On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this thread there are some videos and photos also
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-porting.html
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IRNMADN
When the lump is taken out. Does it expose a hole? Some of the pics look like it left a hole in there. Im about to do some 706s. I was referred from my thread over here. I had already watched your vids. Im not even sure where to start. Also have no clue on some of the terms. Swirl ramp.... I plan to run the LS1 intake valve. Should I have that work done before or after I port/polish? And I am planning on 4.8 flat top pistons in my 5.3L. Should I mill the heads for even more of a compression bump? It will be a NA build with a nice cam.
Sorry for the slow response, its been crazy around here.

The answer is yes. When you remove the rocker stud lump it will expose the hole which the rocker stud will fill. Some say to put RTV on the threads to help seal them. I did not on my last set for my truck just to test it out. It ran fine with no smoke but I never got a chance to see if it got messy in there before it was stolen.

Swirl ramp is that thing that looks like a ramp when you take the intake valve our and look into the port. My videos show the ramp and its removal.
Here is the whole playlist with the videos in order:

Here is the swirl ramp video:

Also, I don't recommend porting the 706's. 706's are the same as 862's which are great, but the 706's where known for cracking. I had to learn that the hard way. They can be welded up and repaired, but that costs more money.

You have the valves installed after you done porting. They'll do the valve job at that time.

I just put 4.8 pistons into my 5.3 for my '87 Chevy truck last weekend. I plan to mill my 862 heads .030" to give me a total of 10.5:1 compression. So yes I agree with milling the heads as long as you have good PTV (piston to valve) clearance. If you're running a large cam, that may be an issue. I'm only running a 220r. Its lift is about 581 and I dont think i'll have a PTV issue.

I hope that answered your questions. let me know if not.

Quick Reply: DIY LS1 Head Porting at home can Help