Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuing H/C install Saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Continuing H/C install Saga

Well, I finally got the right heads from Pace on Monday. I have not put them on yet, I had to order lifter retainers because mine looked pretty worn. So now I am waiting on those. In the meantime I have installed the cam, Timing Chain set, oil pump, March pully/damper, and cleaned out the bolt holes in the block!

I am changing the gear this week, and plan on putting in a torque converter this weekend. Any of you ever done a torque converter install on a garage floor! It is difficult or does it just look that way? I bought an adapter for my hydraulic floor jack in order to hold the transmission in place, so that should help!

Hopefully I can get the heads on and finish by next week!

Last edited by Deeavi; 04-14-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an adapter for my floor jack when I did my converter but the damn adapter was too tall and I couldn't use it. I ended up doing the balancing act on the jack and it ended up not being too bad. I would honestly consider the converter/TransGo kit to be a worse job than the H/C I finished a little over a month ago.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell me you didnt go with only a 2500 stall vert? Its pretty difficult doing an TC install without a lift but can be done...just remember one of the bolt holes will be smaller than the other two and you really should drill out the flywheel before you put the tranny back on...just easier that way...id never heard of anyone having issue with the retainers though someone else may chime in on that...glad to hear you finally got the right ones...that didnt take too long at least.

Have fun
Bill
Old 04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
STF Veteran

Not a converter, but I did a clutch in my old LT1, same difference I guess. I just used an adapter on the jack to lower the tranny out. I did use some cargo straps to ensure the tranny didn't roll of the jack as I did this without a helper. Not too bad really. It does help to have a helper to line the tranny back up though. Definately get the car up as high as safely possible for clearance.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Windy City
I bought an adapter for my floor jack when I did my converter but the damn adapter was too tall and I couldn't use it. I ended up doing the balancing act on the jack and it ended up not being too bad. I would honestly consider the converter/TransGo kit to be a worse job than the H/C I finished a little over a month ago.
I bought one of the pan shaped adapters from Summit that just replaces your regular fixture/cup!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
tell me you didnt go with only a 2500 stall vert? Its pretty difficult doing an TC install without a lift but can be done...just remember one of the bolt holes will be smaller than the other two and you really should drill out the flywheel before you put the tranny back on...just easier that way...id never heard of anyone having issue with the retainers though someone else may chime in on that...glad to hear you finally got the right ones...that didnt take too long at least.

Have fun
Bill
The guys at Lunati and TCI told me that the 2500 stall was the best way to go for a daily driver. TCI told me it would flash at 2700 rpm with my combo. That is about what I wanted. This car will not be a drag car, just an occasional trip to the track with the local car club
Old 04-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who wants to bet after a little while with that baby converter he steps up to somethign that will get the car down the track
Old 04-14-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The guys at Lunati and TCI told me that the 2500 stall was the best way to go for a daily driver.
Daily driver here and I wouldn't suggest anything tighter than a 3500. I have a Yank ST3800 and love it but I'm even considering a TP4400.

Obviously you want performance since you're doing a H/C swap but your performance will suffer without a decent stall. My opinion, a 2500 stall is too small for a 224/112 cam.

Last edited by Windy City; 04-14-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeavi
The guys at Lunati and TCI told me that the 2500 stall was the best way to go for a daily driver. TCI told me it would flash at 2700 rpm with my combo. That is about what I wanted. This car will not be a drag car, just an occasional trip to the track with the local car club
lets just hope you make some tq down low. I made peak tq with my 231/237 cam @ 5000rpms and made less tq than semi stock everywhere below 3500...after that it woke up and had tons of power.

lata
Bill
Old 04-14-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, if it doesn't work, I will be the first to say I was wrong and you were right.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, if it doesn't work, I will be the first to say I was wrong and you were right.
i think you'll be fine with that verter if you are willing to give up a couple tenths in the quarter for better street manners.i just did the pp stg 2 5.7 with a tr220@114 cam and although i have a midwest 3000 waiting to go in,i might get it restalled to 2600. my car is not as soggy down low as i thought it would be with the stock stall.mine is a daily driver also and only take it to the track once a month or so.i think you are going to like that cam,i almost went with a 224,but decided to give up 10rwhp or so for a little more streetable cam
Old 04-15-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, Thanks! All I am looking for is the car will idle good without creeping and the drivability. I drive alot in trafic and I don't want alot of slippage. I enjoy driving/cruising! I don't really care that Joe Blow's car is a couple or so tenths faster than my car in the quarter! I have been there done that. I have been involved with drag racing much of my life and if I want to race I will buid a race car.

Take care and I hope that new verter works for you as well!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, Thanks! All I am looking for is the car will idle good without creeping and the drivability. I drive alot in trafic and I don't want alot of slippage. I enjoy driving/cruising! I don't really care that Joe Blow's car is a couple or so tenths faster than my car in the quarter! I have been there done that. I have been involved with drag racing much of my life and if I want to race I will buid a race car.

Take care and I hope that new verter works for you as well!
thanks.i'm a little too old for a car that drove like my old chevelle,lumpy cam,high stall,etc.i've put about 50 miles on my car since the install,and so far i'm real happy with how it runs.stock verter and stock tuning.i'm getting it tuned in a week,and i'm betting it will be hard to tell there's a cam in it after that.i also have 3.73's,so that helps a little bit out of the hole.i'm thinking a 2600 stall will be a good compromise.i drive a lot in traffic too,and before i picked my cam i watched where my rpm's were the majority of the time and i was suprised to see it was around 2000 or so.that's why i went with the smaller cam.good luck on the install.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool! My car currently has a PP3 tune, but I am hoping to get the HP Tuners software before to long and tune it my self. It might take me awhile to learn how to program the pcm, but I am determined to do it! I hope I don't have to pay someone else to tune it. Those tunes are expensive, as I am sure you know!

Let me know how yours does with the tune.