Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wonder why everyone uses YT Rockers? Why not Crane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Default I wonder why everyone uses YT Rockers? Why not Crane?

I just see a lot of folks using YT with aftermarket castings and wonder why that became popular over the Cranes?

Crane is still in business as far as I can tell and are the same price as YT... and have a much better track record (at least in the SBC/SBF world).

Just curious? I'll be doing stockers with the Comp Trunion upgrade, but I've thought about adding the Crane's to the mix...
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comp makes nice rockers too. My .600 lift cam and stock rockers wore out my 241 valve guides. I shopped for roller tip 1.7's and YT was the first brand I came across for a good price. Thats just my story, not sure how YT got so popular in the first place though.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Ive always wondered too why nobody uses the Crane or Comp golds? The Comp ultra golds seem popular in the LT motors with no issues.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

This kinda thing happens a lot in everything that can be modified or improved.

Some guy with a decent reputation gets something, claims it's the next best thing since sliced bread for that particular application, then many others follow.

I've seen YT rocker fail posts on here several times, costing people their engines.

Comp and Crane make good ****, but people want to be different and ultimately get an inferior product, with NOWHERE NEAR the R&D time and reputation of something else.

The other scenario is that people want to modify and improve their set-up, but want to spend as little as possible doing it. There's a reason why usually, the better product is more expensive.

It's true that sometimes you're just paying for the brand, but when that brand has a good reputation, can you fault them for it?

If you look at a product and one has had no failures, or very few (nothing is perfect), but costs $100 more than another that has had more than average reported issues, would you really risk the whole motor over $100 or $200?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Super Hulk Smash

The early Comp Pro-Magnum stuff didn't have a good reputation back in the first part of the 2000s in the LS world, but then they came out with the Ultra Golds (to copy Crane I guess). Crane had always had a stellar reputation even in the LS world up until TFS heads became popular than HS and YT were the choice du jour. Doesn't make sense to me?

Crane makes amazing stuff. Their lifters are one example that no one uses in the LS world. But it's beastly. Jegs and Summit sell plenty of Crane though. I just wonder if because they aren't available through any other channels if they get lost on a board full of sponsors selling other products?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Do these other brands fit under the stock valve covers?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Do these other brands fit under the stock valve covers?
Crane's instructions say that you'll probably have to grind a little on the inside of the early(non center bolt) covers. They have a diagram showing where to grind. They don't say anything about problems with later covers.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And if clearancing valve covers is an issue, you shouldnt be swapping rocker arms and measuring for PR length...
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
9 Second Club

I wonder why nobody uses the comp ones too. I have had mine for 6 years with no problems!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Most of the aftermarket castings now include raised provisions for the valve covers to make room for roller rockers. So that's almost a non-issue on the heads that really could use the rockers... But I agree, if grinding is too hard, then setting up the valvetrain properly is probably beyond your skill level and an LS shop should be helping you out.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My understanding is Crane will releasing new rockers, not sure if that is what the question in based on or if you are referring to their "quick-lift" rockers. I ran the Crane quick lift in both 1.8 and 1.7 ratios. I now run the Yella Terra. The YT's have lower inertia, are easier to adjust for a correct wipe pattern, and can actually obtain a narrow wipe pattern. My current wipe width with YT's is 0.045" and centered on the valve stem. The best with the Cranes was 1/3 the width of the valve stem. They will be much worse on bronze guides than the Yella Terra's will be.

Other issues are that the Cranes were stud mounted requiring you deal with studs, guide plates and adjustments. Yella Terra's, once the height is correctly set, are bolt in. Guide plates don't allow for stiffer pushrods although Crane did eventually go to a 3/8 pushrod setup with their rockers, but many heads won't accept them without machining. I run a dual taper and those can't be used with guide plates.

Overall, IMO, the YT's are a good rocker that is much simpler to set up and will provide much longer life of the bronze guides than the Cranes. I won't run the Crane quick lifts again but would look closely at their new design once it comes out.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

I think part of the reason is some of the better companies that have three letters in their name have something to do with it.

You see what some of the really knowledable people on here use and others follow suit.

You could probably include me in that statement. I had a set of H/S rockers then started reading about they were heavy over the nose and caused valve float. I went back to stock rockers with the trunion upgrade.

IMO if Comp or Crane's products were used more on big builds they would be more popular. Just my .02
Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
My understanding is Crane will releasing new rockers, not sure if that is what the question in based on or if you are referring to their "quick-lift" rockers. I ran the Crane quick lift in both 1.8 and 1.7 ratios. I now run the Yella Terra. The YT's have lower inertia, are easier to adjust for a correct wipe pattern, and can actually obtain a narrow wipe pattern. My current wipe width with YT's is 0.045" and centered on the valve stem. The best with the Cranes was 1/3 the width of the valve stem. They will be much worse on bronze guides than the Yella Terra's will be.

Other issues are that the Cranes were stud mounted requiring you deal with studs, guide plates and adjustments. Yella Terra's, once the height is correctly set, are bolt in. Guide plates don't allow for stiffer pushrods although Crane did eventually go to a 3/8 pushrod setup with their rockers, but many heads won't accept them without machining. I run a dual taper and those can't be used with guide plates.

Overall, IMO, the YT's are a good rocker that is much simpler to set up and will provide much longer life of the bronze guides than the Cranes. I won't run the Crane quick lifts again but would look closely at their new design once it comes out.
I have heard "great" results from spintron tests about the new Crane LS rockers they will be released soon, and they will be a true bolt on a go deal and competitively priced too.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I just see a lot of folks using YT with aftermarket castings and wonder why that became popular over the Cranes?

Crane is still in business as far as I can tell and are the same price as YT... and have a much better track record (at least in the SBC/SBF world).

Just curious? I'll be doing stockers with the Comp Trunion upgrade, but I've thought about adding the Crane's to the mix...
It's a price and install process thing imo. Great rockers when used in the right application and setup correctly.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 206 Posts

is there a release date for the new rockers?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
is there a release date for the new rockers?
Not yet. By spring.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I prefer stock rockers.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I prefer stock rockers.
Yep, they are very hard to beat. Trunion upgrade and they are pretty bullet proof.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JPH
Yep, they are very hard to beat. Trunion upgrade and they are pretty bullet proof.
And lighter.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JPH
It's a price and install process thing imo. Great rockers when used in the right application and setup correctly.
At PRI Show this year I heard they (Crane) have run over 1000 drag passes to 7400 rpm with a .420" lobe HR cam on the new rocker with their valve train setup. They said that although the stock rocker is hard to beat for the street guys the benefit of the new rocker is it goes beyond what a stock rocker is capable of which is .750" lift, roller rocker tip for the bronze guide heads, wider bearing and all while fitting under a stock type cover.

Quick Reply: I wonder why everyone uses YT Rockers? Why not Crane?