodies are here. Now it's time to relax and enjoy Sunday night Football and cold beer for the rest of the evening.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Is the FAST port matched to the heads? Did you send a template to TSP? I know a few places I've talked to (Mamo and Peak) both would like a mock up of the heads on the block with the ports outlined. That allows them to set the FAST down on it and port match to the heads. I think I saw on a thread on here for a guy who did that with a Victor intake and he used brown grocery bags.

Tooley recommended using the heads if you bought through him, but I figure he'd do the same if you already had the heads, since it's a pretty standard practice.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Is the FAST port matched to the heads? Did you send a template to TSP? I know a few places I've talked to (Mamo and Peak) both would like a mock up of the heads on the block with the ports outlined. That allows them to set the FAST down on it and port match to the heads. I think I saw on a thread on here for a guy who did that with a Victor intake and he used brown grocery bags.

Tooley recommended using the heads if you bought through him, but I figure he'd do the same if you already had the heads, since it's a pretty standard practice.
No the intake was not matched to the heads. (I could have that done I guess, not to worried about it though) The only "matching" was the 95mm TB matched to the 92mm intake. The intake is ported though. Its not port matched to any other heads, its just a usual port job.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I think I'm going to run the 102 unported and then port match to the heads and see if there is any difference. I figure maybe 3-5HP unless the ports are waaaay off.

I very much doubt there is much to be found porting the runners. Would be nice to see though. You'd think a shop would do a true A vs B comparisons to try and sell a lot of their product. But they don't, so my guess is it's not worth much or else the results would demonstrate the value...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

I think I'm going to run the 102 unported and then port match to the heads and see if there is any difference. I figure maybe 3-5HP unless the ports are waaaay off.

I very much doubt there is much to be found porting the runners. Would be nice to see though. You'd think a shop would do a true A vs B comparisons to try and sell a lot of their product. But they don't, so my guess is it's not worth much or else the results would demonstrate the value...
If you're that curious, that is the way to do it. I would port match the lower to the heads at the beginning rather than installing, uninstalling,porting,re-installing, etc you know the drill. I guess if you're curious about the results it will yield, then doing it the way you mentioned is the way to go. I could see a realistic 3-5, as I don't think the ports are that off, unless you install it with the ports not centered.

I think the runners are designed well from the get go also, but porting if done correctly is never a bad thing. I like how the 92 inlet was opened up to match the 95mm throttlebody.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, I don't know if I'd actually do it. If I were tuning it myself and had access to a dynojet down the street or something, I might consider doing a couple of A-B comparisons. I'd probably make a lot of enemies for calling out folks for how their products don't perform as advertised.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribed! Cant wait to see what kind of power she puts down.

Out of curiousity is the TEA 799 has 15* or 13* valve angle? I believe you can get away with more intake duration with 13* valve angle.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by raysadude
Subscribed! Cant wait to see what kind of power she puts down.

Out of curiousity is the TEA 799 has 15* or 13* valve angle? I believe you can get away with more intake duration with 13* valve angle.
Thanks man! I cant wait to see either.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe they're 13.5 degree valve angle.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Hulk Smash

15 degree - still a stock GM casting.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

15 degree - still a stock GM casting.
This is correct, they are still a 15* valve angle.

I will hopefully be able to see what kind of gains Advanced Inductions port work is worth on a Fast intake as I have another customer that is doing a very similar set-up to one I did before aside from the ported Fast. It won't be an A to B direct comparison, but it should give a rough idea of what the gains would be like.

If testing other products versus one another didn't cost as much as it does to do it, you guys would see a lot more direct comparisons done. It is very expensive and time consuming, but it is really cool when it is done and done correctly.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Like I said don't quote me on it.. If you wanted to hear it from the horses mouth then call TEA.

The TEA Stage II LS6 heads are very similiar to TFS 215's. The TFS have a 13.5 degree valve angle. If you go to the link below and read the description for the TEA heads, the description states: "Designed using the same 2.04 and 1.57 valves and valve job technology developed and used in the TrickFlow 215cc head this head has awesome mid-lift airflow."

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr...s2ls6-stage-2/

With that being said, if you really needed to know you could always call TEA. I'm not that worried about it. If you do find out, post it.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
This is correct, they are still a 15* valve angle.

I will hopefully be able to see what kind of gains Advanced Inductions port work is worth on a Fast intake as I have another customer that is doing a very similar set-up to one I did before aside from the ported Fast. It won't be an A to B direct comparison, but it should give a rough idea of what the gains would be like.

If testing other products versus one another didn't cost as much as it does to do it, you guys would see a lot more direct comparisons done. It is very expensive and time consuming, but it is really cool when it is done and done correctly.
Lol, thats why I dont give out direct information unless I know for certain otherwise..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Hulk Smash

It's the same valve job and similar port work. You can't change the angle of how the valve sits in the head. That's how it's cast.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
Lol, thats why I dont give out direct information unless I know for certain otherwise..
It's ok James!

You actually can change the valve angle of the heads, but it would take A TON of work.

Quick Reply: About to purchase H/C/I... Any thoughts before decision is made