Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start.

Ok, I've had my 01Z for about a year now and I feel like I'm still at square 1.

My problem is, is I feel like the Z is ridiculously slow and I don't know where to start.

My original goal was 700-800whp (eventually) with a front mount single turbo. But it was going to be a super budget build and the car would be down for way too long imo.

so now I'm looking to stay happy with the car by throwing a nice head/cam/possible intake, then work on suspension, and once I get the money I'll continue and forge the internals drop the compression and get a turbo setup.

I was looking at Trick-Flo 215 kit (515hp) paired with a nice cam or use the one it comes with, something with a good midrange power. The car looks like it already has some flowmaster y-pipe exhaust so maybe that would flow decently with some nice long tubes?

I guess my big question is would the 215's be enough kick in the pants? what kind of numbers do people here typically see with these and a cam? do i need a LSX-R 102 or will my LS6 intake suffice?

I guess this topic has been run through countless times but with all the MILLIONS of options there are for these cars its ridiculous haha. I am also open to suggestions if you've got some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Launching!

ridiculously slow are your serious. From the factory these cars are far from that. With a good heads and cam package you will hit between 410-430 with your ls6 intake. If you go to a ported mamo fast 102 then you could hit 450-460. I just bought some advanced induction 226 ls6 heads. Im doing the same thing. Im just pieceing together slowly. I will get my cam and all the rest of parts next week. I hope to have installed by april . Trickflow makes very good heads.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Trick Flow heads and have a pair of 215 heads on the way, but they are not exactly budget priced. The best bang for the buck are Texas Speed ported 5.3 heads. The next step up are ported LS6 heads. If you do get the Trick Flow 215 heads, get a different cam like one of Tick Performance cams. With a LS6 intake or if you can find a cheap used FAST 90 or 92 intake, you should be mid-400's hp.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Ridiculously slow compared to what?? I see you had an 09 Cobalt SS that put down some nice numbers. If you're comparing a Cobalt that had more torque, and about the same hp as a near stock LS1 Z28, and weighed almost 700 pounds less, then I can see why you would think it would feel a bit slower. However, a stock LS1 is nowhere near being ridiculously slow.

Just so you know the trick flo 215 kit (515 hp) is rated at the flywheel. So that will make around 440-450 hp at the wheels. Like batboy said, the PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads are a great budget head. For a cam I would talk to Martin at Tick Performance. He knows what he is talking about!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just go with a kit from TSP. If your looking to go budget, that's really the best way to go IMO. Your ls6 intake will be more than fine for most combos, only place I really ever see the need for a fast Intake is on max effort builds. You will be really surprised what that car will run like by simply putting on a good heads cam combo.. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys, I know the car isnt slow but after having it a year it just doesnt feel fast for me. I am sort of comparing it to the cobalt but i understand the weight difference, I also got bored of that. haha. I have to be tinkering.

dont get me wrong i love my z, ive always had a soft spot for f-bodies. in highschool my mom had a 94z exact same color with a hard top but auto and some edelbrock heads from the previous owner.

so best heads would be trickflo's and a nice trickflo cam? (ive got my tax return and should be able to get them no problem) and some 42# injectors. will my stock pump be up for the task?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

If it was me I would start with bolts ons first. Headers, ported tb, underdrive pulley,nice cat back. Then go cam then heads. What is your currant budget for this season is what I would use to start planning around.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

i should have saved up about $8-10k by june this year when i get down to ft. worth texas area on my next orders. right now i have almost 10k but i havent moved down there yet.
I am looking to spend about 5k at the moment and keep 5k until i get down there. I figure 3200 on the heads and cam package from trickfo another 500 on injectors and 2k for a nice set of long tubes and exaust? i liked the kooks dual 3" but 1700 is a pretty penny (tsp had their dual 3" but theyre sold out til october i believe) then add some long tubes. im going to shop around for an exaust with an x pipe and 2.5" duals should be fine right? or maybe another company has a good dual 3"
Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

If I remember correctly, 2.5" duals is good for up to about 500 rwhp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. TSP makes amazing 1 7/8 stainless steel longtube headers with a velocity spike in the collector, and it's at a great price. Also, I believe I heard TSP still has their true duals in stock. Just give them a call.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like I'm going to try and get the tfs 215 kit/tsp 1 7/8 headers/tsp true dual rumbler exhaust (if its in stock, still waiting on the email) but will it clear my stock torque arm or will I have to buy an after market one? I really want to support a great company like tsp and get their full exhaust. then when I get the money I'll get a complete forged internal setup from them. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

do you still have your stock 10 bolt?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like u need to educate yourself on these cars a drop....
Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

