Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally pulling the trigger on parts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

great progress, pictures look really good.

you mentioned that you want a better way to measure valve relief depth. This setup shown here cost about $40 from Jegs. Even with aluminum block you can hold the base steady and get reliable measurements.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

As we discussed via text, yeah, it's a screw up. The biggest thing though is when it's all said and done is that you smooth everything out. Detonation deflection is key here.

Jake, again, in all seriousness, this as a whole is an amazing thread. Step by step picture book that can help a LOT of folks out in the future. Awesome thread, and I expect the next 5 pages to be the same as well!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
As we discussed via text, yeah, it's a screw up. The biggest thing though is when it's all said and done is that you smooth everything out. Detonation deflection is key here.

Jake, again, in all seriousness, this as a whole is an amazing thread. Step by step picture book that can help a LOT of folks out in the future. Awesome thread, and I expect the next 5 pages to be the same as well!
Agreed. Nice write up Jake.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

What I appreciate is that Jake doesn't just show when things are going great but shows when things go wrong or he makes a mistake. There's A LOT of people on here with ego's much larger than their @#@! that wouldn't show that.

Keep up the good work Jake.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jake,

What brand of torque wrench are you using?

Last edited by LilJayV10; 11-06-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Husky.

I have another one from Autozone. They both are calibrated the same. Both click on a bolt torqued to 18ft-lbs for example. So I think they're pretty close to being right.

And thanks for the words guys. We all screw up. I don't have any ego. I just fix it and keep going. That's what gearheading is all about. But yeah, usually it's when I try to go a little faster than I need to is when I mess up. Patience is not a virtue for me haha.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
great progress, pictures look really good.

you mentioned that you want a better way to measure valve relief depth. This setup shown here cost about $40 from Jegs. Even with aluminum block you can hold the base steady and get reliable measurements.

I'll try that. I have the LS specific Comp kit and it allows me to bolt the dial to any number of threads on the block. When you measure, do you just zero it out on the flat of the piston, then swing it to the base of the relief? Then there's your measurement?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Husky.

I have another one from Autozone. They both are calibrated the same. Both click on a bolt torqued to 18ft-lbs for example. So I think they're pretty close to being right.

And thanks for the words guys. We all screw up. I don't have any ego. I just fix it and keep going. That's what gearheading is all about. But yeah, usually it's when I try to go a little faster than I need to is when I mess up. Patience is not a virtue for me haha.
I question the accuracy of it. Is there anyone you know with a Snap on wrench or similar?

One of my best friends "no name" torque wrench was almost 40 ft lbs off from true torque.

We all have a good idea what "tight" or snug is on a bolt, rather it be 5/16 or 3/8, etc... with a certain ratchet.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

No, but I want to get a snap-on. It would be good to have as just about anything on the car requires a calibrated torque wrench. That's a good investment.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll try that. I have the LS specific Comp kit and it allows me to bolt the dial to any number of threads on the block. When you measure, do you just zero it out on the flat of the piston, then swing it to the base of the relief? Then there's your measurement?
yup
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Cool. I thought about doing that. I figured the depth mic might be more accurate, but who knows. These clearances/tolerances are so small, these tools could be off more than the actual difference lol.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I question the accuracy of it. Is there anyone you know with a Snap on wrench or similar?

One of my best friends "no name" torque wrench was almost 40 ft lbs off from true torque.
I have a torque wrench from harbor freight and had it calibrated/tested at work. To my surprise, it was very accurate being only a few tenths off.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Just a suggestion, but you may want to check the pickup to pan clearance. Usually when I have to move them for the spaced out oil pump, they'll be off. I do it by cleaning the pickup with acetone and covering it with tape. Then I put two pieces of clay in a cone shape on either end and opposite sides. Then I drop the pan on with the gasket and run a couple bolts in with a speeder bar and tighten it. Take it all off and measure the thickness of the clay. You want to shoot for 1/4"-3/8". Too much clearance and you can cause the oil level may get below the pickup in hard acceleration. Too little clearance, and enough oil won't be able to get into the pickup. Either scenario can be very, very bad.

Second, good idea with the button head bolts on the oil pump cover. I've seen some shops use the same button head bolts on the oil pump housing when bolting it onto the block. You may want to try that when you fit the front cover back on.

Without the dowels you can have a lot of play in the cylinder head on the deck. I've seen as much as .035 with the larger 11mm bolts installed and about .015" with the smaller 8mm. This could REALLY throw off your radial PTV if it is too far FUBAR'd.

Lastly, I wouldn't use the dial indicator to measure the valve relief depths. Rotating the base from the top of the piston where you zero'd it out to the bottom of the relief could cause some inconsistencies, especially if any of the dial indicator clamps are loose or it has a flex joint. I would prefer a deck bridge, like what you would use to measure how far the piston is in or out of the hole, or a depth mic like already suggested. Less chance of inaccuracies with those.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:44 AM
KCS

No, but I want to get a snap-on. It would be good to have as just about anything on the car requires a calibrated torque wrench. That's a good investment.
I have a spare digital Snap On torque wrench I'm selling. I just bought another one that will measure in degrees of rotation for the TTY/TTA bolts, like main caps, etc. I just paid $450 for my new one. I'll sell you the old one for less than half that.

Link

Old 11-07-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS

I have a spare digital Snap On torque wrench I'm selling. I just bought another one that will measure in degrees of rotation for the TTY/TTA bolts, like main caps, etc. I just paid $450 for my new one. I'll sell you the old one for less than half that.

Link
Good deal there..
Old 11-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Hulk Smash

That is a good deal. And thanks for the info on the pickup. I'll clay it and see.

KCS, one question. How do I get the dowels out of the head? Otherwise, looks like I'm grabbing my other stock head and disassembling to make sure all the cuts are good for the exhaust side w/dowels.

Because without the dowels it's bad. I just went out and tried to get the depth right on the three flycuts that were off. The tool is pretty much worn. It won't cut any deeper. But getting it to align in the flycut takes a lot of patience. Luckily, I've been able to get it to sit pretty much correctly.

Anyway, I threw my new heads on there and clayed them. They look okay. When I go to knock these down with sandpaper to clean them up, I'll make sure I try to open them up slightly as well to be safe. I'll try with the dowels after I get the flycuts deeper on the intake side. I'm sitting around .050" when I'm shooting for .080". It's just hazing the cut and sanding it for me. And there is still room until it hits the lock collar. I don't want to put much pressure on the drill, but even with some pressure and WOT, it isn't cutting.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get the damn reliefs deeper. I guess I could put sandpaper on there?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM
KCS

I'll use a punch and come in from the top, catch the edge of the dowel, and smack it with a mallet or hammer. Even a 1/4" or 3/8" extension should work in a pinch.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I tried a punch and couldn't find the lip. I'll try an extension.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I tried a punch and couldn't find the lip. I'll try an extension.
Are you trying to take to head dowels out? **Flame suit on**

I used needle nose pliers wrapped in electrical tape. That's me though.

I also didn't reinstall them when I put the new heads on. BUT, I had head studs.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:29 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
ADD: and some "Elbow Grease 2000"
LMAO!!

I actually didn't have any issues. It's an interference fit, so I just worked them out side by side. No issues.

Time for a PowerThirst!!! (Google it)

Quick Reply: Finally pulling the trigger on parts!