Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally pulling the trigger on parts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013 | 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Btw, Summit said I shouldn't run that Radiator. So I returned it via UPS Friday. They haven't asked yet what I want to do: exchange or refund.

I think I'm going to do neither and put the cost of that radiator toward a BeCool drop in replacement... It is a 2.5" thick dual core all aluminum deal. It comes with the 15PSI BeCool cap and BeCool coolant as well and a $25 rebate. If I can get them to pricematch, I'm going to do it.

That way, when I go with more power down the line, I'll be good to go.
Smart move.
Old 07-29-2013 | 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Sweet build!

Subbed for later
Old 07-29-2013 | 05:02 PM
FormerVendor

Yup.

That's why I like your Polluter v2. The LSL lobe is fast with a lot of curtain area on the intake with XE lobes on the exhaust to help... it also helps it has a ton of overlap everywhere.

That's actually why I was considering Tooley's 235/242 cam over yours. The exhaust lobe doesn't make it magical. It just makes more power at the degradation of drivability.

The EPS profile I have has a fast seat to seat intake and exhaust lobe profile (similar to XE-R) but with an endurance profile, so the lifter doesn't slam back down when it comes over the nose of the lobe. It's more like your SNS Stage 3 in that it doesn't have additional overlap at .006", but has even less overlap at .200" and uses a milder lobe. So, I'm hoping I can still make power with it without blowing up my valvetrain or killing drivability toooo much. That's where the last 5HP might be found on my cam when compared to a cam with an LSL/XE lobe profile or LSL/LXL. And I think a lot of people will agree; the valve events of the old "G5X3" are probably the best trade off for violent power and decent street manners in a 346.

The LXL lobe is a great exhaust lobe because it has similar seat-to-seat duration and slow closing ramp of XE, but with a lot more curtain area and lift. I like that you use it on a lot of your shelf cams.
I have tried many lobe combinations for N/A applications and I find myself always coming back to LSL/LSL, LSL/LXL and LSL/ERPM for max power and valve train stability.
Old 07-29-2013 | 05:57 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Btw, sold the Morels... they sold quick. Had three people interested in less than two days.

I wanted to maximize stability even further... So I have Tony Mamo sending me a set of the Johnson .058" short travel link-bar lifters with axle oiling. I'm hoping to spin the 234/242 with a 108 ICL to 7400 with these.

Btw, Martin, I'm going to try out the new EPS cam and see how it does. But the valvetrain is now such that I could run whatever you want to throw at it. I'd just need to upgrade the valvesprings from the PAC-1904s...

I might even consider going to the YT Ultralites with the right spring and a double-tapered 3/8"-5/16" pushrod if I can get it to fit...
Old 07-30-2013 | 04:41 PM
FormerVendor

Btw, sold the Morels... they sold quick. Had three people interested in less than two days.

I wanted to maximize stability even further... So I have Tony Mamo sending me a set of the Johnson .058" short travel link-bar lifters with axle oiling. I'm hoping to spin the 234/242 with a 108 ICL to 7400 with these.

Btw, Martin, I'm going to try out the new EPS cam and see how it does. But the valvetrain is now such that I could run whatever you want to throw at it. I'd just need to upgrade the valvesprings from the PAC-1904s...

I might even consider going to the YT Ultralites with the right spring and a double-tapered 3/8"-5/16" pushrod if I can get it to fit...
You want to be the guinea pig for the new extreme line of Tick Performance cams?

For springs, PAC 1209 shimmed to 1.78" FTW......that is if you go with the YT's...hope they can handle that kind of spring pressure...might be time to look into some Jesel's or T&D's.

I bet your wife loves you...like really...really...loves you.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 07-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2013 | 06:03 PM
Super Hulk Smash

She hates my guts. She thinks of a car like a toaster.

Btw she had an old Civic forever. It took me a long time to convince her to buy a vehicle I could fit in.

Extreme line? That on Bullet lobes?
Old 07-30-2013 | 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Good call on the lifters Jake, the Johnsons are a fine piece and their customer service is second to none. Check yours for burrs prior to install though - I ended up having to take some #1000 grit to break the edges of the "ears" that shroud the roller wheel along with the immediate area surrounding the roller shaft holes. Seemed to improve the action immensely.
Old 07-30-2013 | 08:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I have been impressed with Randy's service.

With Morel, the best bet is to go to Chris Straub.

And 510lbs open... How would the PRC EHT set work?

Not as much seat pressure without shimming... but:

Closed Spring Pressure: 148lbs @ 1.810"
Open Spring Pressure: 450 lb. @ .600" lift
Open Spring Pressure: 490 lb. @ .675" lift
Old 07-30-2013 | 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Possible cam switch again?
Old 07-31-2013 | 07:54 AM
Super Hulk Smash

No, going to stay with the EPS cam.

Can't sell the other one I have, so it's this one for now.

But when the motor lets go, I'll probably swap springs, goto a new cam, and see what else I can do. Maybe a 408, maybe a forged 347 + F1 procharger. Who knows. Need to get this one together and enjoy it tho.