I have a stock 10 bolt but i haven't payed attention to what's underneath as far as the rear end goes. It has some bilstein shocks, subframe connectors and strut tower brace (I know some camaros came stock with the bilstiens but I figured with mine being such a base model of z's that whoever had it before me put them in. So I never checked to see if anything was done to the rear end since I'm just learning about these suspensions so I wasn't sure when I saw the tsp note about chassis mounted torque arm. Sorry
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sick_tight
I have a stock 10 bolt but i haven't payed attention to what's underneath as far as the rear end goes. It has some bilstein shocks, subframe connectors and strut tower brace (I know some camaros came stock with the bilstiens but I figured with mine being such a base model of z's that whoever had it before me put them in. So I never checked to see if anything was done to the rear end since I'm just learning about these suspensions so I wasn't sure when I saw the tsp note about chassis mounted torque arm. Sorry
I was asking cus the stock 10 bolt is pretty much the weakest link on these cars. Especially on a m6 car. Some people have no problems with their 10 bolt + cam but others do.

Its just something you might want to keep an eye for and some spare cash in case it goes out on you.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

First scrap the FlowDisaster and get some headers and a decent exhaust. Do you have a direct flow lid yet? Also a 2001 may already have an Ls6 intake manifold. Get it to a track and see what you run ET and MPH will give you the best picture of how the car actualy runs, then get a base line dyno so you know a starting point for your mods.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 AM

If it was me I would start with bolts ons first.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
First scrap the FlowDisaster and get some headers and a decent exhaust. Do you have a direct flow lid yet? Also a 2001 may already have an Ls6 intake manifold. Get it to a track and see what you run ET and MPH will give you the best picture of how the car actualy runs, then get a base line dyno so you know a starting point for your mods.
yeah 01-02 SHOULD have the LS6 intake, ill find out for sure when i pull it off. and yeah that is a flowDISASTER!!! the muffler rattles more then anything else in the car, very embarrassing knowing your 46k mile LS1 is in amazing shape but as soon as someone hears the rattle its a POS. I don't plan on dragging this car at all really, I've never gone and done a race and feel like when i run a 15 second run in a 13 second car would be utterly sad haha. i really want to start road racing/autocrossing. that is something i really would love to do. ive got VIR a few hours away but its super expensive and im leaving the area soon. I will be going to the same dyno i took my cobalt to just to compare the 2 cars stock for stock and then as i add my parts ill keep going to the same one until i go to texas. i dont have a free flowing lid but i did take a dremel to it like one of the stickies said, i didnt want to buy a lid because originally i was going to go FI. but now ill take baby steps to FI if i ever go that route.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I was asking cus the stock 10 bolt is pretty much the weakest link on these cars. Especially on a m6 car. Some people have no problems with their 10 bolt + cam but others do.

Its just something you might want to keep an eye for and some spare cash in case it goes out on you.
yeah i understand what you mean, i know im going to have to replace it soon after these mods because i already had a thread about how i heard some ratcheting in the rear even after i changed the rear fluid and added the additives. the gm dealer tech said it sounded like a worn c clip. and with the rear end i am still deciding which is best, theres a million threads on it and every other one is saying 9inch>s60>12bolt then i open another 12>s60>9inch then another s60>9inch>12bolt. haha, i just want a bullet proof rear i dont mind a slight drivetrain loss or a couple added pounds. i figure after the heads cam and full exhaust ill go rear/clutch/tires then suspension then back to some more power. haha but with this first heads cam exhaust purchase im thinking about getting a double roller or ls2 chain since i heard it was good to replace that and possibly a oil pump? mine is doing great but if thats even remotely and issue in these cars i want to change it since i want to take some twisties.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

The "best" rear end would depend on your situation and build, but generally speaking, the 9" is the strongest out of all 3. However, that doesnt make the other 2 any less strong.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Zlow28
The "best" rear end would depend on your situation and build, but generally speaking, the 9" is the strongest out of all 3. However, that doesnt make the other 2 any less strong.
Im looking for something budget friendly mainly. obviously you get what you pay for but ive heard all 3 are pretty beefy. i want a good posi in the rear for when and if i take it to a track (curvy).

side note how will this cam perform that comes with the kit? good/bad/too much/too little/could be better?

"Camshaft specs are 228/230 duration, .585 in./.585 in. lift, 112 lobe separation angle."

Quick Reply: Where to start.