Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What springs to replace worn out patriots with? Cam specs inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
Is there anything I need to order with the spring kit for a "flawless" installation? Does it come with everything needed like shims and the sort? I've never swapped springs before and want to make sure I have all my eggs in one basket.
The kit comes with springs, retainers, locators, seals and locks, no shims are needed unless you have LS7 heads.

You will need a spring compressor and an air valve holder, both are available on the website if you don't have them. I recommend pushing the seals on rather than beating them on. I use a 12mm 12 point socket, a longer rocker bolt with a fender washer and a pry bar to push the seals on with. Make sure you lube the inside of the seals to help them slide on.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I love the spring kit. I went with the .660 platinum and tool steel retainer set. I just finished putting half of it on today. Everything has gone great. I'm using the TDC method ,though, with the Comp Cams tool. A quick tap on the top of the valve when I first start to compress the springs releases the locks without the valves ever having to press into the pistons.

I wanted to add my experience with the Comp Cams tool, since I found it near impossible to find any information about it before purchasing it. Instead of using the two m8 bolts that came with it to fasten it to the rocker mounts I purchased two class 10.9 m8x1.25 x50 flanged bolts. These have worked spectaculary and cost $1.30 at the local Race Brothers Farm and Home Supply. They are the perfect length and strength to grab the threads in the head without pulling them out and not bending when the tool is used. I just thought I'd throw those specs out there for anyone who is or will be in the position I was in. Here is an example of what the bolts I purchased look like: https://www.belmetric.com/images/BF8x50.jpg

TL;DR I have no complaints and thank everyone for their suggestions and help.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The kit comes with springs, retainers, locators, seals and locks, no shims are needed unless you have LS7 heads.

You will need a spring compressor and an air valve holder, both are available on the website if you don't have them. I recommend pushing the seals on rather than beating them on. I use a 12mm 12 point socket, a longer rocker bolt with a fender washer and a pry bar to push the seals on with. Make sure you lube the inside of the seals to help them slide on.
It's important to me so I need to ask if these kits are made in the USA?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
It's important to me so I need to ask if these kits are made in the USA?
They're made in the USA to the same extent, or greater, than the Comp, Manley, Lunati, and many other spring kits are.

Quick Reply: What springs to replace worn out patriots with? Cam specs inside.