Waiting on the new lifters (today), new cam (tomorrow?), and the baseline tune on the PCM (day after?). lol
Old 07-31-2013 | 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

She hates my guts. She thinks of a car like a toaster.

Btw she had an old Civic forever. It took me a long time to convince her to buy a vehicle I could fit in.

Extreme line? That on Bullet lobes?
There is no line of extreme cams lol. It was just something meant to get the troops excited. For you it would have to be on Bullet Lobes. If I sent you a Comp Cam you'd probably hunt me down for the rest of my life.

PRC EHT would "work", but I don't feel it has enough seat pressure unless shimmed. It has a lot of spring rate though which is good because the seat pressure will rise quickly because of that once shimmed.

I use those springs on a customers 7800rpm 408 AFR 225cc engine with a mechanical roller cam and Comp Endure-X mechanical roller lifters. His are shimmed .045" for roughly 195/495 on both ends of the spectrum.
No, going to stay with the EPS cam.

Can't sell the other one I have, so it's this one for now.

But when the motor lets go, I'll probably swap springs, goto a new cam, and see what else I can do. Maybe a 408, maybe a forged 347 + F1 procharger. Who knows. Need to get this one together and enjoy it tho.

Waiting on the new lifters (today), new cam (tomorrow?), and the baseline tune on the PCM (day after?). lol
Peanut gallery says.....bring it to us for this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProCharger-HO-Intercooled-Supercharger-98-02-Camaro-Firebird-Trans-Am-LS1-V8-/110743387922?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c8d1ff12
Let us add a spal low profile 9" fan, a aster bracket, twin in tank fuel set-up(I really like the Squash Performance set-up as I have his 1600hp twin pump set-up for my car) and let us build the motor too while it's here. Oh and upgrade the P1SC to a F1C...

What say you Jakey Jake?
Old 07-31-2013 | 11:04 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I'll say this.

I'm only building this car once myself. After that, I'll let a shop do it.

Even though I have all the tools and **** now.
Old 07-31-2013 | 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get it built, exhale, enjoy it!

So when does the Ultra Mega Extreme cam line come out martin..?
Old 07-31-2013 | 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Get it built, exhale, enjoy it!

So when does the Ultra Mega Extreme cam line come out martin..?
Whenever I get a ultra mega extreme customer that wants to be my guinea pig! With consent of course...
Old 07-31-2013 | 05:08 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Looky looky what Mr. Mamo sent my way...

Old 07-31-2013 | 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Peanut gallery says.....bring it to us for this:
Procharger HO Intercooled supercharger 98 02 Camaro Firebird Trans Am LS1 V8 | eBay

Let us add a spal low profile 9" fan, a aster bracket, twin in tank fuel set-up(I really like the Squash Performance set-up as I have his 1600hp twin pump set-up for my car) and let us build the motor too while it's here. Oh and upgrade the P1SC to a F1C...

What say you Jakey Jake?
Mother of God Martin! Go big or go home!

It would be cool Jake!
Old 07-31-2013 | 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looky looky what Mr. Mamo sent my way...

Nice pieces!
Old 08-01-2013 | 04:18 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Okay, so I started playing around with stuff today, because the cam will be here tomorrow!

So, I took my MAP off my old intake and decided to install in the stock LS1 location on the back of the FAST 102 manifold. So, I used a 3/8" drill bit and drilled the hole. No problem.

The issue is now putting it back together. I didn't notice before, but it doesn't look like the top shell sits flush all the way around with the bottom shell. Is that a problem? I put some RTV back near the MAP location as FAST recommends, but pulled it apart to check that the top and bottom were sealing correctly (and that the RTV didn't ooze over into the interior of the manifold). All looks well. It just won't sit flush all the way around.

The other question was the bolts used for securing the top shell to the bottom. It says to use medium thread locker and torque down to 70-89in/lbs. Does anyone actually do that? It's plastic...
Old 08-01-2013 | 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Okay, so I started playing around with stuff today, because the cam will be here tomorrow!

So, I took my MAP off my old intake and decided to install in the stock LS1 location on the back of the FAST 102 manifold. So, I used a 3/8" drill bit and drilled the hole. No problem.

The issue is now putting it back together. I didn't notice before, but it doesn't look like the top shell sits flush all the way around with the bottom shell. Is that a problem? I put some RTV back near the MAP location as FAST recommends, but pulled it apart to check that the top and bottom were sealing correctly (and that the RTV didn't ooze over into the interior of the manifold). All looks well. It just won't sit flush all the way around.

The other question was the bolts used for securing the top shell to the bottom. It says to use medium thread locker and torque down to 70-89in/lbs. Does anyone actually do that? It's plastic...
That's exactly why you should do it. So that's a yes.
Old 08-01-2013 | 07:11 PM
Super Hulk Smash

It won't make a difference. I torqued them down. Still fits together like ***.

Quick Reply: Finally pulling the trigger on parts!