Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what oil pump and timing chain should i run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Phoenix, I'm not familiar with the JP set. If I was to go with a double roller though, Cloyes it would be.

Jake, hopefully they'll be back in stock before too long. It's a hell of a deal for the price.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ls2 chain and high pressure ls6 in my 370..
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Rollmaster (which is now owned by JP) makes a hell of a double roller for the price. Heat treated on both crank and cam sprocket, pre-stretched JWIS chain, and torrington bearing. Most vendors have it for $130-140. I think the PN is 1160.

Double rollers are pretty much overkill, though. And unless you buy an oil pump designed for them or are willing to grind away at the pump and possibly front cover, a single is all you need. SLP has the custom Melling pump that clears and Synergy has a ported LS6 that's been clearanced to clear (don't know much else about it tho). That's all I know of.

With that said, I've ordered the SLP Pump and JP Double Roller kit.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to make sure i got this right, slp oil pump has enough clearance for the jp double roller
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

save your money. A stock LS6 pump and stock LS2 chain are good enough for 95% of the cars on this board.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by farmington
save your money. A stock LS6 pump and stock LS2 chain are good enough for 95% of the cars on this board.
thats pretty much what i thought. do i just buy the ls2 chain or the complete set with crank and cam gear?

id really like the billet set with the bearing. seems like good insurance.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Super Hulk Smash

You aren't saving much money tho. The reason a lot of LS2 chains have a lot of slack is they could use new GM sprockets as well, especially if you have a lot of miles on them.

TSP sells the sprockets and LS2 chain for $110. Just a new GMPP LS6 pump is 105ish.

So $215 for stock parts vs $256 for a higher volume Melling pump clearanced for use with a double chain and a double roller with adjustable billet gears and torrington bearing. Not sure saving $40 is that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things especially if you want to have more security than the stock GM parts afford?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Ls2 timing set and melling oil pump
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The JP Performance Billet Gear set (Double) is only 89.00 and a LS2 timing chain is right around $45.00, so it's really not that much more expensive. Does having the JP Performance Billet Gear Set (Double) make it easier to degree the cam? Is it adjustable?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Yep, adjustable. That plus the Torrington make it worth the upgrade cost.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Yep, adjustable. That plus the Torrington make it worth the upgrade cost.
Thanks for all your help JakeFusion; not just with this thread thread, but with the thread I started as well. I'm sold on this timing set. Will be ordering it ASAP.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Hulk Smash

NP dude. Hope it comes together well.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Restricted User

so there is confirmation that the JP double billet set will clear the oil pump without modifications?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by daturbosix
so there is confirmation that the JP double billet set will clear the oil pump without modifications?
Only with the SLP.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Only with the SLP.
What adjustable timing set would you recommend if you're keeping the stock oil pump?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I know Predator-Z is a big fan of the Cloyes Hex-A-Just or however you spell it.... That's what he recommended to me when I was all hell bent on my cam install being PERFECT.

I opted for the LS2HD chain w/ billet gears (adjustable crank keyway) from Yank though. Apparently they're still out of stock though....
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing I have learned from my years of modifying cars, is the closest to stock you can run something while meeting the requirements you have is the best option 100% of the time. I run an LS2 timing chain and LS6 oil pump, and would NOT run the aftermarket options even if they cost less. GM designs their parts to last much longer than most aftermarket companies, and since most of us here are building street cars that occasionally are tracked, but do many WOT pulls, etc. it just makes sense to build it for longevity. I have seen time and time again, the double roller timing chains fail (whether the chain snaps or the gears break) for whatever reason, and aftermarket oil pumps fail and take out entire motors because of it - not worth the risk IMO. Regardless, good luck with your build.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1T56FTW
The main thing I have learned from my years of modifying cars, is the closest to stock you can run something while meeting the requirements you have is the best option 100% of the time. I run an LS2 timing chain and LS6 oil pump, and would NOT run the aftermarket options even if they cost less. GM designs their parts to last much longer than most aftermarket companies, and since most of us here are building street cars that occasionally are tracked, but do many WOT pulls, etc. it just makes sense to build it for longevity. I have seen time and time again, the double roller timing chains fail (whether the chain snaps or the gears break) for whatever reason, and aftermarket oil pumps fail and take out entire motors because of it - not worth the risk IMO. Regardless, good luck with your build.
So in your opinion, I would be ok with just a LS2 timing chain? My car only has 46,000 miles on her, so I'm not going to change out the oil pump.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
So in your opinion, I would be ok with just a LS2 timing chain? My car only has 46,000 miles on her, so I'm not going to change out the oil pump.
The LS2 timing chain is the chain I run in my setup and same with the chain all the locals run - have never heard of a failure. One of the things a lot of people don't think is a problem which actually causes a cyclic load on the timing chain is if you have a tight LSA cam and a low idle speed - the motor speeds up and slows down frequently and actually stresses the timing chain significantly during that period. One way to battle that is to raise idle speed, but then you lose the lope. With that said, I am not worried one bit about mine snapping and I am still at 800RPM idle speed. My buddy runs one with his T-Rex setup and even spins his motor to 7300 RPM and his is doing just fine as well.

Also, on topic for the oil pump. It is not the fact that the oil pump will be 'bad/broken' at a low mileage, its the fact that they don't flow enough in the high(er) RPMs. Oil starvation is the best way to destroy any lubricated piece of machinery, specifically in this application: a motor. With the higher RPMs you will be spinning to, you want more oil to flow at those higher levels. Definitely NOT a place I would cheap out on; added insurance IMO. Think of it this way, if you blow your motor due to poor lubrication, wouldn't you have rather spent the ~100 bucks now than the few thousand you will have to down the road, as well as all the extra work to fix it?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1T56FTW
The LS2 timing chain is the chain I run in my setup and same with the chain all the locals run - have never heard of a failure. One of the things a lot of people don't think is a problem which actually causes a cyclic load on the timing chain is if you have a tight LSA cam and a low idle speed - the motor speeds up and slows down frequently and actually stresses the timing chain significantly during that period. One way to battle that is to raise idle speed, but then you lose the lope. With that said, I am not worried one bit about mine snapping and I am still at 800RPM idle speed. My buddy runs one with his T-Rex setup and even spins his motor to 7300 RPM and his is doing just fine as well.

Also, on topic for the oil pump. It is not the fact that the oil pump will be 'bad/broken' at a low mileage, its the fact that they don't flow enough in the high(er) RPMs. Oil starvation is the best way to destroy any lubricated piece of machinery, specifically in this application: a motor. With the higher RPMs you will be spinning to, you want more oil to flow at those higher levels. Definitely NOT a place I would cheap out on; added insurance IMO. Think of it this way, if you blow your motor due to poor lubrication, wouldn't you have rather spent the ~100 bucks now than the few thousand you will have to down the road, as well as all the extra work to fix it?

I guess I'll just get the LS2 timing chain then and be done with it. Great point regarding the oil pump. With that said, what oil pump would you recommend for me? My setup is nothing drastic; AFR heads, 22*/23* 111 LSA cam and 11:1 compression.

Quick Reply: what oil pump and timing chain should i run?