Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use Same Main & C-Rod Bolts on rebuilt eninge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use Same Main & C-Rod Bolts on rebuilt eninge?

Hi, heres me story, i have a 99 SS and put in a Iron 6.0, swaped out lq4 pistons for ls2s..., i sent the ls2 pistons/conecting rods & lq4 Crankshaft to get balanced.... Iv heard over and over and im not looking for opions or lessons.... That you should always use New GM Main & Rod Bolts as well as Head Bolts, either way i used the same Main Bolts and C-Rod bolts as well as head bolts for my 243s, i know bolts Stretch and i guess weaken BUT i wanna hear from someone that has Done the same as I using same exact bolts to rebuild enigine and how it ran after break in period and heavy usage or high revvin...

FYI i used Plastic Guage to verify GM Torque specs were correct and efficient for Oil Lubrication on crankshaft mains and rods i also Torqued w/ a SnapOn digital Torque Wrench to be exact i will be running 0-20W oil for the first 5,000miles if motor runs correctly and then changing to 5-30W every 3k miles or so

I want Honest Facts of people who have done the same and whete they stand rite Now

Thank You!!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Main and rod bolts are ok to reuse, I've done it several times. However I have not and will not reuse the headbolts. I've seen a couple break when the were reused.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
Main and rod bolts are ok to reuse, I've done it several times. However I have not and will not reuse the headbolts. I've seen a couple break when the were reused.
Thanks for the input KCS, i appreciate it
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCS
Agreed
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I re-used main and rod bolts about 20k miles ago, in my 00. Makes 411/392 and gets beat from time to time.. Also, daily driven. I wouldnt re-use the head bolts though.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Ok cool thanks for all the Input... I will be doing CAM Swap probabley 10K miles after build and mildly porting 243s, head bolts should withstand by then since they torqued wel when i put em on w/o breaking, i am running 11:1 CR on ls2 pistons and 243s
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing to this for more replies. These are all torque to yield bolts, which is why they are suppose to be replaced. I had no idea people were getting away with reusing them. I was going to replace all the bolts in the bottom end of the LQ4 I have laying around because I have no idea if they've ever been broken loose. I can't even find stock rod bolts for sale anywhere.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Mains and rod bolts are ok to use. Never re use the head bolts. They are TTY. Make sure to chase and blow out all of your threads and use a dab of arp bolt lube on the threads and BOTH sides of any washer. This will give you proper torque readings.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t_raven
I can't even find stock rod bolts for sale anywhere.
Try this...good enough for the Z06
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=11610158
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

To each their own...I won't reuse rod bolts. I see that folks get along without replacement, but, for me, there's too much going on at a critical juncture, not to replace them. For $2.60 apiece, they're easily affordable.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even for the Z06 would u trust the rod bolts to 7k...for a total of $42? If so i'm in for those bolts, but maybe ARP or Katech are supirior for piece of mind. I want a bottom end that i KNOW will stay together at 7k+.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by t_raven
Subscribing to this for more replies. These are all torque to yield bolts, which is why they are suppose to be replaced. I had no idea people were getting away with reusing them. I was going to replace all the bolts in the bottom end of the LQ4 I have laying around because I have no idea if they've ever been broken loose. I can't even find stock rod bolts for sale anywhere.
They're not actually a TTY fastener like the head bolts are, but they do tighten to a specified angle which gets them confused for a TTY. A TTY fastener is disposable because when it it torqued, it goes to or beyond its yield point and cannot return to its original shape, so they're junk. The main and rod bolts however, do not go to yield and will return to its original shape to be torqued again and again.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
Even for the Z06 would u trust the rod bolts to 7k...for a total of $42? If so i'm in for those bolts, but maybe ARP or Katech are supirior for piece of mind. I want a bottom end that i KNOW will stay together at 7k+.
You said it best.
At 7k, I'd go for the ARPs, or Katechs.
I have a mid-cam that makes power way up there, but I don't spin it much past 6500.
The OP didn't specify his RPM.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I reuse mains all the time. Manual states to only replace if damaged. Im sure you can measure the stock rod bolt stretch and if not yielded and within spec then they can be reused. With that said. I like arp main studs, arp rod bolts and arp head studs. I have not tried reusing a stock tty head bolt. Once you break a bolt in a head or rip threads out of a head and have to get the bolt out or time cert you will do everything in your power to not repeat the process on "your own time".

TTY bolts suck even with a techwrench

Quick Reply: Anybody use Same Main & C-Rod Bolts on rebuilt eninge?