Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you gain with hollow stem valves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How much do you gain with hollow stem valves?

I see that there are a few people that used the hollow stem valves on their heads including "Chris1313". I don't know if they are all using the LS3 valves. Anyone know what kind of gains they are getting? I have tfs235s. Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are pretty heavy valves in those heads, you can pick up maybe 10 or so hp..?

The biggest thing you gain is valvetrain stability and peace of mind.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

The valves themselves probably won't make you any more power unless you're having trouble controlling your valvetrain already. They will however allow you to run a more aggressive lobe or turn more RPM, either of which can make you more power.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
Those are pretty heavy valves in those heads, you can pick up maybe 10 or so hp..?

The biggest thing you gain is valvetrain stability and peace of mind.
Explain how heavier valves would gain anything. Or did I read ur post wrong?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
The valves themselves probably won't make you any more power unless you're having trouble controlling your valvetrain already. They will however allow you to run a more aggressive lobe or turn more RPM, either of which can make you more power.
This is correct.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was thinking that Chris said that he had gained some in GM Hightech magazine. His car is an over achiever, much quicker than the parts would suggest.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mypoorLS1
Explain how heavier valves would gain anything. Or did I read ur post wrong?
With lighter valves (if his valvetrain is already having trouble with the heavy solid valve) he could free up some power. Also lighter is better, it would be more stable and like was said, he could get different cam lobes and pick up some more power.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

depends on the valvetrain package. If they do gain you much it would be an indication things were out of control before.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lighter valves require a different level of spring control.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
With lighter valves (if his valvetrain is already having trouble with the heavy solid valve) he could free up some power. Also lighter is better, it would be more stable and like was said, he could get different cam lobes and pick up some more power.
See. I didn't read everything right. I thought you were saying that the LS3 valves were heavy and he'd gain from that. You were saying the TFS valves were heavy. My bad
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I was considering the tfs 235s from TEA I believe they said a turned down LS3 (hollow stem) valve was 83/84 grams whereas the solid stem from trickflow was over 110
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Launching!

A lighter valve will not add any power by itself, It could possibly help the engine to rev a slight bit higher if the springs are not up to par. If the valve springs are in good shape and properly matched with the cam, the difference in the valves should never be a factor.

Turning down the stem will lighten the valve, but it is also done to increase flow.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wouldn't saving grams of weight on each valve allow the motor to rev quicker and be more stable? Isn't weight savings a good thing to have in a valve train? Or a crank or any other light weight part in the engine? I would think so, or am i incorrect?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Saving weight in most engine parts is always a plus and never a bad thing, I don't think that you would ever see an engine rev quicker because the valves are a few grams lighter. A couple of things to keep in mind. The valves in a LS engine are not that heavy to begin with, many engines use much heavier valves and run good. Secondly the valve weight will never be a factor on how quickly the engine will rev under a load.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboMonte100
If the valve springs are in good shape and properly matched with the cam, the difference in the valves should never be a factor.
I would have to disagree. The valvetrain should be considered in its entirety in order to get it to work correctly and efficiently. The valvesprings shouldn't be matched to the cam, it needs to be matched to the entire system. When you get into the more aggressive lobes and RPM ranges, you will definitely see the difference 30-40g does when taken away from or added to the valve side of the rocker arm.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Technically, a lighter valve could allow you to use a lighter (pressure) spring which would free up some horsepower that would normally be lost to friction. that would be the only way you could gain from a lighter valve.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I would have to disagree. The valvetrain should be considered in its entirety in order to get it to work correctly and efficiently. The valvesprings shouldn't be matched to the cam, it needs to be matched to the entire system. When you get into the more aggressive lobes and RPM ranges, you will definitely see the difference 30-40g does when taken away from or added to the valve side of the rocker arm.
Yes. The average person would not think it would make that much difference, but it does. Even a properly setup heavy solid stem valvetrain would gain from a lighter valve.

For reference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=019Jyn9oB5k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can easily see, even with the dual valve spring, the valve is bouncing off it's seat when it closes. A lighter valve can help combat that.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
My post was short in an effort to keep my explaination simple, and I was trying to keep it relative to the OP's question and following replys. Yes the valve train is considered in its entirety, and using all light componets never hurts. Yes valve springs have ALWAYS been matched to the cam, the cam pretty much set the baseline for the usable rpm range of the engine.

In a all out racing engine where one is trying to get every last HP and rpm from an engine, for sure run the lightest componets that you can safely get away with, for the guy wanting to hop up his street car or mild street/strip car, sourcing out light weight valves should not be on the top of the list.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TurboMonte100
My post was short in an effort to keep my explaination simple, and I was trying to keep it relative to the OP's question and following replys. Yes the valve train is considered in its entirety, and using all light componets never hurts. Yes valve springs have ALWAYS been matched to the cam, the cam pretty much set the baseline for the usable rpm range of the engine.

In a all out racing engine where one is trying to get every last HP and rpm from an engine, for sure run the lightest componets that you can safely get away with, for the guy wanting to hop up his street car or mild street/strip car, sourcing out light weight valves should not be on the top of the list.
I dunno man LIL SS is hoping to pick up 10hp on his street car switching out solid stem valves for turned down ls3 valves. Granted you can clearly see the valve float on his dyno graph. But either way he should have more power, higher revs, and a smoother powerband to me thats worth it!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Launching!

If a guy is running around on the street with a street car and they are floating the valves. Two things come to mind, the valve springs are not up to the job and the engine will be short lived.

Quick Reply: How much do you gain with hollow stem valves?